The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Silencing the majority

Silencing the majority

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
extracted from
http://poorrichards-blog.blogspot.com/2011/03/class-warfare-final-chapter.html

There is overwhelming evidence that we are entering the final chapter of class warfare in the US. Today, in the "public arena," it is forbidden to say class warfare, and many citizens do not regard themselves as working class.

The assault on language comes compliments of the propaganda apparatus, which includes: public relations, marketing, corporate media and the entertainment industry, universities, think tanks and so on.

Its purpose is to distract our attention from serious matters so we can focus on trivial matters - usually involving consuming.

Edward Bernays, the founder of the modern propaganda industry, described the process:

Those who manipulate the unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government. We are governed, our minds molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested largely by men we have never heard of ...

in almost every act of our lives whether in the sphere of politics or business, in our social conduct or our ethical thinking we are dominated by the relatively small number of persons who understand the mental processes and social patterns of the masses.

It is they who pull the wires that control the public mind.[1]
http://www.blogger.com/post-create.g?blogID=2146736968904133647

also note shock doctrain
http://www.alternet.org/story/150187/naomi_klein%3A_%22shock_doctrine%22_unleashed_by_right-wingers_in_wisconsin_and_throughout_the_country?page=entire

Never have so many been held incommunicado by so few. More and more have the right to hear and see, but fewer and fewer have the privilege of informing, giving their opinion and creating.

The dictatorship of the single word and the single image, much more devastating than that of the single party, is imposing a life whose exemplary citizen is a docile consumer and passive spectator.

Never before have so few ..fooled so many.[3]
http://www.blogger.com/post-create.g?blogID=2146736968904133647

read more:
http://www.truth-out.org/class-warfare-final-chapter68146

http://sociology.ucsc.edu/whorulesamerica/power/wealth.html
http://www.commondreams.org/view/2010/02/26-0
Posted by one under god, Friday, 18 March 2011 2:36:37 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes good points spin doc in the case of the Japanese radiation trouble the news is all over the place.
Not totally trusting the power company or government I have researched the subject.
It is bad, but melt down, promised in near every report is very unlikely.
News is slanted and uninformed.
Dreadful but hardly as bad as some reporters are claiming, do they read from scripts or just say what comes into their minds?
Who writes the script, what expertise do they have or look for?
Every media system wants to be first, to sell more make money from every issue.
Truth often runs last for that reason.
Wondering, help please, is the instant steam from water drops likely to be radio active?
Posted by Belly, Friday, 18 March 2011 4:07:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
its all scripted
[ie every talking point and word used in the media]

re the water being radioactive..this is a big no

when the water evaporates its just water vapor
but in decaying the rods..radionuclides are released
these may sit in the water..or be in the air..
carried along with [but not part of]..the water

If something radioactive is dissolved in the
water, then the vapor itself will NOT be radioactive
- unless the
radioactive substance is also evaporated

Water doesn't get radioactive when it is evaporated. Water in the
liquid state absorbs enough energy to go into the vapor state. This
is called the heat of vaporization.

This process occurs when you boil water.
Water also has a vapor pressure.

This essentially
relates how much water vapor is present
above liquid water at a
particular temperature.

Radioactivity has to do with changing
the nucleus of atoms (like adding or subtracting neutrons), not
changing physical states of compounds (like going from liquid to gas).

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ie50499a024
Posted by one under god, Friday, 18 March 2011 5:28:18 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly, I’m no expert so I’ll be sticking my neck and will probably get is chopped. I will put the questions to my UK friend, 40 year nuclear “garbo”. He disposes of waste from reactors and weapons grade stuff.

You can also ask the questions on the Barry Brook web site, he’s an environmentalist but has a good practical grip on nuclear power generation.

As I understand it, an overheating reactor must be vented if there is a pressure build up due to lack of coolant. If this happens there will be radiation release in the vapor, mostly short lived stuff that lasts about 8 hrs to three days. Meltdown in normally associated with reactors in production, these in Japan were auto shutdown when the quake was detected. Due lack of coolant even the deactivated reactors generated heat and lots of it, so a partial meltdown might have occurred. This means damage to cladding and leakage of nasty stuff into the secondary containment. Venting after this can release the nasty stuff but so far I can’t find out if this occurred. We just don’t know.

The instant steam you talk about is mostly due to trying to get coolant into a reactor that has already had a meltdown. The “corium” (melted stuff in the bottom of the container) can cause steam pressure build up that “could” rupture the containment. Don’t think this has ever happened in power generation but might have in military use. Who knows?

I’m guessing like everyone else but based on the activities at the site, it looks like they had a partial, but no nasty stuff.

We can take heart from the “fact” that a 40 year old reactor withstood a once in 100 year earthquake, an equivalent tsunami, loss of the entire power grid, total loss of coolant and loss of up to four levels of back up power generation. Will it survive? Probably. Will nuclear power generations’ reputation? My guess within six months, but that’s an engineer talking.
Posted by spindoc, Friday, 18 March 2011 5:42:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes agree with all that spin doc in fact I wounder just how many near misses have taken place.
I see Japan has bought Germany to close 5 out of its 17 plants.
But unless true renewable are around the corner we will still[hopefully] get our Nuclear plants here.
I doubt wind is the answer ,yet with new finds it may well be.
I would be just great, seemingly impossible but great, if media started a balanced and informative debate on such issues.
I may dream but am not expecting it to take place.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 19 March 2011 5:49:31 AM
im fine with nuke power generation
[too many workers have died from blacklung disease]
even if govt hides the numbers under smoking statistics
[ie only 20 percent of the cancer stats..is credited to smoking]

when we have a meltdown..and the radioactive numcleotides drift off with the vaper the result is cancer..of the blood amoung other things
recall when the govt was blowing up the deserts[add that to the deaths ATTRIBUTABLE to smoking]

they have managed to silence the majority of smokers
with spin lies and deceite...created guilt..[ie pasive smoking guilt]..when the disease came in reality from wood smoke..radiation fallout ...asbestus..and diesal particulate..

but the minority has ben silenced
and still people die

anyhow the new generation
should be the other type of nuke generationms i mentioned previously
[that dont make nukes or meltdown]

but im over this topic
will do a belly and call the topic done

[sorry bells couldnt resist that]
it will be over and done when its all been said
and thats a long ways away[two containment vessels have cracked]

how pathetic was the water bombing
[why didnt they lay the electric line before the meltdown]
there are still too many questions..[maybe even a grenie behind all of it]

ie here is a thought
nuke generation was planing to build
a max of 5 new [compare this to the income ge gets fropm selling us the new light bulbs..or solar panels on every roof..or millions of wind generators

ps the german reacters are only being checked

will be back on line
in 3 months to 6 weeks
Posted by one under god, Saturday, 19 March 2011 7:52:35 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy