The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Deconstruction of Wedding Vows

The Deconstruction of Wedding Vows

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. 12
  14. 13
  15. 14
  16. All
Dwg: “Although bitten (chewed severely actually) from my marriage I would still recommend it to anyone.”

That makes no sense Dave – why would you do such a thing.

I’m starting to really appreciate whistler’s wisdom here. He’s is one of the better excuses I’ve heard for avoiding commitment to crazy power imbalances found in today’s marriages; yet so exquisitely plausible.

Indeed, why would any man own a woman at such exorbitantly inflated costs of ownership? Much better not to own at a time when vows are meaningless and contract so unenforceable ;-)
Posted by Seeker, Monday, 24 August 2009 9:49:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
G'Day All,
Seeker, A marriage is not ownership it is the giving of oneself to a union that should enhance the contentment of both & satisfy & compliment each other.
I suppose you would prefer to be a bachelor & bring your kids up to be the same way.
A woman who gives of herself to a man still has the right of free will & is not a bought & paid for item although I wonder at times. Neither is the man the absolute rule of a marriage & is not the owner of that marriage he is only a partner in that marriage & is there to secure the home so the woman has a safe & secure place to raise that mans children.
Further I would recommend marriage because it is a declaration of ones love for another & if treated right can be the most rewarding thing one could do in ones lifetime it is just a matter of faith.
Thanks for your time from Dave
Posted by dwg, Monday, 24 August 2009 12:21:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Fractelle,
Your point noted even if your etymology is suspect.
Just a quick point or two before I go and get two mirrors for a better examination.
First a proposition is only as good as its ability withstand analysis otherwise it's a bias, prejudice.

If the objective is to gain equity in all things (including wage parity) how is addressing as a Human rights issue compromising/denying that?
Conversely by making it a battle of the genders opens the issue up to claims of simply superimposing one bias/prejudice on the other in which case there is still injustice. Just the power play is different.

Those who overtly or aggressively promote the issue in those terms open themselves to exactly the same odious crimes.

Like I said what happened to logic,objectivity and proportion.
I'm in the front line of campaigning for equity regardless if the recipient is male,female, gay, transsexual or a child. the base issue is the same HUMAN right. In essence the method can compromise the objective.
Posted by examinator, Monday, 24 August 2009 12:41:32 PM
G'Day All,
Off the beaten track, something that I was given to read.
Eve's Side of The Story.
After three weeks in the Garden of Eden, God came to visit Eve.
"So, how is everything going?"inquired God.
"It is all so beautiful, God,"she replied. "the sunrises & sunsets are breathtaking, the smells, the sights, everything is wonderful, but I have just one problem.
It's these breasts you have given me. The middle one pushes the other two out & I am constantly knocking them with my arms, catching them on branches & snagging them on bushes. They're a real pain."
And Eve went on to tell God that since many other parts of her body came in pairs, such as her limbs,eyes,ears,etc. She felt that having only two breasts might leave her body more "symmetrically balanced."
"That's a fair point," replied God. "But it was my first shot at this, youknow. I gave the animals six breasts, so I figured that you needed only half of those, but I see that you are right ....I will fix it up right away."
And God reached down, removed the middle breast & tossed it into the bushes.
Three weeks passed & God once again visited Eve in the Garden of Eden.
"Well, Eve, how is my favourite creation?"
"Just fantastic,"she replied, "But for one oversight. You see, all the animals are paired off. The ewe has a ram & the cow has her bull. All the animals have a mate except me. I feel so alone..."
"God thought for a moment & said "you know, Eve, you are right. How could I have overlooked this? You do need a mate & I will immediately create a man from a part of you. Let's see...Where did I put that useless Tit?"
Now doesn't THAT make more sense than all that crap about the rib?
" For the men with a sense of humour & women who figure this makes sense.
Thanks from Dave
Posted by dwg, Monday, 24 August 2009 1:40:03 PM
Houellebecq, ours will be a “stylish marriage”, small but well presented

Whistler “because marriage is a method by which men control women.”

I know my future wife disagrees with you, especially since she is very financially independent and is freely engaging in this “contract”

(this marriage is not what we “need”. It is all about what we “want”)

TPP “He is quite amazing, he acknowledges and appreciates what a lovely wife he has and voices it often.[grin]”

One of the secrets of a great marriage … mutual adoration, repeatedly expressed and demonstrated.

Re Germaine Greer – what would she know.. she has built her ego and reputation by beating up other women (even more than men).

Dwg thankyou for your wishes.

For what it is worth

I had only one simple and absolute expectation from a future wife/life partner :

“someone who wants me as much as I want them”

I have that.

Our vows are still to be discussed but they will not include the word “Obey”.

dwg marriage jokes….

Maria and Luigi on their wedding night…. (my apologies to any Italians reading.. it’s the way it was told to me)

Luigi takes off his trousers and throws them across at Maria

“Put on my trousers Maria” … little Maria protests but Luigi insists….

She pulls up the trousers and they immediately fall back down… the waist line being twice the size of Marias tiny waist….

Luigi say “See Maria… now you know who wears the trousers in this marriage”

Maria. Feels silly and humiliated until she has an idea and throws her panties across at Luigi

“Luigi… put on my panties” she proclaims

Luigi tries to protest but Maria reminds him how she complied

Luigi struggles but can only get one leg into the panties and then only up to the knee

He eventually throws the panties back at Maria and say.. “No this is impossible”

And Maria simply turns to Luigi and says..

“Now we understand one another, Luigi…..

If I do not wear the trousers, you do not get into my panties!”
Posted by Col Rouge, Monday, 24 August 2009 4:38:43 PM
Oh Foxy that “aye” thing is awful and common, my first English pseudo type in-laws always made fun of it and it’s a terrible habit to get out of. Now if talking to Kiwi teens you’ll often get a response of “yeah aye”. Means nothing but shuts most adults up as it sounds like an agreement.

I get the computer thing, up until recently I didn’t have speakers on my computer which annoyed me no end. My local shops are a bit limited so hubby usually picks stuff up a bit further afield and he is the most forgetful man on the planet.

Quick story – first partner brings home an IBM tower, his first big all grown up proper computer and it was obviously love at first sight. The things is huge and most impressive. It is still sitting by itself in the middle of the lounge floor like a trophy come morning when 18 months old gets up and the first thing the wee fella does is push it over and gosh it made quite a startling crashing sound.

Partner wanders out and oh the look on his face, he looks at his puter and back to the toddler then just glares at me. Well I just launched “How dare you leave the thing where a baby could get it, do you know how much damage that could have done if it fell on his foot….ad infinitum” It is never too early in the morning for me to re-direct blame.

You did a silly thing? Welcome to my world.[smile]
Posted by The Pied Piper, Monday, 24 August 2009 6:50:08 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11