The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > An open letter to the Prime Minister from Australia’s secular parents > Comments

An open letter to the Prime Minister from Australia’s secular parents : Comments

By The Australian Secular Lobby, published 5/7/2010

There should be a wall of separation between the religious proselytising ambitions of church recruiters and our children.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. 12
  14. 13
  15. All
Just in case of misunderstanding; in this sentence: <I'm sure many parents blithely think it "might even do the little buggers some good"> above, I was referring to religion in schools in general and not to the sentence that immediately preceded it.
Posted by Squeers, Thursday, 8 July 2010 12:39:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This ‘open letter’ speaks of Australia as a secular state. I’m not sure if that is an official status or an ideal.

I know some countries call themselves ‘a republic’ and the word itself means many different things or perhaps nothing. If we are a secular state, then we need to carefully define it, and the devil is in the detail.

While I am happy to support this letter in some of its ideals, I think it’s a bit woolly around the edges, especially where people define the word secular slightly differently.

Can I ask someone who supports this letter: is the word ‘secular’ in the Australian Constitution or perhaps any other official documents
Posted by Dan S de Merengue, Monday, 19 July 2010 1:50:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dan Asks: “Can I ask someone who supports this letter: is the word ‘secular’ in the Australian Constitution or perhaps any other official documents”

I don't know if it's in any other official documents, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't appear in the constitution.

I'm also pretty sure that you knew this and that you were waiting for someone to point out Section 116 of Australia's constitution - which mentions freedom of religion - so that you could point out that this is all it mentions.

But what you fail to realise, Dan, is that Freedom OF religion also means freedom FROM religion.
Posted by AJ Philips, Monday, 19 July 2010 2:34:04 PM
I said what I said, and I meant what I said.
Posted by Dan S de Merengue, Monday, 19 July 2010 3:09:35 PM
Secular can mean
* separation of state and church(es)
* freedom for religions (to not be suppressed by other religions or beliefs)
* freedom from religion(s)

I support the first two, and would hope the last option might only apply to education in state schools.
Posted by McReal, Monday, 19 July 2010 5:47:12 PM
Secular is *both* a legal status *and* an ideal.

The mistaken belief that a single religion is correct in the absence of evidence is nonsense.

*first* the religionists submit a "true" one they can all agree on, and *then* it would be worth spending more than a few minutes debunking.

Rusty
Posted by Rusty Catheter, Monday, 19 July 2010 6:57:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11