The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Deconstruction of Wedding Vows

The Deconstruction of Wedding Vows

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. All
Foxy, TPP
It was a old man ironic hen pecked married joke!

about being constantly being told how inadequate he is. hence the ;-)
Like the family joke of referring to mum and now I joke about my wife as "the bomb thrower" to people who don't know her but know me well. both barely 1.5 mtrs

My dad when he first went to PNG stayed in the singles quarters for 12 months. (shortage of available houses in Port Moresby then). As we were about to join him he spread the word about "the bomb thrower" and how she was going to sort out these wayward men and other terrible stories. One such fabricated story was how he lost to the first joint of his left hand index finger...he said she bit it off in a fight...(it was actually while as a boy he was cleaning the chain of a bike and his little sister turned the pedal.

We arrived in a DC4, there was a crowd 30 or so of these fellas waiting to see this vicious monster woman....out stepped 1.49 mtr 30 something kg mum and (cute as a button)4.5 year old me(I know, what happened?).

The group were stunned they expected maybe a 1.9 mtre 100kg staff sergeant type. He never actually said, he let them imagine, he was an outrageous kidder at times perish the though I may have picked up some of his warped humour... and passed it on.
Posted by examinator, Thursday, 27 August 2009 3:49:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Examinator,

Loved your story - Thanks.

And, no, you don't have a warped sense of
humour - or if you do - then I must be warped as
well.

Dear Dave,

I've used up all of my posts in the 'Faking it,'
thread, so I'll digress a moment here - and
hope that Piper won't mind - and answer you
now.

You wrote that I'm for women's rights but that I
don't appear to be a strong feminist - that I'm
not 'anti-men.' Most genuine feminists aren't
anti-men. Feminism was about giving women
'choices,' as I understand it. In any case
I don't like putting people into
'pigeon holes,' or 'labelling,' them.
Feminism means different things to different
people (just like happiness does).
As the old joke tell us:

"Men only call themselves 'feminists' in the hope
of getting a more intelligent root."

Seriously though, I'm of the generation that
doesn't assign 'roles,' to each other. All
possible options are open and equally acceptable
to both sexes. To us it's a person's individual human
qualities, rather than his or her biological sex,
that is the primary measure of that person's worth and
achievement.

All The Best...
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 27 August 2009 8:47:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy,
That is just plain sick "an intelligent root" I didn't think a bloke was interested in intelligence when it came to that, actually it would probably be easier without the intelligence.
Jokes aside I still say you are not a radical that is after male domination like a lot out there.
Anyway may your Lord shine on you & your family well from Dave
Posted by dwg, Thursday, 27 August 2009 10:03:42 PM
Your dad sounds cool Exam. It is a funny thing that we do aye – this physical impression we have of people.

That’s the funniest thing about the internet – or back when I had my little site we’d often meet, have big regular gatherings. A Friday night at the local would kick off a whole new strain of discussions.

Now you’d talk to someone in public and sort of have an image of them and then meeting them we were so often completely wrong with the visuals.

Extremely intelligent people who I thought were mature and thoughtful with amazing minds and they’d turn out to be the 16 year old dude with multi coloured hair.

Or the user who couldn’t spell anything right and said bizarre stuff and you kept telling to bugger off and not get cheeky and he’s the suit wearing owner of some big company.

Met one 12 year old boy who was a wiz with computers and we ended up best friends even with him being about 12 years younger and my other best is friend is 20 years older than me. She would of course consider it very immature of me to refer to her as “best friend”. I suspect when I reach her age I wouldn’t have gained equal maturity.

Oh Foxy I am hurt and upset you would de-rail my thread, I feel personally violated and deeply saddened that you would do this to me in such a callous and coldhearted way without thought or reflection of how this may make me suffer right through to the core of my being. Ah I crack myself up.

I’m interested; I don’t understand what feminism is.

“... I'm of the generation that doesn't assign 'roles,' to each other.”

What generation is that? One 37 generations in to the future and you have wizzed back to say hello?

Okay I’m going to bed now cause a bit of strain is starting to show and I don’t want to have to wake up and apologise to too many people in the morning.
Posted by The Pied Piper, Thursday, 27 August 2009 10:12:47 PM
Dear Piper,

I hope that you're feeling a bit better this morning.
If not - just re-read some of our posts on the
'faking it,' thread and see how highly you're
regarded on OLO.

We care about you - and want to see your cheerful
self back again.

You asked me what generation I was referring to
when I said that I'm of the generation that
doesn't assign 'roles,' to men and women.

All I meant by that was that I grew up with a
different way of looking at things then my
mother's generation did or the generation
of women before her. More options are open to
us - and it's possible to explore a wider variety
of roles.

Anyway, must run - you take care and have a nice day.

Thinking of you.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 28 August 2009 9:50:12 AM
Foxy:“All I meant by that was that I grew up with a
different way of looking at things then my
mother's generation did or the generation
of women before her. More options are open to
us - and it's possible to explore a wider variety
of roles.

Anyway, must run - you take care and have a nice day.”

Thank you Foxy, I hope your day goes well too. I wish everyone felt the way you do about pigeon holing people – I’m just reacting to home life where the department treats all foster parents like our opinions or experience can never equate to what they believe should be put in place within our homes. I have been jammed in to their perception of caregivers as a group and finding it an impossible attitude to change.

I think that is the old feminist view – any stay at home mum is letting the side down and too stupid to be listened to. And yeah I had enough going on without additional e-mail problems.

But I should snap out of it, lovely day here, kids are buzzing around and all happy, healthy. Might go play with my sky ball.[smile]
Posted by The Pied Piper, Friday, 28 August 2009 10:28:06 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy