The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > An open letter to the Prime Minister from Australia’s secular parents > Comments

An open letter to the Prime Minister from Australia’s secular parents : Comments

By The Australian Secular Lobby, published 5/7/2010

There should be a wall of separation between the religious proselytising ambitions of church recruiters and our children.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. All
Dan, The Treaty of Westphalia set up the secular state, 1648, and all flows from that treatment of the end of Papal wars that had brought havoc to Europe, and elsewhere, for centuries past.

The chaplaincy programme that you seem to support, supports Christianity above all other religions.

It is run by fruitcakes who speak in tongues, pluck serpents from chests, and have no qualifications to do anything at all.

They evangelise for Christianity, and abuse their position in schools.

Clearly, you see no reason to wonder about all of this, and you seem to be unaware that freedom 'from' religion is tied in to freedom 'of' religion these days.

Like many Christians, you seem to think you have a right-to-impose, and resent any objections to this world view.

You have already told us you know nothing at all about the chaplaincy programme, so why bother defending what you know nothing about?
Posted by The Blue Cross, Monday, 26 July 2010 10:45:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Blue Cross,
I do wonder about it. And I don’t resent your worldview. I just disagree with you.

I said I know little about the particular chaplaincy program. I do not defend the particular program. I defend the right in principle for Christians or any other group not to be discriminated against because of their beliefs.

If you or other critics could say something constructive rather than use slander and emotive language, e.g. ‘fruitcakes’ and serpent pluckers, than I and others might give you more of an ear.
Posted by Dan S de Merengue, Monday, 26 July 2010 11:32:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dan

Try this for a rational critique:
http://www.psychology.org.au/Assets/Files/APS-Submission-School-Chaplains-July2010.pdf

I see you defend their 'honour' when I call them fruitcakes, not what they do.

Up to you of course.

My objection to them in schools is not an objection to 'religion'.

There should be no public funding of religion, in public schools, in this manner, and certainly not if we are to live in a secular state.

Religion is funded, publicly, in many other areas, including in faith schools. Whether it should be or not is another matter.

Try this one from the UK, which is not a secular state, but a Christian theocracy, like the Taliban want to create in Afghanistan:
http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/news/Let-s-talk-8211-route-divided-city/article-2447165-detail/article.html

If you think someone who says they can grow amputated limbs back is not a fruitcake, do tell.... ditto with the serpent pluckers.

I suspect they are either total charlatans, who should be exposed for their dangerous silliness, or mentally ill, and should be treated, although preferably not by one of their own serpent pluckers.
Posted by The Blue Cross, Monday, 26 July 2010 11:44:58 AM
Sure Dan,

Bring in a real religion. Just one will do.

Betting it's not yours.

In the meantime, secularism is what we have, which includes and encompasses a *lot* of people who are awfully touchy about how priveleged their particular favourite piece of fiction and it's marketing department may be.

Get over it Dan, or cough up a real miracle, not just a story written long ago purporting to describe one.

Rusty
Posted by Rusty Catheter, Monday, 26 July 2010 9:54:58 PM
Life's a gamble. Take those odds.
Posted by Dan S de Merengue, Thursday, 29 July 2010 11:51:28 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy