The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > When is an Australian not an Australian?

When is an Australian not an Australian?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. 16
  13. All
One of the most evil inventions is "nationalism". You can love a country without being a nationalist. Nationalism causes conflict, it pits one against another, it's a breeding ground for misunderstanding and fear of difference.

You can equally love one, two, three, four or more countries. And that's a GOOD THING. Because you love one country, doesn't mean you love another country less. Because you live in a certain way in your country, does not give you the right to insist that others live the exact same way. In free societies such as ours we are ALL subject to the "LAW". The law (in these modern times) is not written for only "ONE" section of society. ALL sections of society have an input, and that is as it should be. And if someone doesn't like the democratic processes that enable this, TOO BAD!

Australia is changing.

Australia has ALWAYS been in a state of change.

Australia, even in the dark days of the White Australia Policy, has NEVER been a mono culture.

If that woman in the bus saw herself as Maltese on that occasion, then good on her. That doesn't mean she doesn't see herself as Australian, or that she loves Australia any less than Malta. Some people have multiple countries they love. So what!

Eventually, probably hundreds of years away, we will all grow up and dispose of international borders. World travel, migration and where we live and work will be subject to only the necessary health parameters. We will be able to freely travel to and live in the location of our choice, anywhere in the world. Just like we're now able to freely travel to and work in any state in Australia. But like I said, we need to grow up first, and understand we all live on this planet together. But the paranoiac nationalists will not like to hear that - - - they love their borders, restrictions, mono cultures; it's "Fortress Australia", "Fortress North Korea", "Fortress USA" etc etc etc for them. As I said, "when we all grow up".
Posted by Master, Sunday, 26 July 2009 8:50:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If the lady was born in Parramatta, how can she be "Maltese?" My father was an immigrant and I was born in Australia therefore, why would I refer to his ancestry when advising my nationality?

I think the lady was offended by the busdriver and became flustered, however, tactless comments like hers will cause more division now that the media's got hold of it.
Posted by Protagoras, Sunday, 26 July 2009 9:09:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If she has dual citizenship she can be Maltese AND Australian.

And there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with that!
Posted by Master, Sunday, 26 July 2009 9:25:57 PM
Dear Antonios,

Thank You for explaining your point of view.
I'm beginning to understand where you're coming
from.

But you my friend need not worry. The only way that
a person can lose their Australian Citizenship
is if they're convicted for certain offences -
(mainly fraud) in the person's citizenship or
migration application, or if they were in prison
for 12 months or more, in any country for an
offence committed prior to their Citizenship
being approved.

Master, in his usual wisdom, has raised some very valid
points in his post.
The effects of nationalism can be both good and bad.
Nationalism gives people a sense of belonging and
pride, and a willingness to make sacrifices for their
country. But, of course,
it can also produce rivalry and tension
between nations. Desires for national glory and
military conquests that may lead to war.

Extreme nationalism may result in racial hatred and in the
persecution of minorities.

History has shown -
during the 1930s, two dictators - Adolf Hitler and
Benito Mussolini used nationalism in demanding extreme
loyalty from their people. They promoted 'integral
nationalism,' or the belief that a certain nationality
was superior to all others. This idea also placed strict
limits on who could claim that nationality. In support
of integral nationalism, the Nazis killed millions of Jews
and other people whom they considered inferior human
beings.

All we can do is remember that the measure of our society
over history is our fidelity to our principles. Of law
and justice. That's the price of liberty.
We must remind our government and our people to remain
faithful to those principles or otherwise, our society,
like so many in the past, will be swept up on the ash
heap of history.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 26 July 2009 9:29:28 PM
Protagoras
"If the lady was born in Parramatta, how can she be "Maltese?" "
You are a smart woman. Do you remember the Israelis who found the black jews in ethiopian after 3000 years? I think they now found other jews in India! If they found their brothers after thousands of years do you think the other countries will not find their people who left their country before 500-600 years? Of cause they will find them! According to many European countries citizeship law, if a person prove that one from his parents come from Greece for example, he can claim and become Greek citizen, with UK is litle different of cause the colonies etc. For example the people from Hong Kong had British pasport but they did not have the right to go to UK!
If the Muslim lady was maried with a Maltise or her grand, grand fathers was from Malta she took the Maltese pasport for toubles free visit to European Union. My nefew born in Adelaide but he has Greek- European Passport too, My children have European Pasport too, cost 50-60 dollars and open the doors for many countries! I am sure you can have a European Pasport too. As you know the European Union is Number one Economic super power worldwide ,( I think 40 billion dollars more than USA.) Go to take your European pasport before change the European law! If ever we have problems here we can find an other door open or we will call the EUROPE, (our country-my country) for protection!
Protagoras as you know for many countries migrants have the right to vote/voted in two countries! For example we have in Victoria an Italian Background SENATOR IN ITALIAN SENATE, We Greeks try to do the same thing) I will try to become MP for GREECE and Australia! NO PROBLEMO IF PEOPLE VOTE ME!
Antonios Symeonakis
Adelaide
Posted by ASymeonakis, Sunday, 26 July 2009 9:48:43 PM
Foxy
"I'm beginning to understand where you're coming
from."
I do not know Foxy, I do not know where I come from. I feel lost, I feel a stanger, I feel without roots and without base.
Realy Foxy tell me what does the "coffe" show?
Sure I am a strange person but I am not sure who I am, what I am doing and why? Not clear goals, not clear tactics to reach my goals!
Banjo said in an other thread for me "You are a stupid self opinionated fool." may be it help me to find my self!
Foxy while I can tell and I say many others friend I have difficulties to call you friend, I do not know but you seem different, always I put you arount the human rights comission and I think may be you are ungry if I call you friend!
Antonios Symeonakis
Adelaide
Posted by ASymeonakis, Sunday, 26 July 2009 10:29:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. 16