The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Deconstruction of Wedding Vows

The Deconstruction of Wedding Vows

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. ...
  13. 12
  14. 13
  15. 14
  16. All
Fractelle = cradle Snatching (joke)
I am younger than my wife.

Foxy were you referring to me with the 'huh?'
If so sorry curse that home brew!
I was in essence saying the concepts of marriage and vows have been appropriated by religions i.e. Christians which is patriarchal ..god the father, son and holy spook. Marriage is essentially a cultural throw back to the need to protect women and children and ensure the next generation of subjects.
The original purpose of vows was to 'fix' allegiances to the hierarchy which was not always male i.e Queen Boadicea et al.
Govts etc use marriage ceremonies vows etc to keep track of and enforce sovereignty over individuals i.e Aussies beget Aussies
In reality we have been culturally conditioned to this idea of ceremony/vows.
There is still a lag in that most women and many men want the emotional security provided by marriage.

The last bit simply means that the notion and practice of women's lib simply imposed another bias into society.
To me replacing one bias with another becomes a battle between the genders when the real game should be HUMAN rights. wrong is wrong (full stop).
Today much of what passes for feminism is doctrinal which facilitates the gender battle which in turn distracts from the real battle Human Rights and equity for all...equality has overtones of all the same. Women are women men are men and viva la diference
I suspect that this idea wouldn't be popular to some so hence I am writing this with a disguise on. |-) got it now ? Blame the home brew...speaking of which I feel a thirst coming on. :-
Posted by examinator, Sunday, 23 August 2009 7:19:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey Foxy why aren’t you laughing more today? One poem beautiful and one clever and funny. Thank you for your effort and your thoughts. Whistler was spot on, today was gorgeous in Sydney and even a couple of hours north like I am. Hubby left on business trip so now my whingey needy side has kicked in. I will start with the most romantic song I know.[smile]

When I wake up yeah I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who wakes up next to you
When I go out yeah I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who goes along with you

If I get drunk yes I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who gets drunk next to you
And if I haver yeah I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who's havering to you

But I would walk 500 miles
And I would walk 500 more
Just to be the man who walked 1000 miles
To fall down at your door

When I'm working yes I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who's working hard for you
And when the money comes in for the work I'll do
I'll pass almost every penny on to you

When I come home yeah I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who comes back home to you
And if I grow old well I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who's growing old with you

But I would walk 500 miles
And I would walk 500 more
Just to be the man who walked 1000 miles
To fall down at your door

When I'm lonely yes I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man whose lonely without you
When I'm dreaming yes I know I'm gonna dream
Dream about the time when I'm with you.

Chorus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69AvNm8zubo

Keep the happy thoughts alive Foxy.
Posted by The Pied Piper, Sunday, 23 August 2009 7:31:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Examinator,

Yes -it was you I was referring to.
I was teasing - and you called me on it,
(by going to all that trouble to further explain).
Thank You - you're a gentleman - and I'm naughty.

Dear Piper,

(Sigh, swoon), what beautiful words - loved it!
Except I can't view anything on u-tube -
I've got an old crap computer - very basic -
and limited. I keep hoping that someone from
the family will buy me a new one - sometime soon.

As to why I haven't laughed recently?
I did a silly thing - all my own fault -
but I've learned my lesson (hopefully),
and won't repeat the same mistake again.
I'm fine - and it was an educational experience
of what not to do.

Thanks for your concern though.

Before I forget - (you're going to laugh) -
I've picked up something from reading your
posts on OLO - I hadn't noticed I was doing
it - but hubbie asked, "Why are you finishing
your sentences with the word - "aye"
"Blame Piper," says I with a smile.
He just looked at me puzzled.
Then I explained. He loved it.
As do we all!
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 23 August 2009 9:47:19 PM
Such a pleasure reading the last few pages, people.

Thank you.

Examinator, p'raps you should ease up on the analysis (notice its prefix 'anal',bet you thought that was a coincidence). Gentle smile with hint of teasing in eyes. By no means give up the home brew - I am told it is chock full of goodness.

About feminism, the time in western countries is to focus on human equity. Although must point out latest news, that here in Australian women still earn 30% less than male counterparts. However, feminism is still a vital need in those countries where women aren't allowed outside without wearing a tent and in the company of a male, where they are not educated, where acid is thrown in their face for simply being human and where weddings are about business deals between men (I knew I could link back to topic).

Foxy and Piper - an honour to know you both. Foxy a shame you can't access Youtube, source of solace and entertainment for me AND you have missed all my marvellous links. That poem about "heart stomping" I thought rather fitted other characters who bitterly lurk OLO.

Whistler, learning more about you and enjoying the experience.

The rain is fairly p!$$ing down here this morning and in Victoria, that is a good thing.

Cheers
Posted by Fractelle, Monday, 24 August 2009 8:26:34 AM
G'Day All,
Weddings & Marriage?
Marriage is supposed to be the ultimate announcement of ones love for another & that that love is so great that two are prepared to live as one to meet their greater goals.
That greater goal is reproduction & the continuance of the human race.There is no greater gift that a woman can give a man than to suffer the birth of a mans child.
The role of the woman was to bear the child, nurture, comfort & give the child a secure base from which to venture from & run to in their learning years.
The role of the man was to supply & protect that secure base for the woman & to do this a man needed his family to abide by his decisions he made so he could keep that base safe & secure.
Marriage therefore is then the bringing of these instincts together for the betterment of the children of that marriage & progress the human race.
Then we must strive to enhance that which will bring the children to a better understanding of what the human race is & where we differ from other mammals & animals (not real sure between me & ape) & form a stategy to bring about a true understanding of human rights & the responsibilities that go with them.
Although bitten (chewed severely actually) from my marriage I would still recommend it to anyone. Thanks from Dave
Posted by dwg, Monday, 24 August 2009 8:29:54 AM
Love's Philosophy
by Percy Bysshe Shelley

The fountains mingle with the river
And the rivers with the ocean,
The winds of Heaven mix for ever
With a sweet emotion;
Nothing in the world is single,

All things by a law divine
In one spirit meet and mingle -
Why not I with thine?

See the mountains kiss high Heaven
And the waves clasp one another;
No sister-flower would be forgiven
If it disdained its brother;
And the sunlight clasps the earth,
And the moonbeams kiss the sea -
What are all these kissings worth
If thou kiss not me?
Posted by AnSymeonakis, Monday, 24 August 2009 9:35:35 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. ...