The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > In defence of Muslims > Comments

In defence of Muslims : Comments

By Keysar Trad, published 28/11/2008

The Muslim community is, once again, in the dock, defending itself against a myriad of allegations.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13
  13. ...
  14. 19
  15. 20
  16. 21
  17. All
THE ISLAMIC COUNCIL ON … DIVORCE

IMAMS apply sharia law selectively against women, using it to perform polygamous marriages and grant divorces but saying they cannot use it to enforce compensation to Muslim women because Australia does not have a sharia court.

When wives seek a divorce, some imams say they must leave with only the clothes on their backs, leaving their assets and children.
One imam told a woman she should not seek maintenance, saying: "It is not necessary in Australia where women can get Centrelink benefits."

Women and community workers say it is extremely difficult for a woman to get a religious divorce.

Some women say imams have declined divorces if they are intimidated by the men or are friends with them.

Imams are supposed to charge $200 to consider a divorce, but some (not members of the board) allegedly exploit women by asking a large fee, then more fees to register the divorce in the country of origin.

THE ISLAMIC COUNCIL ON … POLYGAMY

SOME imams have performed religious marriages knowing that the man was already married.

Women whose husbands took other wives have blamed Centrelink benefits for easing the way to polygamy because one wife or the other will claim it.

Marriage celebrants are required to ask whether the parties are already married, but many imams are not doing so.
Asked about this, the Board of Imams said it was the woman's responsibility to ensure the man was not already married. However, some imams say the husband does not have to tell his wife he is marrying another woman.

How does Keyser's blustering appear, when you have the content of the original report? I repeat, a report written by muslim women about muslims in Australia.

Muslims are already living in Australia under sharia law, hamstrung by Australian law where it does not allow them to implement the full sharia code.

Yet, muslim men are able to exploit the benefits of the Australian social security to deprive their women of rights guaranteed under the Koran.

Australian law, when it rubs up against muslim practice, is swept aside.
Posted by katieO, Monday, 1 December 2008 10:17:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
katieo, i don't see anyone applauding keysar, most definitely not me. and thank-you for attempting to return the thread to keyser's slippery article and the report he wishes to dismiss. (i'll confess that i'm as responsible as anyone for derailing the thread). i have not read the report, but i don't have any reason to doubt that it reflects serious issues, that it's not a beat-up. if anyone wants to defend keysar's spin, i'm interested to hear it.

what is certainly not in doubt is keysar's dishonesty. when he writes that people want to "take away the private space that women have enjoyed in many mosques", one just have to laugh. it sounds exactly like the old days, when those black people "enjoyed" their space at the back of the bus
Posted by bushbasher, Monday, 1 December 2008 11:20:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Again, there is a great variety in the different forms of Islam, with a lot of cultural and other issues bound up.

If there is ugly male domination occuring of women in Australia, irrespective of race or colour, then we need to come down on it like a ton of bricks and if the authorities can't even do that, then it makes a mockery of any claims that they have of defending the population as a whole against potential carnage.
Posted by DreamOn, Tuesday, 2 December 2008 12:49:25 AM
Bushbasher..... I can be as much of a dog with a bone as Pedantic Pericles.....

I want to challenge one statement of yours:...being:

"for the last and final time: it doesn't matter what the religious texts SAY, it matters what the religious followers DO"

If I may point out..... that when they 'DO' something at variance to what their foundation documents clearly 'SAY'...then we can rightly criticize them.

You make the point that over history, various groups have interpreted the Bible this way or that.. and done bad things as a result.

The problem with your approach is that it does not leave any room for truth. You can often ony identify truth be comparing it with falsehood.

Regarding KatieO's post.. you can clearly see that some in the Muslim community are indulging in wife beating. They are told to endure it by Imams.
Now..this is an issue where there is no ambituity whatsoever, as there is a direct command/permission to do just that entirely applicable to today! Quan 4:34

When it comes to the Bible, it is neccessary to distinguish between things given to the Israelite community during their period and those things/commands/guidelines left with us by Jesus for all time. That's the difference between the Quran and the Bible, Islam and Christianity.

Until you recognize this, your view will continue to be biased by the statement you made which I opened with 'It matters what they do'.....
By your logic, if a Nazi walked from his duty at a death camp and helped an old lady across the road.. he would become a good bloke.

They key to understanding Keysars article is knowing what the Quran/Islam actually permits and what Keyser is spinning for public consumption. If you are unaware of what Islam/Quran permits...how can any of us legitimately criticize Keysars points? Or... be aware of his level of deception.
Posted by Polycarp, Tuesday, 2 December 2008 5:40:38 AM
Col,
While I admire your optimism,and I hope you are right, about muslim girls not being submissive to their parents wishes, I cannot agree.
I think the opposite will occur and our weak politicians will continue to compromise our culture to accomodate other ethnic cultures.

This is the second time in a few months that Keysar has raised the issue of polygamy and he will continue to do so, refining his argument each time. Polys will eventually recognise polygamy in certain circumstances and the door will be wedged open. Some states now have an input of 'aboriginal law' in some court cases, So why not sharia law for family matters to accomodate muslim culture. The door is opened!

The UK now recognises and makes social welfare provissions for polygamous marriages, where such is contracted in another country.
The UK also has a Forced Marriages Unit, which so far this year, has handled some 1200 allegations and new laws were recently introduced to assist in this. Their police handle some 12 deaths a year they believe are 'honour killings' and a further 113 deaths are now being re-investigated. There has been a rise in 'balcony suicides' of young Asian girls there. Sadly, I think the more the girls try to defy their parents the more honour killings and balcony suicides will occur.

Already our States turn a blind eye to the occurance of FGM and seemingly forced marriages are ignored.

Sadly, I also think it is only a matter of time before we see our first honour killing in Aus.

KatieO,
Thanks for giving that info about muslim divorce. The report you speak of is not yet publicly available but will be interesting.

Can you get any info on forced marriages in Aus. I am having difficulty in getting any stats, either real or estimates?
Posted by Banjo, Tuesday, 2 December 2008 10:29:26 AM
"when they 'DO' something at variance to what their foundation documents clearly 'SAY'...then we can rightly criticize them."

No Poly, BB has it right. Actions speak louder than words. Always. Regardless of what some man or woman wrote on paper some thousands of years ago.

Scriptures can be twisted to mean anything you want it to. With over 6 billion religious interpretations it has to happen. Why, I know of someone who claims to be a christian but who after reading certain sections of the bible comes up with the most unchristian comments...

What of those who do not follow any particular dogma? Are they writing their own book? Mine's called Watching Religion At War With Itself. And you?
Posted by bennie, Tuesday, 2 December 2008 11:57:43 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13