The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > RSPCA should stick to its knitting

RSPCA should stick to its knitting

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. 16
  13. ...
  14. 23
  15. 24
  16. 25
  17. All
Gawd Ammonite, you are of course well behind the times with your
Govt reports etc.

http://www.abc.net.au/rural/news/content/201007/s2962120.htm

As I pointed out before, plans by AAco are well advanced already,
for a plant in Darwin, which would fit in with their structure.
Everyone is waiting to see if the place will go broke or actually
make a quid.

But even then, its for 140'000 cattle. The question is, why
are you so obsessed that only Australians know best. At the
end of the day, Indonesia's people need to be able to afford the
meat and every cost added here has to be paid for by the those
people. They don't earn the wages that Australians do.

Cruel people and kind people exist everywhere. A couple of years
ago I had a dispute here with a truck driver, right on my place.
He started bashing some lambs on the nose with an iron bar, because
they would not run up a race as he wished. I pulled him up and a
major standoff developed. He claimed that it didn't matter, as people
don't eat the heads, I claimed it was cruel and was not going to
see it on my place. In the end I had to ring his boss and suggest he
learn how to handle stock and take an anger management class.

There is no good reason, if given the correct equipment, that others
cannot learn how to handle livestock humanely. My point again,
we got that wrong so far, so let's start there. That is our fault,
not the Indonesians fault. Farmers like me pay nearly 100m$ a year
in levies for exactly those sorts of things.
Posted by Yabby, Sunday, 12 June 2011 9:57:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
MickC,
Thanks for that and I did read it with much interest No i am not a vegan.
Belly, your a man among men. Now I know you are male. I have included a comment about your comments on my little thread. I have to use my own because I am way out in the never never in Tasi. Cant always get internet here so i have to reply when i can get up and having no limit on the posts enables me to do that.
Yabby,
You sound to me like somebody who has invested a lot in live exports.
Are you into shipping of some type perhaps.
I saw something on the site I think one of the others put up called Adventures of Yabby life through the eyes of a farm animal. I am guessing it was written in your honor. I know this is serious but laughed so much my sides hurt.

You can see it here looks funny. I might ask if I can look after that thread too. This is all new to me but if i can help the farmers i am all for that!

http://www.opiniononlineforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=494

Kerryanne Wirth Parattah Tasi
Posted by Kerryanne, Sunday, 12 June 2011 11:17:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry, Yabby and other readers.
I put the wrong link up- there seems to be two. Here it is.
http://www.opiniononlineforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=495
Kerryanne
Posted by Kerryanne, Sunday, 12 June 2011 11:25:58 AM
Ammonite

You seem to have a lot of knowledge there. Would you mind if I added it to my work because I think as many as possible should read it.
I have to stay now where I am and anyway with this limit on posts here mine would all be used up already. Mine has no limits at all.

Of course if you don't want your information to be read anywhere else I will respect that but its good reading.
Kerryanne Wirth
The old Parattah hotel Tasi
Posted by Kerryanne, Sunday, 12 June 2011 11:33:53 AM
Kerryanne

The more people who find out that feasibility studies were done well before the current scandal - the better.

You could also add methods of slaughtering foodstock:

http://www.grandin.com/survey/2000McDonalds.rpt.html

Which discusses details such as the following:

"Determining insensibility in electrically stunned pigs is more difficult than determining insensibility in cattle stunned with captive bolt. In cattle, any eye movement after stunning is a sign of a poor stun. In electrically stunned pigs some animals will have nystagmus (eye vibrating). This is permissible as long as all other signs of return to sensibility are absent. Nystagmus must not be confused with a natural blink where the eye closes and then reopens. Another problem is that poking the eyes of electrically stunned pigs with one’s finger may cause movements such as an eye that is stuck shut popping open. This is not a corneal reflex and it may fool an auditor into thinking that he/she found a pig that is starting to return to sensibility. To avoid these problems, it is best to observe without touching the eyes. If a pig does a natural blink like a live pig in the yards, the plant should be failed.

Conclusions – Stunning of beef cattle has continued to improve and handling of both cattle and pigs continue to get better and better. Many plants have greatly reduced electric prod use. The main problem areas that need to be fixed in a few plants are overloaded equipment and pig stunning procedures."

Regards
Posted by Ammonite, Sunday, 12 June 2011 11:44:56 AM
Wow KerryAnne you have put a lot of work into that other forum.

Yabby is only protecting his patch which is a natural business knee-jerk response and to be expected. The trick is to get meat producers on board and encouraging business and governments to foster systems that see the benefits of our own industries trickle down by keeping as much onshore processing here as possible.

It is difficult to look at any of these issues in isolation without re-thinking the way our economy is shaped and the increasing loss of rights for countries to make decisions based on their own cultural beliefs, domestic policies and in the interest of their people.
Posted by pelican, Sunday, 12 June 2011 12:02:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. 16