The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > There Is An Epidemic Of Gun Crime In Australia

There Is An Epidemic Of Gun Crime In Australia

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. Page 18
  10. 19
  11. 20
  12. 21
  13. All
cont'd

I want to add that I think everybody coming into
Australia should be tested at the air-port. No
ifs and buts.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 1 January 2023 3:07:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul,

For effect, you love using hyperbole to hype up your rants.

The % of legal guns stolen in Aus is about 0.1% p.a. and has not changed significantly for a decade. So your claim that legally owned guns have a habit of being stolen is bollocks
The case of a person having a repeat theft is about 2% So your "clean skin theory is dubious.
The cases where stolen legal guns are used in crimes are about 3% of guns stolen.
Roughly 3x as many homicides are due to knife stabbings as from using guns. So should knife ownership be banned?

All of the above would make your claim of an epidemic of gun crime in Aus your usual wild hyperbole.

There is nothing to show that the guns used in Queensland were stolen.

Finally, 3 radicalised gun nuts don't make a "Reich Citizens Movement" So you are still WRONG.

Also:

"Australia might be awash with illegal firearms, but the evidence is clear: the vast majority are not stolen from licensed firearm owners. The SSAA Legislative Action (SSAA-LA) department has analysed data from Australia’s police forces and statistics agencies, with the figures proving that the real rate of gun thefts is minuscule"

The figure you give for missing guns is over more than a decade, the theft of guns is a small contributor to the number of illegally owned guns in Aus most coming from other sources. This means that if legal gun ownership was banned, it would have relatively little effect on access to illegal guns.

For context, I have never owned a handgun and am in favour of strict gun control. Which is clearly working. Your hyperbole is not warranted.
Posted by shadowminister, Sunday, 1 January 2023 4:57:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am not surprised that ttbn would be opposed to gun control, as he has indicated elsewhere on the Forum that he favours a "FIGHT" by citizens against the democratically elected governments of this country. Saying this to a like minded;

"Indyvidual"

"True. I'm not sure that modern Australians know what they want or if they are prepared to fight. They seem to like the nanny state, but don't understand what it's going to cost them in the way of freedom. Perhaps they believe that they can 'own nothing and be happy".

Posted by ttbn, Friday, 30 December 2022 8:36:34 PM

This is the sort of statement from a far right supporter that should be of great concern, it may be no more than "piss and wind", but who knows what this bloke could have in mind or be capable of. When asked he fails to explain what his objectives are
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 1 January 2023 8:51:16 PM
SM,

These percentages you are quoting, where did they come from? You fail to supply a reference.

"So should knife ownership be banned?" Just as I'm not advocating a wholesale ban on guns, I'm saying there should not be a total ban on knives, how would people eat their steak dinner? But, should a knife be an concealed weapon, with obvious illegal intent or purpose, then the penalties should be severe, just as they are for illegal firearms. What I believe with firearms is we should toughen up on unnecessary licensing. You have already indicated you believe 200+ deaths p/a from firearms is reasonable, and you have a nothing to see here attitude.

"The SSAA Legislative Action (SSAA-LA) department has analysed data from Australia’s police forces and statistics agencies, with the figures proving that the real rate of gun thefts is minuscule" Crunched the numbers and came up with the word "minuscule" did they? They would say that naturally, as they are one of the chief proponents of lax gun control in Australia. Anything that puts more guns into the community the SSAA would be all in favour of.
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 1 January 2023 9:13:34 PM
Paul,

Google gun crimes Australia. There are a number of papers in government archives. The figures I have quoted are genuine, though might have changed slightly since published.

Also please stop putting words in my mouth. No gun deaths are reasonable, and neither are the 250 drownings,600 stabbings, 3000 traffic deaths etc. The question is how authoritarian the government needs to be to solve a problem before the consequences are worse than the problem.

Australia already has one of the very lowest gun deaths in the world, and the indications are that a minority are caused by stolen legal guns.

From the Brisbane times:

"There are about 3.5 million registered firearms in Australia and a quarter of a million illicit ones. Associate Professor Philip Alpers, who maps the use of guns in Australia and other nations, said many of the guns now used by criminals in Melbourne had been in Australia for years."

Given the 40 000 odd "missing" guns from legal owners that would put the stolen guns at about 16% of the illegal guns floating around.

Please tell me again how the further restriction of legal licences will solve this problem?
Posted by shadowminister, Monday, 2 January 2023 6:08:30 AM
how authoritarian the government needs to be to solve a problem before the consequences are worse than the problem.
shadowminister,
It's the problem of mentality of the voters that needs sorting out first ! It's like blaming the coach for the team losing the game.
We need a more awake mob instead of a woke crowd !
Posted by Indyvidual, Monday, 2 January 2023 6:48:06 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. Page 18
  10. 19
  11. 20
  12. 21