The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Bringing Terror to Australia

Bringing Terror to Australia

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14
  13. ...
  14. 20
  15. 21
  16. 22
  17. All

Dear ttbn,

You wrote :

« Any Australian who thinks that these creatures should be brought here is as stupid and as dangerous as the government responsible for the travesty »

I indicated in my previous post, ttbn – that countries have not only a duty to protect their citizens but also a moral, legal, and political responsibility to recuperate citizens that are being held in custody in the Syrian detention centres.

It is not a “travesty” (of justice, of the law?) to “think” they “should be brought here”. It is a “travesty” of justice and our international obligations not to repatriate Australian citizens held in custody in detention centres in Syria.

If, as you indicate, the government is planning to repatriate them it is simply because it is our country’s moral, legal, and political responsibility to do so.

Obviously, it’s not without risk but it’s not some other country’s problem. It’s our problem and we have to manage it as best we can.

Apart from that, I don’t like it any more than you do.

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Friday, 7 October 2022 9:01:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Banjo,

None of us - if we're honest - like it. But as you
point our - the government is behaving as it should.
And taking every precaution while doing so. We can't
ask for any more and should be grateful that we
have the kind of government that we do.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 7 October 2022 9:08:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard

Dear Foxy,

Thank you for your comments.

You wrote earlier :

« It should be noted that the first Australian children to be brought here back in 2019 are reported to be now living normal lives in the community, attending school, and playing sport. A decision to repatriate the remaining children will provide them with the same opportunities »

Yes, that’s very encouraging, Foxy. The only problem is that severe traumatism at an early age often does not produce its worst effects until the child becomes a teenager or reaches early adulthood. In some cases, it can be quite devastating.

That is why it is urgent to repatriate young children to a safe, secure environment.

There is ample medical documentation on this

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Friday, 7 October 2022 9:33:30 AM
mhaze,

Abandoning, if you think that's the appropriate word, not because of their parents, but because of what they have become because of their parents. I have mentioned the psychological fact that culture/beliefs are set in the very early years of life.

You say "Citizenship has to mean something". It should of course, and does to most of us, but not to people who leave their country, to fight with or succour enemies of our country, culture and way of life. If they don’t value Australian citizenship - and I say that they don't - they do not deserve the benefits of that citizenship, which also carries responsibilities.

I believe in fairness and humanitarianism; but there are limits to everything, and I strongly believe that the government is exceeding those limits. Further, based on information I've come by, I don’t think that ASIO is up to the job, but that's another story; the elected government has to take full responsibility for this.

Banjo

I'm sure you mean well, but I'm also sure that you are wrong on this one
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 7 October 2022 9:36:28 AM
Dear Banjo,

We can only hope that these children were taken out
of that ghastly environment in time. So far the signs
are looking good. Let's hope they shall continue to
do so. The government is doing all it possibly can.
To safeguard both us and them.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 7 October 2022 9:45:22 AM
Were these children born here or there ? Why are adults born here or arrived here as toddlers & have no questionable record being deported just because they weren't naturalised ?
I would suggest that if these ISIS brides/mothers are willing to denounce the organisations they voluntarily aligned themselves with then the Australian authorities should request the UN to find a place at the cost of Australia until they're deemed sufficiently recovered to their original Australian culture to return to Australia.
There are more than enough poor quality citizens here already !
Posted by Indyvidual, Friday, 7 October 2022 10:01:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14