The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > There Is An Epidemic Of Gun Crime In Australia

There Is An Epidemic Of Gun Crime In Australia

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 19
  8. 20
  9. 21
  10. All
I'm not talking about criminals shooting criminals, or innocent people being shot, or even armed holdups, although those events are common enough occurrences in Australia. No, what I am talking about is the epidemic of guns being "stolen" from supposedly law abiding licensed gun owners at an alarming rate, nearly 60 guns are being stolen a week across Australia (reported by the 'Herald Sun' newspaper), there are 45,000 missing, presumed stolen, guns in Australia, or they have disappeared overseas. How come, many would say; Are not legal guns supposedly to be locked in a secure gun safe, away from possible thieves? The answer is yes, but mysteriously legal guns have a habit of being "stolen" from their law abiding owners. Lets cut to the chase and expose the truth. Criminals are using legal gun owners, persons with no criminal record (they call them cleanskins) to channel gun into the illegal firearms black market. Research shows actual thefts account for a very small percentage of the illegal firearms market, where as the vast majority of guns supplied to the criminal class are provided by licensed gun owners at a price. So next time you hear your local newsagent or service station, has been held up by an armed robber, or an innocent person has been shot in a botched holdup, or someone was shot dead in the next street, the gun could well have come complements of a "law abiding" gun licensed citizen. The answer is very simple, disarm all those who have no real purpose for owning a gun, the weekend Rambo's, the target shooters and the so called collectors. Then gun crime might become a thing of the past in Australia.
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 19 December 2022 10:54:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul, I note with interest and some alarm, that you don't propose the same for "stolen vehicles". Don't the statistics indicate the deaths and serious injuries from licensed, registered vehicles stolen from their law abiding owners and subsequently used in illegal acts are quite concerning? Proportionally higher than the deaths from firearms related offences as I understand it ? I'd be interested to hear your opinion please?
Posted by Albie Manton in Darwin, Tuesday, 20 December 2022 12:17:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Paul,

I'm not sure if gun crime is going to become a thing
of the past in Australia. Many things would need to change.

For example, according to the findings of a 2022 Deakin
University study - it's easier than ever for criminals
to get guns illegally in Australia.

" He is a Caucasian male aged 41. He is a man likely to have
been in the youth justice system and almost certainly has
contacts to organised crime."

" And he knows a guy that can get you a gun."

This is a picture of the average Australian who operates in
the country's illegal firearms market based on the findings
of the 2022 Deakin University study.

The researchers were attempting to build a picture of the
illegal gun trade in the Australian underworld. They found
that buying an illegal gun in Australia could be as easy as a
trip to the supermarket for those in the know.

There's more at the following link:

http://abc.net.au/news/2022-09-04/illegal-firearms-shooting-police-gun-crime/101306628

Of course police have policy practices and are working towards
solutions. However criminals have learned how to evade the
standard policing practices.

A solution offered in a Queensland government funding program
is something that possibly other states could consider.
The program is designed to help men who want to leave criminal
life.

We need directed action to change the embedded culture and
behaviour. And by providing opportunities for men to leave
the criminal life and get out if they want to is a step in the
right direction.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 20 December 2022 12:29:34 PM
We were shown a video of a violent brawl of three teenage girls against another teenage girl had us all stunned yesterday. I asked if the video has been given to the Police & we were told yes but they can't take any action because the victim's grandfather is too scared about repercussions & won't press charges.
The three were indigenous & the other a caucasian but it wasn't a race related brawl I was told because they are just as violent amongst each other on a very frequent basis. A caucasian man was chased & bashed badly by two caucasian blokes & same again with the Police.
Now, both victims presented to Hospital yet not even that prompted Police to follow up or so I was told.
I would have thought acts of bodily harm would naturally be followed up by Police !
So, all criminals have to do is to threaten victims not to report to the Police & all will be good for them next time !
Is it just me or is there a critically serious flaw in our Justice system ?
Posted by Indyvidual, Tuesday, 20 December 2022 12:54:36 PM
What utter rubbish! There is no epidemic of gun crime in Australia. We all abor the deaths of those young police officers and the neighbour, but you really have to be right off your trolley to think the horrible episode is part of an 'epidemic'.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 20 December 2022 1:09:02 PM
Hi Albie,

Happy to address your queries, your comparing stolen vehicles to stolen firearms is chalk and cheese. Firstly there is little stolen vehicle fraud in Australia, whereby a vehicle is reported stolen when in fact that is not the case, and fraud has taken place. There are cases of stolen vehicle reported "theft", but in fact it is prearranged "theft", usually relating to insurance fraud. The vast majority of vehicles reported stolen have genuinely been stolen, with no fault attributed to the owner. In the case of guns that is not so, for the nearly 60 guns a week reported "stolen", in the vast majority of cases it is a prearranged fraud, as the criminal wanting the gun is prepared to pay five or six times the guns legal value. With only 3.5% of Australians holding a gun licence, how come there are some 45,000 missing firearms, considering the required security for keeping those firearms. The conclusion is there is a large number of licensed "law abiding" gun owners who are willing to commit a crime themselves to make a large profit from those wanting to use a firearm for criminal purposes.

ttbn, when your comprehension improves I may address what you say, read the title, then read my opening post, and maybe you'll comprehend what I am saying that there is an epidemic of guns being "stolen" (actually fraud) from supposedly law abiding licensed gun owners, for the purpose of supplying legal guns, illegally to criminals.

Indy, these days police have the power to charge a person when they suspect a crime has been committed, the normal requirements of evidence are required. The days are long gone when a victim had the power to press or withdraw charges. Get with the times.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 20 December 2022 2:30:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 19
  8. 20
  9. 21
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy