The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Afghanistan now.

Afghanistan now.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All
Slavery as we know it now was in some civilisations not the human
rights concern as it is now.
As civilisation developed slavery was no longer needed to advance
economically and it morphed into Feudalism where peasants lived and
farmed on the land of the Lord of the Manor.
The Romans brought slavery to Britain and after their departure there
were changes that continued under the Normans.
This gradually changed and the Plague caused such a depletion of the
peasantry that the relationship between those occupying the land and
the landowner changed forever and was changed legally.
Slavery ended because it was contrary to the beliefs of the times and
was expensive to hold slaves.
Then Feudalism ended with the establishment of factories at the onset of the industrial revolution.
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 31 August 2021 12:06:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
cont:
So what we see is an economic model progression from slavery to the
present workplace laws over many centuries.
It would probably have been impossible to have bypassed the individual
steps along the way.
However some civilisations want to have stopped at slavery as in parts
of the Islamic world, especially in Africa, slavery is still practised.
This is I believe because the Koran describes the proper way to treat
your slaves and so gives approval to the practise.
Sex slaves are especially approved and regulated in the Koran, and
specifies how they may be taken by force.
Just as one of the Bil Al sex slave gang might be released from the
Goulburn Super Max after 20 odd years.
A clash of civilisations ?
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 31 August 2021 1:01:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Watching the Taliban on the telly, I see they all shop for their gear in the same place 'Millers' ladies fashions, it all comes off the $10 rack! On the other hand they could do a decent ad for 'OMO', whites, whiter than white, but I don't think they'll get a gig with the 'Gillette' company any time soon. Anyway they're got business, like renaming that Hamid Karzai Airport to the Mad Mullah Airport. I can just hear the pilot now; "We are approaching Mad Mullah Airport, expecting flak on the port side, prepare to bailout!"
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 1 September 2021 9:51:08 AM
Dear Josephus,

You spoke of the Catholic history of violence. It is doubtful that Protestants are less violent. Let me remind you of some of the instances of Protestant violence. The Wars of the Reformation were fought between Protestants and Catholics. I don’t think one side was more violent than the other. Burning people at the stake and burning witches went on in Protestant Massachusetts, Protestant Geneva and other Protestant areas. The Protestant British Empire was the product of many acts of violence. The Protestant southern United States carried on a war for slavery. After the war they established the KKK which hated blacks, Catholics and Jews and carried out lynchings. The predominantly Protestant Nazi Germany was noted for its violence and genocide.

The words of Jesus are appropriate:

Matthew 7:3-5 3 "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.
Posted by david f, Wednesday, 1 September 2021 10:17:52 AM
david, you are blind to what is the present day.

My concern is for Afganistan and its people today, during my history.
It is my time in history now.
Do you pray for these people that they might be enlightened of more humane values as taught by Jesus? They hold him as a holy prophet.
If not I have no interest in your atheistic power squabble.
Posted by Josephus, Wednesday, 1 September 2021 5:22:30 PM
Dear Josephus,

Of course, I don't pray. There is nothing to pray to.

Jesus said: "Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me” (Matthew 10:37).

I don't think any religious leader who would want someone to put him above one's family is worthy. Jesus is unworthy of me.

However, people of any belief or absence of belief should be treated with consideration. I wish you well and hope you will be considerate of all including your family.
Posted by david f, Wednesday, 1 September 2021 5:54:59 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All