The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Afghanistan now.

Afghanistan now.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. All
continued

The New Testament also supports slavery in the following,

1 Timothy 6:1 All who are under the yoke of slavery should regard their masters as fully worthy of honor, so that God's name and our teaching will not be discredited.

Is the God of the Jewish Bible any better? In the Book of Joshua he commands genocide the Israelites to commit genocide, and Joshua carries out genocide.

Joshua 6:21 And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword.

Not only did the Israelites kill all the people, but they also killed all the domestic animals. Any God that would command that atrocious behaviour is unworthy of worship.

In the New Testament Jesus said, “By their fruit you will recognize them.” Matthew 7:16

The Inquisition, the Wars of the Reformation where Protestants and Catholics killed each other, stealing the land of indigenous people are some of the fruits. Importing slaves and fighting to keep people in slavery in the US Civil War are other fruits. The Protestant South formed the KKK after the Civil War. They specialized in lynching blacks but also hated Jews and Catholics.

I don’t know whether Protestants or Catholics were more inhumane. However, I don’t think either sect has a right to lord it over the other.

The words of Jesus:

Matthew 7:3-5 3 "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.
Posted by david f, Monday, 30 August 2021 7:48:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Foxy,

There were worthy, courageous, heroic and self-sacrificing people of all faiths and ethnic groups, but no group has any right to denigrate those who belong to another group. No group can claim that all belonging to his or her group are righteous or that all belonging to another group are villainous. However, there is a tendency to rewrite history and ignore the plank in your own eye.
Posted by david f, Monday, 30 August 2021 8:01:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear David f.,

I totally agree. That's why I pointed out
that no faith, no nationality, no race, was
free of cowards or collaborators. That no
group was spared from killers and traitors in
their midst. Just as there were numerous
courageous men and women who refused to
participate in the subjugation and destruction of
the targeted groups and individuals.

As the old adage tells us:

If your religion requires you to hate someone.
You need a new religion.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 30 August 2021 8:11:55 PM
My brothers family who live in israel are Orthodox Jews. So you have no idea of Christian relationships to Jews. You try to paint every Christian in the image of Roman Catholic opression.
Posted by Josephus, Tuesday, 31 August 2021 9:49:20 AM
Josephus,
Obviously you don’t like Roman Catholics, how do you feel about Eastern Catholics?

David f,

My distant relative Mons. Hugh O’ Flaherty, TheScarlet Pimpernel of the Vatican, got around 6,000 Jews and Allied escapees etc., out of the reach of the Nazis during WWII, he did all this with the tacit consent of the Pope and considerable help from the Swiss Guard.
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 31 August 2021 10:18:58 AM
Is Mise, I do not hate Roman Catholics, but many of them have a history of violence. The first school I attended was Catholic run by nuns and the Priest came each month for confession so i got my share of beatings from the nuns before going to a public school.
Posted by Josephus, Tuesday, 31 August 2021 11:03:21 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11