The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Bringing Terror to Australia

Bringing Terror to Australia

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. Page 15
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. 18
  13. ...
  14. 20
  15. 21
  16. 22
  17. All
The kids are damaged goods that you wouldn't want near your grandchildren; but you know that's not going to happen. It’s so easy to be virtuous when it's other people who will have to bear the consequences. It won’t effect the politicians either. It won't affect me. It’s just I feel for the people it will affect.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 9 October 2022 4:55:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
mhaze,
What are you prepared to do for these people ?
Posted by Indyvidual, Sunday, 9 October 2022 8:46:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ttbn,
It could affect you if you happen to be where the bomb goes off.
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 9 October 2022 9:39:00 PM

Dear ttbn,

I wrote :

« If we do repatriate these men, women, and children from the Syrian detention camps, we need to mend our ways and do it in a much more civilised manner and treat them with respect »

And you replied :

« We need to "mend our ways" and treat terrorists "with respect"? Really? »

Yes, ttbn, that seems to be the “spirit” of our federal terrorist laws which stipulate under the section that deals with “Rights under a preventative detention order” (Division 105 of the Criminal Code Act 1995) :

« A person detained under a preventative detention order has the right to :

• be treated humanely and not be subjected to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment

• contact a lawyer

• contact family members and employers to let them know they are safe

• not be questioned

• have a copy of the preventative detention order, which contains a summary of the reasons for making the order

• an interpreter if they have difficulty with English.

• Children under 16 years old cannot be detained. Someone at least 16 years old but under 18 can be detained but must be detained separately from adults. They can have a parent or guardian visit them while they are detained »

Perhaps the government will promulgate legislative amendments to our current laws to deal with the specific case of men, women and children repatriated from foreign terrorist detention centres. But, though the “letter” of the law would change, the “spirit” of the law would not, to respect detainees’ human rights.

Nevertheless, ttbn, as I indicated in my post on page 7 of this thread, I, personally, see terrorism as an act of war against innocent civilian populations. Consequently, I should like to see the perpetrators of such acts, and all those aiding and abetting them brought to trial under our system of courts-martial and Defence Force Magistrate.

I respectfully suggest that capital punishment should be reintroduced in Australia to apply potentially to anybody under our jurisdiction found guilty of acts of terrorism.

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Monday, 10 October 2022 12:32:58 AM
• Children under 16 years old cannot be detained. Someone at least 16 years old but under 18 can be detained but must be detained separately from adults. They can have a parent or guardian visit them while they are detained

I'm not sure that's technically true.

detention
noun: detention; plural noun: detentions

the action of detaining someone or the state of being detained in official custody.
"the fifteen people arrested were still in police detention"

http://behaviour.education.qld.gov.au/procedures-guidelines-forms/disciplinary-consequences/Documents/fact-sheet-detention.pdf

A detention is a consequence that schools may use to address inappropriate student behaviour. Detentions can
be applied during school hours, out-of-school hours or on non-school days (for example, a Saturday morning).
Principals make a decision about what happens in their school in consultation with their school community,
and if detentions are to be part of the disciplinary consequences used in the school then this must be clearly
explained in the Student Code of Conduct.

Should after school hours detentions not be considered that a person under 16 is being detained?

Does it make any difference that one is enacted by a school and the other is enacted by police?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Monday, 10 October 2022 4:45:58 AM

Dear Armchair Critic,

Here is the link to the federal government's web page on the subject of "Preventative detention orders" :

http://www.ag.gov.au/national-security/australias-counter-terrorism-laws/preventative-detention-orders

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Monday, 10 October 2022 5:44:08 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. Page 15
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. 18