The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Some will not integrate > Comments

Some will not integrate : Comments

By John Stone, published 25/11/2005

John Stone argues the Federal Government is not facing the reality of an exclusive Islamic culture.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. Page 19
  10. 20
  11. 21
  12. 22
  13. ...
  14. 35
  15. 36
  16. 37
  17. All
Everyone Part 1

Pretty heated debate huh?

Now all of this passionate philosophical debate is a wonderful thing and out of such debates has grown the world as we know it, for good or bad, but the reality is the further you sit away from the fence (on either side!) the more chance that violence is a bornin’. Anyone got the definition of “Fanatic” handy? Ergo the more compromise the more peace (bit simplistic I know, but 350 words is sorta small to get such complicated concepts across)

Now let’s look at this debate from a more pragmatic viewpoint without bandying about the old PC do gooders vs. racist bigots comments.

We all love this Fantastic Wonderful Lucky country we live in. Right? (Why live here if we don’t?)

We are all concerned with our own and our loved one’s safety. Right? (Bit heartless if you don’t)

Now as far as I can see, this issue isn’t about how screwed this country already is, but whether Muslims should be allowed to immigrate here, as proposed in John Stones article. My opinion, after reading the 3 related articles by MR J. Stone (since only going on about just the one article would be half cocked surely? Not knowing the whole story and all that? Taking it out of context, etc. Note to self…point belaboured enough.) I have to say there are some things I strongly agree about in his articles, some valid points, and some I strongly don’t.

Firstly I would like to commend him on his actually giving some solutions to the problem as seen from his perceived point of view. Looking back there doesn’t really seem to be much constructive criticism from a realistic point of view, just a “modicum” (new word…found it yesterday, and I think it goes well with sarcasm) of mud slinging, use of soapbox preaching, and individual flaming (says as I get into my fireproof suit :P HeHe)

To Be Continued……. (POST 1 of 5)
Posted by Country_Boy, Friday, 2 December 2005 7:18:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Everyone Part 2

I would also like to agree with his belief that immigration into Australia and its follow up be much better controlled. In fact, some of his solutions mentioned to achieve that are quite reasonable ways to assimilate potential immigrants into OUR society. Lets not forget at this point is that we didn’t not ask the most of these people to come here so asking them to have a knowledge of our laws and customs, and being able to speak the language is really not too much to ask. Is it? (Oz takes them in + they learn the language = compromise). Is it our right to pick and choose just a little bit? The same way you pick and choose who you let into your own home?

Don’t get me wrong, I strongly disagree with his suggestion that multiculturalism is doomed and Muslims should be stopped at the door all together.

1. Multiculturalism is the reason why I can have just about any ethnic food I want to try, it is the reason why science has progressed as far as it has (for all of the history buffs, Which country developed the atomic bomb in WWII by scientists of which nationality? Would that be the US with German scientists?) , it is new ideas, new perspectives, new worlds to explore, new energy, new debates. I don’t know about you but I don’t want to live in a stagnant backwater country (take China 30 years ago) because I am scared of change. Better get off the 21st century if you do. Multicultural policies are why I am here. I don’t want anyone to give up their past, since as they say, it makes us who we are (and EVERYONE in Australia can trace their ancestors back to immigrants….EVEN the aboriginals...just a bit longer ago)

To Be Continued……. (POST 2 of 5)
Posted by Country_Boy, Friday, 2 December 2005 7:19:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Most of the ethnic groups I've worked and broken bread with in this country hate each other. They may be doctors or security guards it's all the same feeling. Without strong government they'd be all at each other's throats.

Multiculturalism working?

The Turkish, Lebanese, Arab, Indonesian, Persian, Nth African and Albanian moslems don't seem be drowning in a sea of islamic love for each other as is often pointed out by Irfan himself. Maybe we should give them their own islamic mini state within Australia? It'd be an interesting experiment and after enjoying a ringside seat on mossie behaviour for many years in different countries, a top rating reality show to boot.
Posted by CARNIFEX, Saturday, 3 December 2005 5:43:03 AM
Carniflex :Shooooosh, do not make such humorous suggestions or even think of such ideas, our Elites and looter with moochers might just ramp multiculturalism to the next level of surrendering sovereignty, what you thought to be a silly suggestion and a slight humorous intent, will perhaps be their Ideological wet dream, a concept for a newer strand of Moochers and looters. What ever made you think of such an Idea: Please only think such things; please do not displays those thoughts in public, their Ideological Ideas are bad and sinister at the least- as they are, no need to encourage further ones.
Posted by All-, Saturday, 3 December 2005 7:20:02 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Can I please remind everyone of the cruel way in which the naturally evolved Australians were displaced from this land by the British? Makes terrorism look like childs play.
(Terrorism is nonetheless a very very bad thing of course,worthy of the new laws :O) )
Posted by savoir68, Saturday, 3 December 2005 7:22:07 PM
Everyone Part 3

2. I have no problem with any Religion, Race or physical problem, (and before anyone asks, I am a green Martian scientologist with one leg….it really doesn’t matter :P) so I am sure that the majority of the individuals who are Moslem and want to come to our country will add to society immeasurably but like some of the posters have kindly pointed out there is a minority that won’t. So how do we stop the ones that will be detrimental?

May I tell a little story? What if all of the currently active bullies only wore red shirts? Now if you stopped all of the children wearing red shirts from entering the play ground it wouldn’t be very fair because some aren’t bullies. Oh the dilemma what to do? What if there was a test? A bully test? A screening process maybe? That way you could stop only the bullies from going in, because it’s hard enough to pick the bullies you’ve already got than to add a few more.

Now would it be reasonable to apply that to this question of Muslim immigration? (I know I know….on a very simplistic level) We all agree that currently a lot of these terrorist acts perpetrated overseas were by fundamentalist Moslem groups? So I can see why a lot of people are afraid that we could inadvertently import the problem to Oz. Wouldn’t the screening process be a better compromise? Wouldn’t this screening process also help stop any of the yellow or blue shirted bullies getting into the playground to? (Be they Scottish Gay Thugs, The Nasty Faction, or Penguins for Moral Fortitude Note not real) It is a matter of CONTROL because bad things happen when you can’t control the situation (ask any 747 pilot).

We know Fanatics and fundamentalists are BAD. We know that a lot of the currently dangerous ones belong to a particular group, so I am enough of a realist not to realise it narrows down the search somewhat don’t you think?

To Be Continued……. (POST 3 of 5)
Posted by Country_Boy, Saturday, 3 December 2005 7:48:55 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. Page 19
  10. 20
  11. 21
  12. 22