The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Misguided and misogynistic religiosity > Comments

Misguided and misogynistic religiosity : Comments

By Irfan Yusuf, published 27/10/2006

Sheik Taj Din al-Hilali's latest gaffe illustrates the widespread misogyny that exists among Muslim religious leaders.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. Page 17
  10. 18
  11. 19
  12. 20
  13. ...
  14. 23
  15. 24
  16. 25
  17. All
Hello Irfan,

My eyes are opened now as a muslim woman Shakira speaks about his experiences:

Eyes opened by Islamic chauvinism

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20673860-601,00.html

" Mustafa - tried to drag her under their control in the name of Islam."

" As soon as we made contact, he said I should be living under my father's roof, or with my grandmother, or an aunt.

"I didn't realise how serious he was. I just told him that I wasn't interested."

"He (Mustafa) would berate me about that, in part because she was Jewish, but also because I was living out of home," she said.

"Eventually I told him to get lost, mind his own business. But he would come to the house, knocking on the door, to insist I come home with him, to live under our father's roof."

"where a young man, a relative, would decide how I should live, or dress, or behave."

"We should know from London that young Muslim men are feeling disenfranchised - they do not fit into their own cultures, or into Western cultures - and we should not have leaders encouraging them toward this frightening, controlling behaviour."

I am sure this is happening in almost all muslim families
Posted by obozo, Tuesday, 31 October 2006 3:10:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There seems to be antidotes galour about the male attitude to women.
Some say it is not islamic teaching but it is so widespread that it
is hard to believe that it is not fundermental to the religion.
Some people quote the Quaran for backing that this male attitude is
affirmed as correct. I don't bother to go and read it but so what, it
does not matter if it is in that book or not.
It is there and cannot be denied.

So what do we do about it ? Not easy, but it cannot go on like this
or we will turn the country into another Beruit.
When such a small percentage of Lebanese in the country end up with
40 % of the population of one gaol you have to ask yourself if they
should be here at all.
How to encourage them to go. It might cost a lot but would enough go
if they were offered a good price for their house and $500,000 as
a going away present. When you look at the cost of keeping them in
gaol it would probably be worth it. It would be something like
$75,000,000,000. It could be worth it in the long term.
The expense would not all occur in one year.
Of course immgration from those areas and those people would have to
be stopped.
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 31 October 2006 3:41:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Maximus wrote: "Of course, when I meet their trashy, scumbag tramps of girlfriends in the street, with their tramp stamp tattoos, body piercings, exposed bodies, drugged and drunk, I have nothing but pity for them."

I would suggest that it is you who is the scumbag Maximus, with your' superficial jugement of others.

So, you think Vivy's point is valid? I don't. If I were a woman, I would rather a few cat calls, and wolf whistles from a couple of tradies to being gang raped by a pack a rabid dogs who call themselves Muslim.
Posted by Stomont, Tuesday, 31 October 2006 4:03:06 PM
The term 'meat market' has been in the Australian vernacular for a long time to denote certain types of bars and clubs. The idea of people as 'meat' is not necessarily rejected by this culture in certain contexts.

Hilali's sermon also said that men were more culpable than women for the 'crime of stealing' to contrast his claim that women were more culpable than men in the 'crime of adultery'. Each claim is as 'sexist' as the other, although strangely, no-one seems to give a firefly's fart when men are discriminated against. The presence however of sexism against men in the sermon should at least put a query over the claims of sexism against women because as he is 'discriminating on the basis of sex' against both sexes he is treated them both equally.

Clearly the Mufti's views come from a different cultural paradigm and perhaps a different century (and not necessarily an adjacent one) and personally I believe he is so out of touch with the modern world that he would be much better replaced but I also think that about the pope who got into similar trouble over a similar quote from a similar source. I wonder if anybody would want to see the pope deported?

The charge of sexism is logically very thin indeed. I suspect that the powers that be decided they didnt want Hilali around anymore - waited for him to say something naive and ambiguous and pounced. John Howard sent in Pru Goward, his brand new attack dog, under the cloak of Feminism which gives her impunity and super human powers and bob's your uncle - this is an ex-mufti.
Posted by Rob513264, Wednesday, 1 November 2006 5:08:36 AM
With deft flick of the wrist Rob 513264 tickles the ball down to fine leg and takes a single - that takes this thread up to a hundred.

He raises his bat to the crowd, kisses the emblem on the baggy green cap and turns to face the bowler
Posted by sneekeepete, Wednesday, 1 November 2006 3:32:26 PM
Is that so Rob513264? Those nasty women. What is the world coming to? To think rape victims are part of a feminist conspiracy. That poor neo-prophet Sheik Hilali - his only crime to be naïve in a world so complicated that such intricate and convoluted concepts such as human rights evilly reign supreme.

Any man who thinks his daughter, mother, sister, wife, girlfriend, work colleague could do anything to deserve being raped is sick. The Sheiks views are the views of a pervert. As any real man knows only a pervert would entertain the concept of rape. Only a pervert would blame the victim of rape.

Perhaps if Hilali belongs in another century he should pack his bags and find a cave somewhere. What he said does not occur in a vacuum; Hilali would not say such sick and perverted things if it was not integral to Islamic concept. That is why all religion and all religious people must be judged on the worst crimes of the religion. To choose to be part of a religion is to embrace the worst crimes of that sect as a manifest of that sect’s concept of righteousness. We do hear about all the lace embroidery from apologists but when the theology hits the fan we see the dark truth behind the belief system as we have seen with Hilali.

Pru Goward the attack dog? Goward has not bitten anybody. Hilali has incited violence against Australians, he has called the Governments bluff and they have failed to act responsively. Next time another neo-prophet will do the same with a little more hostility, and then another slightly worst. Before we know it we have another Paris on our hands or worst we could end up with anti feminists with political power.
Posted by West, Wednesday, 1 November 2006 10:26:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. Page 17
  10. 18
  11. 19
  12. 20