The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Misguided and misogynistic religiosity > Comments

Misguided and misogynistic religiosity : Comments

By Irfan Yusuf, published 27/10/2006

Sheik Taj Din al-Hilali's latest gaffe illustrates the widespread misogyny that exists among Muslim religious leaders.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 23
  8. 24
  9. 25
  10. All
Excellent Article Irfan.

One quick question I have; why do there appear to be so few Aussie born and raised Islamic religious leaders in Australia? Whats the deal with importing them from overseas?

Surely many problems would be solved by having leaders who understand Australian life and culture, and the needs of the majority of their mosques?

cheers,

gw
Posted by gw, Friday, 27 October 2006 9:47:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It’s only natural for leaders in a male-dominated religion that women should be blamed for many of our maladies. Are we likely to get any sense out of someone whose life is lived in the cloistered structure of a mosque?

This same man also believes that many years ago an illiterate anhedonic ascended Mt Hera and sat in a cave to receive the wisdom of his lord. A reading of the Qur'an will reveal that exploitation of women was not only allowed but in some cases it was rewarded.

Is anything remotely contemporary likely to spoken by the mufti? When will the mufti ask men to be responsible for their behaviour?
Posted by Sage, Friday, 27 October 2006 9:58:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
From what I seen reported, Hilali's quote spoke about the relationship between women and men, yet it is only the former than has attracted media attention. While the description of women as 'meat' is deplorable the characterisation of men as 'cats' is dangerous. I suggest that Hilali's reported misanthropy is as serious as his apparent misogyny, afterall the image of 'cats' suggests than the appetites of men are instinctual, bestial and rapacious, clearly beyond any measure of self-control. Not only do attitudes to women need rethinking but the whole picture of what it means to be a man requires close examination also.

Although Hilali’s reported comments are lamentable, let us be measured and moderate in our response. I am sure that few want to see a repeat of the firestorm that recently engulfed an eminent Christian leader over his poorly chosen words. Deportation, deposition or gagging are not the solution. Might we not bring the matter of female and male identity to the fore in inter-faith and community conversations instead? Surely, it is time for Australians to put the spectacle of a modern day media ‘flogging’ behind us and find a more productive forward in our life together.
Posted by Wayne283, Friday, 27 October 2006 10:09:16 AM
Wayne, well put. It's a sad portrayal of males suggested that they have the ethical and moral control of a cat.

Smart and fun though they are they are not generally noted for their moral and or ethical behaviour.

As a human male I choose to restrain myself from taking what is not mine even if it is left lying around uncovered and unguarded. Quite simple really. I'm even able to resist taking what might be freely given but which is likely to harm myself or others.

It's not really that difficult, most of us seem to be able to live that way with no great difficulty. When someone takes what is not theirs but which is lying around uncovered the problem is with them and nobody else.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Friday, 27 October 2006 10:58:26 AM
The problem with muslim people and muslim mindset is that they are still living in the middle ages and they are unwilling to come out of that. So in the enlightened and just society where men and women enjoy equal rights and freedom, they have become symbols of anachronism and irrelevance and become a burden of civilised societies.
Posted by roop, Friday, 27 October 2006 11:17:25 AM
Robert,
I totally agree. We do not frequent brothels because we can. We exercise restraint and personal responsibility toward our spouse. We do not circle nude bathers making lewd suggestive comments as seems the nature of some perverted men.
Posted by Philo, Friday, 27 October 2006 11:22:14 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 23
  8. 24
  9. 25
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy