The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Blessed Relief from Unspeakable Terror

Blessed Relief from Unspeakable Terror

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 13
  12. 14
  13. 15
  14. All
You're right, Bazz,I do accept that's part of it. I doubt if there's anything our politicians do that isn't in some way driven by vote buying, and I certainly wouldn't claim this whole thing as an exception.
But, there is a dilemma here and I guess it goes to the heart of our various philosophies.
Should the cost of playing our part in saving the planet be spread equally across every Australian, regardless of his or her ability to pay? Or should the cost be apportioned in some other way?
I guess those who lean to Starboard would say that every one should pay equally, while those who lean to Port would say that maybe we could find a way of apportioning cost in a way that causes the least amount of discomfort to the most people.
As Labor clearly leans to Port, I think there is - to some degree - a genuine attempt here to make the whole process somewhat less painful for those on our community who can least afford it.
But one thing I will add - if it's an attempt at vote buying then so far - judging by today's poll figures - I have to say it's been a spectacular failure.
But then,(he says with a sigh), I would also have to admit that it wouldn't be Labor's only spectacular failure of late.
These are not days when it's exactly easy subscribing to a belief in social justice, as it's getting rather a pig's breakfast made of it.
Anthony
http://www.observationpoint.com.au
Posted by Anthonyve, Monday, 2 July 2012 12:24:44 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well Anthony I can see your frustration is in place.
However I am frustrated because the whole AGW thing is distorted by
what appears to be the refusal of the IPCC to rerun their computer
models against the Upsalla Unis Global Energy Groups data on realistic
available fossil fuel data.

That group has shown that the real track is significantly below the
IPCC's lowest temperature track.
So until the IPCC can demonstrate its honesty I am very skeptical.

In anycase we are all worrying about the wrong problem, which is the
now presence of peak crude oil and the end of growth.
That will reduce CO2 much faster than any fiddling with taxes.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 2 July 2012 12:45:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
lentils are delicious.
(especially with beef):)!
Posted by leg, Monday, 2 July 2012 1:01:14 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree Bazz, Peak Oil has been and gone, I think.
I mentioned somewhere else on OLO recently about a friend of mine who is in the oil drill bit business and he was telling me how incredibly complicated bits are now because they have to get into such ridiculously difficult places to find any oil.
The company I have with my son is doing the sales teams training throughout Australia for the new GM Volt, and GM seem extremely confident that the car is going to be a game changer.
Maybe they know something...
Anthony
http://www.observationpoint.com.au
Posted by Anthonyve, Monday, 2 July 2012 1:33:00 PM
Hi Leg,

Yeah, just throw them in with the frog, they'll cook soon enough ......
Posted by Loudmouth, Monday, 2 July 2012 1:50:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Lentils are good with anything.
Well maybe not long necked white cranes, but that is another story.
Banjo I am from the group calling for the hob nail boot approach to greens.
It will happen but may be too late.
Right now on issues like boat people we let them boot us.
They grow on us not the other way around the truly lost,within my party fear driving more from us to them, but do just that by bending to them.
CARBON TAX moving to price is not an issue, we all will soon enough get evidence man contributes to the problem.
Bazz clean energy is a promise not a threat, post peak oil it will help save us.
In fact * if big power big capital did not have such an investment in oil, coal, and petroleum we would not see the denialists funded*
Posted by Belly, Monday, 2 July 2012 2:40:49 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 13
  12. 14