The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Closing the Gap 2020 Report

Closing the Gap 2020 Report

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. All
Hi Joe,

You have unlike many of our fellow citizens made an effort to understand the plight of Aboriginal people. The answer to the problems does lie in education leading to equal opportunity, and hopefully one day with the barriers of the past removed Aboriginal people will without discrimination take their rightful place in the modern Australian society. This report has once more highlighted the inequality in the lives of many. Its not a question of money, but more a question of how its used to benefit those who need it the most.
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 16 February 2020 9:15:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Its not a question of money, but more a question of how its used to benefit those who need it the most.
Paul1405,
I totally agree. Disinterested bureaucrats & disinterested indigenous should not receive what's meant for those who want to make things better !
Posted by individual, Sunday, 16 February 2020 10:28:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I would go somewhere in between.

While there is a responsibility on the government to close the gap, there is equally a responsibility on the aboriginal communities to take the actions necessary.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 17 February 2020 10:34:32 AM
Paul, you keep making the comment about “ breeding out the colour”. I am unsure of exactly what was done to ensure this happened. Perhaps you could enlighten me.
I do know that many many aboriginal women chose white partners over black ones. It was common in both the NT and W.A. to see full blood women living with white men. When I asked my husband why, he explained that tribal women were treated better by white men, than by their black partners. One of his old grannies had once had a white partner for many years, till he died, and they had two children. Ultimately she had two black husbands and the one white one. When I asked her how the white one had treated her, the response was “ he was the best man I ever had. He give me clean blanket to sleep on at night and never beat me”.
Relationships these days have moved well past the sleeping on blankets in the bush stage but the census shows that over 70% of aboriginal people have non aboriginal partners, so the breeding out has long been a personal choice.
Posted by Big Nana, Tuesday, 18 February 2020 9:36:38 AM
Big Nana,
Yes ! Thank you for telling it as it was !
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 18 February 2020 1:27:18 PM
Big Nanna, I was quoting O. A. Neville, Chief Protector in Western Australia from 1915 to 1940. (He said) He could do nothing for Aborigines, who were dying out, but he could absorb the "half-castes":

Indigenous people the world over, as a pure race are a rarity, as they tend to interbreed with the conquerors, who dominate in numbers and material wealth,is that not obvious to you. And in all fairness not all the newcomers are bad people, some make for good partners etc etc.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 18 February 2020 9:35:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. All