The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Your throughts

Your throughts

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. Page 16
  10. 17
  11. 18
  12. 19
  13. ...
  14. 30
  15. 31
  16. 32
  17. All
Hi there PAUL1405...

I see once more you've kindly provided us with your erudite expertise of the administrative machinations of the Police Service. My main difficulty is, if as you say inter alia, they (police) '...should be kept in a cage, and under control'... however then '...can police perform a necessary, well paid job for society...' while under control in this mythical cage ?
Posted by o sung wu, Sunday, 12 January 2014 9:46:54 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One of my recurring thoughts is that I wonder that, with "spell-check" being free, why more posters don't avail themselves of its undoubted benefits?
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 12 January 2014 9:50:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
O sung Wu, while I would agree that there is no doubt that some asylum seekers have been found to be fraudulent in trying to seek asylum in Australia, I would suggest that putting yourself and your family in obviously substandard boats to cross the ocean to reach Australia, one would have to be pretty desperate?

Unless they were living under a rock, all the asylum seekers would already know about the hundreds(?thousands) who have already died by drowning off these boats on their way to Australia.

Those that do bring their wives, parents, kids with them on these boats must truly be desperate wouldn't you think?
I certainly wouldn't blame anyone for preferring to live in Australia compared to many of the countries they travel through to get here.

There must be a better way than dragging them back to Indonesia, who obviously don't want them? What happens to them then? Being concerned about the underdogs is what makes Australians who they are.

I don't know what the answer is though.
The UN aren't happy with Australia's current methods, and I respect the UN.
Posted by Suseonline, Monday, 13 January 2014 2:09:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<<putting yourself and your family in obviously substandard boats to cross the ocean to reach Australia, one would have to be pretty desperate>>

A better description is *SNEAKY*.

If you knew that by sailing to Oz you would increase your acceptance chances to 97%, and thereafter you could live on welfare for the rest of you life --why wouldn't you give it try? Much more productive, than sailing just across the straits to Tamil Nadu.

PS half the Asian fishing fleet would be substandard by Oz measures.
Posted by SPQR, Monday, 13 January 2014 5:38:26 AM
o sung wu, I was speaking metaphorically when I said "in their cage and under control" that was a reference to giving police unfettered powers to hold people, and powers of arrest. Although some police should literally be in a cage, a jail cell that is, for the crimes they have committed.
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 13 January 2014 6:31:09 AM
o sung wu,
Undoubtedly Paul1405 has suffered some personal wounding at the hands of what he sees as 'bad police' however he needs to be reminded that however police act they do so within the framework of the laws set down by the parliament and directly flowing from the democratic process of a free vote by the people.
Recently the people voted to have a more stringent and diligent approach to all levels of criminal behavior and that is what is happening,
If Paul1405 does not like what the majority vote likes he has two distinct choices.
First he can leave the country and try to find somewhere the social processes are more to his liking or
Secondly he can work within the framework of this society by effecting change to his standard through the ballot box.
Posted by chrisgaff1000, Monday, 13 January 2014 10:23:46 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. Page 16
  10. 17
  11. 18
  12. 19