The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Closing the Gap 2020 Report

Closing the Gap 2020 Report

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. 12
  14. 13
  15. All
Hi Individual,

Please forgive my poor grammar - I meant:

"As Noel Pearson advised many years ago, I too look forward to Aboriginal people WHO ARE CURRENTLY on lifelong welfare, getting DOWN from the welfare pedestal, taking a cut in their lifelong NO-WORK income, and making the effort to gain some skills and get into employment - even if it's at a lower income level than they would have been on welfare - and getting their kids through schooling."

I hope that this makes what I was getting at, a bit clearer.

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Saturday, 15 February 2020 11:40:44 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Joe,

Not only Noel Pearson but also the late Burnam Burnham, he said it to me in 1979 during a discussion of ways to help people and he was scathing of "sit down money" and its effect on his people.
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 15 February 2020 12:07:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul, "bred out" is the opposite of "inbred"' which you seem to hold up as the desirable outcome for the tribes.

Is this the 21st Century effect of inbreeding?
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/is-this-australia-hundreds-in-hiding-after-fleeing-aurukun-riots-20200210-p53z9o.html?fbclid=IwAR3ngXVtC2A_EnL2nxnnwiiENQsVw8jVqI5gN8p9LfMs8LVi3Q5A-yAu8eQ
Posted by Josephus, Saturday, 15 February 2020 4:23:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A conquered people, disposed of their land and stripped of their dignity. What do you expect?

One government scheme that has been described as "sit down money" is the Community Development Program (CDP) begun in 2015. In a 2019 survey it was reported of the 35,000 participants in the CDP scheme 89% were Indigenous. From 1,000 people surveyed, 36% of participants say their communities are worse off under the scheme, 21% felt their community was better off and 32% said their community was the same as before it began in 2015. As a condition of income support, remote area participants must engage in up to 25 hours of work for the dole, five days a week. A review of CDP found Aboriginal participants were three times more likely to be penalised for non attendance than others, with Aboriginal men under 35 being the highest penalised group. They were also the most likely participants to have poor English-language proficiency, lower education levels, limited online and phone access to deal with Centrelink, and less mobility. CEO of the Aboriginal Peak Organisations Northern Territory (APONT), John Patterson, said the “CDP experiment should be abandoned and replaced with a positive Aboriginal-led model that ensures a better future for our people”.

Can we put the Community Development Program down as another one of the failures of Whitie knows what is best for Aboriginal people.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 15 February 2020 4:41:30 PM
Josephus, I took it from what you said, that you favoured some kind of Nazi style, controlled breeding program, a program to breed out Aboriginality. That was one of the objectives of white Aboriginal Controllers back in the 1930's, a way of dealing with the Aboriginal problem.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 15 February 2020 4:50:42 PM
Pauo,

The forerunner of the CDP, the Community Development Employment Program, CDEP, was scrapped a decade ago as a complete failure. Government failure ? I'm not so sure: in the communities I was familiar with, the local community organisers of their programs decided what counted as 'work': the usual was:

* . looking after one's home;

* . mowing one's lawn;

* a bit of nominal community service.

Some people were on CDEP - training for employment - for more than twenty years.

Strange: when I was first working in factories in the sixties, I was given, at most, a few minutes training, and then onto the job. Being a feckless youth, I had about four or five different jobs a year (those were the days) but had little trouble in getting into the swing each time. And I'm not all that bright either.

You very helpfully put your finger on some of the background problems: " ..... the most likely participants to have poor English-language proficiency, lower education levels, limited online and phone access to deal with Centrelink, and less mobility."

So what would you propose to overcome these problems ? Who should be involved - apart from the participants ? Can courses be devised for each of these crucial obstacles ? Of course. Will the participants take them ? Hmmmm, who knows ? They don't seem to have done, up until now. Live in hope, eh, Paul ?

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Saturday, 15 February 2020 5:15:49 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11