The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Your throughts

Your throughts

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 20
  7. 21
  8. 22
  9. Page 23
  10. 24
  11. 25
  12. 26
  13. ...
  14. 30
  15. 31
  16. 32
  17. All
Hi there FOXY...

Again, I thank you for your interesting thread expressing yet another view, on this almost impenetrable social and humanitarian issue that recurringly provokes us, and our political leadership.

In the earlier part of the twentieth century, there was this very erudite Law Lord in Britain, who once remarked, '...it is better a hundred guilty persons go free, than a single innocent person is sent to prison...' or similar words ? It could well be argued that amongst the many boat arrivals, there may be a number of truly legitimate refugees fleeing for their very lives ?

I would respectfully submit, anyone who denied such a possibility, would have to be ignorant, and totally devoid of any common sense whatsoever ? Nevertheless, my question remains why do most of the boat arrivals do everything possible to obfuscate, both their true identity and from where precisely have they originated ?

Many who embark upon their (often dangerous) boat journey from Indonesian shores, must've had sufficient documentation in order to land in that country initially ? Is so, why was it so necessary to discard this documentation ? I note you do say, many arrive with appropriate means of ID and origin. FOXY, I'm not in any position to either prove or disprove material, you have either quoted, or the many links that you've kindly supplied. It is with the greatest respect when I say, the reliability of some of these links are both unverifiable and implausible unfortunately.

Therefore, I think it's a case of, we agree to disagree FOXY ? That said, you always provide a very persuasive and eloquent argument, notwithstanding !
Posted by o sung wu, Tuesday, 14 January 2014 2:27:24 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You see PAUL1405, when you depart from a contemporary argument, and seek to malign and vilify a large part of a vocational community, with some asinine attempt to engage in peculiarly mordant discourse, then it's time for me to ignore you.

I recall years ago now, when I first donned blue, an old sergeant said to me '...lad, never argue with a mug...'!
Posted by o sung wu, Tuesday, 14 January 2014 2:53:34 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Australia's fight against the criminal gangs engaged in people smuggling is no different from the war being waged internationally against such gangs.

There is no escaping the simple reality that these are very organised, dangerous gangs of criminals who have no humanitarian interest, and would not (obviously do not!) care about the welfare of their human cargoes.

Fact is, if the gangs were not involved in people smuggling because it is easy and highly profitable, they would be trafficking drugs internationally, or sex slaves, or children, or drugs or whatever they find $$ in moving across borders. Doubtless the criminal gangs diversify into other crime. It is about money.

Equally obvious is the willingness of professionals in Australia to engage in the highly profitable business of giving clever advice and strategies including intelligence, to the criminals to assist them in their noxious activities. Direct or indirect, such assistance and public justifications and rationalisations of the dreadful trade gives oxygen to these very dangerous criminals.
Posted by onthebeach, Tuesday, 14 January 2014 3:19:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
G'day ONTHEBEACH...

Your last thread was absolutely 'spot on'! Without in anyway causing you any offence. If an ordinary gentleman like your good-self can see the obvious, why then can't our politicians with their myriad of advisors and strategists see it. And then do something 'constructive' about it ? Instead of ineffectually sitting in their palatial offices in Parliament House, wringing their little white hands with incertitude and dubiety written all over their pathetic faces ?
Posted by o sung wu, Tuesday, 14 January 2014 3:57:47 PM
'Fact is, if the gangs were not involved in people smuggling because it is easy and highly profitable, they would be trafficking drugs internationally, or sex slaves, or children, or drugs or whatever they find $$ in moving across borders. Doubtless the criminal gangs diversify into other crime. It is about money. '

so true OTB which just highlights how treachorius Rudd/Gillard/Greens were in encouraging this trade. They opened the pandoras box and still have not got the decency to keep their mouths shut.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 14 January 2014 4:05:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear O Sung Wu,

It's always a pleasure to discuss any issue with you.
And yes, we shall have to agree to disagree on this
one. However, I look forward to our next robust
discussion. Thank You for your kind words, and right
back at you - you certainly possess the skill of
reasoned, intelligent argument. And that's a skill
that's not easily acquired. But you've got it in spades.

All The Best.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 14 January 2014 4:39:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 20
  7. 21
  8. 22
  9. Page 23
  10. 24
  11. 25
  12. 26