The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Bringing Terror to Australia

Bringing Terror to Australia

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. 17
  13. ...
  14. 20
  15. 21
  16. 22
  17. All
Why is it we never get to hear the views of the Australian indigenous as to how they feel about this ?
Posted by Indyvidual, Saturday, 8 October 2022 9:43:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard

Dear Indyvidual,

You wrote :

« … what I do suggest are places that the UN arrange with countries to temporarily provide safe refuge for these people at the expense of the mother country of the childrens mothers until such time that all identities are proven & acceptable to go to the country they claim to be from & are accepted by ! »

It’s our problem, Indyvidual, not the UN’s problem or anybody else’s problem. If that’s what we want, we have to do it ourselves. We are very good at it. We’ve been doing it for years.

We parked illegal would-be immigrants in long-term offshore detention centres on Christmas Island, Papua New Guinea, Nauru, and Manus Island. We also parked some in onshore detention centres in Port Hedland and Curtin on the west coast of Western Australia.

We parked so-called short-term would-be immigrants in various centres in or near Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, Darwin and Weipa in Queensland.

In addition, we operate a number of Immigration Residential Housing Centres (IRHCs), Immigration Transit Accommodation Centres (ITACs) and Alternative Places of Detention (APODs).

So, we’re fairly well versed in the question of finding temporary accommodation for people in transit without having to ask the UN or anyone else to do it for us.

The only problem is we have a pretty deplorable track record of the way we run these detention centres. It has been reported that refugees have been regularly subjected to beatings, racial slurs, and sexual assaults. Long-term detention has caused severe mental illness and suicide as well as rioting among the detainees.

Organisations such as refugee advocates, Amnesty International, the Australian Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission, Human Rights Watch, and the United Nations have all accused us of committing human rights abuses.

If we do repatriate these men, women and children from the Syrian detention camps, we need to mend our ways and do it in a much more civilised manner and treat them with respect.

I don't think that's too much to ask.

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Sunday, 9 October 2022 7:09:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Banjo

We need to "mend our ways" and treat terrorists "with respect"? Really?
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 9 October 2022 8:00:21 AM
ttbn wrote: "but I have to say that you are a bit obsessive on this one."

I admit it. I am obsessive about the rule of law. The law is they are Australian Citizens. The law is you can't prosecute people for things you think they might do in the future. The law is the government can't withdraw citizenship without due process.

I think the law matters. Its the only thing that separates us from groups like...ahem...ISIS.
Posted by mhaze, Sunday, 9 October 2022 1:08:42 PM
mhaze

I am not interested in prosecuting these people: I just do not want them here.

The only law applicable is part 5.5 of 'Foreign incursions and recruitment offences', which says that it is an offence for Australians to join foreigned armed forces. Life imprisonment is the punishment.

Perhaps your 'obsession' extends to only certain laws.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 9 October 2022 3:17:50 PM
"The only law applicable is part 5.5 of 'Foreign incursions and recruitment offences', which says that it is an offence for Australians to join foreigned armed forces. "

But....but.....but the kids didn't join the foreign armed forces!!

You go round in circles saying you know it was the parents and then wanting to blame the kids.
Posted by mhaze, Sunday, 9 October 2022 3:50:51 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. 17