The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Multiculturalism

Multiculturalism

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. 17
  13. 18
  14. 19
  15. 20
  16. All

« I'm looking forward to seeing multiculturalism at work in Paris. The opening ceremony sneered at, insulted, Christianity. Let's see these brave culture warriors do the same for Islam in the closing ceremony. »

The opening ceremony of the 2024 Paris Olympics drew significant backlash from Catholic bishops for what they thought was the representation of Leonardo da Vinci's painting "The Last Supper" with a "drag queen" performance, which they considered to be disrespectful to religious beliefs.

However, the opening ceremony choreographer Thomas Jolly denied parodying the Last Supper. He explained that the scene was intended to promote tolerance of different sexual and gender identities. It featured French actor Philippe Katerine who appeared almost naked and painted blue as Dionysus, the Greek god of wine and pleasure.

Dionysus was the bastard son of Zeus, the King of the Greek Gods, who was said to have taken up residence in Olympia around 1200 BC.

As several scholars of ancient Greek history have long pointed out, the authors of the New Testament appear to have based much of their narrative of the life and death of Jesus on the life and death of the mythical Greek God, Dionysus.

It is not surprising that the Catholic bishops and many other devotees of various Christian denominations projected their religious beliefs onto what they were persuaded was a familiar scene.

The historical reference to Dionysus, the god of wine and pleasure of Greek mythology, and the popular celebration of the Olympic Games, bringing people together worldwide, obviously missed its mark.

Too intellectual, I’m afraid. Just another example of people seeing what they believe – but which, in fact, they simply ignore.

Not everybody is conversant with Greek mythology.

That’s life, I guess.

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Thursday, 1 August 2024 3:42:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
AC

We agree on Christmas. But I am not aware of Palestinians doing any fighting with Anzacs. "Passive" is the only description of the people living in Palestine during WW1.

On the Arab scarf, I noticed during Netanyahu's address to Congress there was one lonely woman wearing one, as well as a sulky look, sitting all on her own - carefully avoided, even though the room was packed.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 1 August 2024 9:16:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Armchair Critic,

My accent comes from my ability to speak several languages
apart from English. Also I was influenced by the
Head of our High School's English Department who taught
English Lit. to our class and she insisted we end our words
correctly - (no short cuts). All of us girls had to "speak
properly."

Another comment that was often made about me was "Doesn't
she speak beautifully."

So I guess I shouldn't complain.

Talking about migrants?

I've managed to fit in no matter where I am.

I must be one of those exotic - "cosmopolitan" types.
(smile).
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 1 August 2024 9:58:30 AM

« …lots of non-Christians celebrate Christmas because it's fun and part of Australia. Not to mention the money that pours into local businesses.

Even now, 43.9% of Australians claim to be Christians, whereas only 3.2% claim to be Muslims, 2.7% Hindus, 2.4% Buddhists, 0.8% Sikhs and 0.7% Jews.

And, how many atheists deny their kids and themselves a fling at Christmas time ? »

Many of the Christmas traditions we celebrate today are descended from pagan traditions. This includes the practice of exchanging gifts, decorating houses and trees, singing carols, decorating with holly and mistletoe, and even the kind of food that is usually prepared. For instance, the Yule Log – a cake commonly eaten at Christmas – is more symbolic than anything now, meant to invoke the bonfires of ages past.

Exchanging gifts on the 25th December was part of an ancient festival that was celebrated long before Jesus was born. The exchange of gifts by pagans preceded Christmas and had nothing to do with Christmas or Christianity. It was just a shrewd means of diverting a very popular pagan festival in favour of the new religion.

The early Christians cannibalised the festival of the 25th December to celebrate the birth of Jesus who wasn’t even born on that date.

An important pagan holiday during the winter solstice was the birthday of the Greek god Dionysus, the god of wine and pleasure. He was believed to have been born on the 25th December. His birthday was celebrated with wild revelry, feasts, drunkenness, and merrymaking that lasted several days. The festival was called Bacchanalia.

What worked well for the early Christians in cannibalising the popular pagan winter festivals to celebrate Jesus’s birth, was also employed to celebrate the “resurrection” of Jesus in the spring.

Celebrating rebirth in the spring was an ancient tradition that can be traced back long before Christianity, to the very beginning of civilisation. Nature comes back to life in the spring. "Easter" took its name from the pagan springtime goddess Eostre.

Some cultures refer to it by variations of its Latin name "Pascha,"

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Thursday, 1 August 2024 10:15:18 AM
Hi Banjo Patterson,
"However, the opening ceremony choreographer Thomas Jolly denied parodying the Last Supper. He explained that the scene was intended to promote tolerance of different sexual and gender identities."

- Yeah I'm not sure about that.
It seemed to be fairly clear to me they were mocking the last supper.
In fact I'd almost go further and say that it seemed like they were saying 'LGBT is your new religion'.

I mean I don't care what goes on in peoples bedrooms or who one chooses to love and partner up with, but I'm not going to celebrate the LGBT world.

I don't know why these people go out of their way to cause conflict.
I get the feeling of whiny disgruntled gay people trying to spit in the face of the world.
'Take that you cis christian straighties!' [Rolls eyes]

What on earth does promoting tolerance of different sexual and gender identities have to do with sport anyway?
- That idea has caused enough controversy in sport already.
These clowns can't put on an event without cramming their woke religion down everyone's throats.
It's nauseating.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 1 August 2024 10:33:22 AM
Armchair Critic,

There are all sorts of athletes world-wide.
Why can't they all be allowed to be represented
if they excel in sport? Are the Games supposed
to be selective? We now have women, and para-olympians,
why not be inclusive? The only criteria should be
one's ability to compete?
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 1 August 2024 10:46:48 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. 17