The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > There Is An Epidemic Of Gun Crime In Australia

There Is An Epidemic Of Gun Crime In Australia

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. Page 17
  10. 18
  11. 19
  12. 20
  13. 21
  14. All
Hi SM Happy New Year,

The nothing to see here argument is the weakest of the weak, "I (SM) looked up the no of gun deaths in Aus and the deaths were so low that Aus was not even put on the chart." Over 200 people annually die from gun shot wounds in Australia. Everything from cold bloody murder to misadventure are the causes. The argument Australia is not El Salvador, Issy would like to use South Africa, is simply deflection, and has no relevance to Australia's situation 200 is 200 too many, my acceptable limit is zero. There is no comfort for the grieving friends and relatives of a victim to be told; "Lucky we're not El Salvador, lots shot there, or their death was in acceptable limits, nothing out of the ordinary, besides more people die from motor car accidents in Australia than gun shots, think yourself lucky."

My concern is those who seek to politically "white ant" John Howard's and the States robust gun laws, wanting to make gun freely available in the community, aka "American style gun laws". Those that will engage in illegal activity for financial gain to facilitate guns into the hands of criminals, "cleanskins" in the licensed gun community, there are 45,000 unaccounted for "legal" guns in Australia. Finally, I am concerned about guns nuts, like those that gunned down three innocent Australians recently, Constable Rachel McCrow, and Constable Matthew Arnold, along with local man Alan Dare. What failure of the system see these people licensed and enabled to carry out these horrendous acts.

No! I'm not engaging in BS about this, it is a growing concern in society, and it would not take much to see Australia in a situation similar to the dark old days of pre 1996 when over 500 people were shot dead annually, and Martin Bryant was able to gun down 35 people at Port Arthur, through lax gun laws and society's ineptitude.
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 1 January 2023 6:38:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul,

The number of gunshot deaths dropped by about 70% from 1990 to 2005 and has hovered around 200 p.a. (or 0.76 per 100 000) which is one of the very lowest in the world.

https://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/compareyears/10/total_number_of_gun_deaths

There is no spike in gun violence, and certainly no epidemic, just your usual rant against guns.
Posted by shadowminister, Sunday, 1 January 2023 8:21:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SM,

Did you read my opening post, I often make my discussion title, like a headline on Murdoch "Daily Telecrap', a bit of an attention grabber.

The "epidemic" as I put it; "I'm not talking about criminals shooting criminals, or innocent people being shot, or even armed holdups, although those events are common enough occurrences in Australia. No, what I am talking about is the epidemic of guns being "stolen" from supposedly law abiding licensed gun owners at an alarming rate,"

45,000 "legal" but unaccounted for guns in the community, average of 60 guns a week being "stolen" from the so called law abiding gun owners, who are commonly refereed to as "cleanskins" most of these "stolen" firearms end up in the hands of criminals.

I take it , 200+ deaths a year, should be of no concern? If one of your own was to die at the hands of a criminal, say in a holdup, a gun supplied to that criminal by a "cleanskin", would you dismiss it with a shrug of the shoulders, and comfort yourself with the thought, Australia has a rather low instance of "death by gun", I am thankful we are not El Salvador.

Just as you were INSULTING and WRONG when I stared the thread "Could A Reich Citizens Movement Exist In Australia".

Village idiot, (referring to me)

Looking for conspiracy theories under the bed? just like the racist twit you are.
Posted by shadowminister, Sunday, 11 December 2022 1:51:12 PM

UNFORTUNATELY, less than 24 hours later three innocent people were dead in Queensland at the hands of far right extremists licensed GUN NUTS! Anything to say on that?
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 1 January 2023 9:02:01 AM
Still having pointless arguments about the crazy suggestion that Australia has 'a gun crime problem' when it does not! It's time for a New Year change.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 1 January 2023 10:14:44 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/dec/31/australian-doctors-call-for-more-covid-data-as-uk-and-france-join-list-of-counties-testing-china-travellers
"The Australian government is standing firm on its policy to not require incoming travellers from China to test negative for Covid, despite the UK and France joining the list of countries imposing such restrictions.

The Australian Medical Association president, Steve Robson, backed the position on Saturday, saying there was not enough data yet to show that testing every passenger would be beneficial."

Just like last time, by the time they get this 'data'
It will be long too late to do anything about it.
Considering Australia voted in favor of new WHO rules, which we're stopped by members of the African Union, they may want a catastrophe to give justification for pushing through the new WHO rules a second time around.

I already told you all the situation is out of control.
These idiots are playing Russian roulette with Aussies lives and futures.
If it all goes to crap (as I think it will) I hope the people who allowed it to happen are held accountable.
Get ready for toilet paper shortages, fights in supermarkets and lockdowns all over again.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Sunday, 1 January 2023 12:33:03 PM
Dear Paul,

The recent spat of violence, of gun crimes, stabbings,
et cetera, amongst younger people is concerning.
Are they on drugs, or part of crime gangs? not sure. But it
is a concern. I would hate for Australia to get into the
"Wild West" mentality that the US seems to have. We've always
been more subdued. At least that's what I believed.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 1 January 2023 3:05:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. Page 17
  10. 18
  11. 19
  12. 20