The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Blessed Relief from Unspeakable Terror

Blessed Relief from Unspeakable Terror

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. 15
  10. All
This morning I crawled out of bed, shaking with terror.
This was the day we've been warned about every hour, more or less on the hour, by Tony Abbott; the day when Whyalla would become a ghost town, the guts would be torn from Australian industry, ordinary Australians would be sent broke, jobs would flee across the water as fasts as their little legs would carry them.
With shaking hand, I drew back a corner of the curtain and peeped out the window.
Sky still where it should be? Check.
Birds still singing? Check.
I opened Google Earth. Whyalla still there? Check.
Whew!! It seemed as though nothing had changed.
After a relaxing breakfast, (I had feared that yesterday's might be my last, so dire have been the Opposition's predictions), I checked my mail from Friday.
And there was a letter from my energy supplier telling me about projects they are implementing to reduce their carbon footprint ahead of the Carbon Tax.
So, it seems that, after all, something has changed.
Just not what Abbott and his fellow end-of-the-word-as-we-know-iters expected.
The Carbon Tax has begun to have its intended affect already.
Otherwise, today looks pretty much like yesterday.
Anthony
http://www.observationpoint.com.au
Posted by Anthonyve, Sunday, 1 July 2012 12:19:23 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
And you'll wonder why so many of us will enjoy seeing you balling into your lentils, after the next election.

That will be fair after many of my neighbours will be eating beans rather than beef as our announced electricity price rises bite.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 1 July 2012 2:45:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh, no, anything but lentils. Won't I at least be able to have a Macas?
Anthony
Http//:www.observationpoint.com.au
Posted by Anthonyve, Sunday, 1 July 2012 2:56:51 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Anthonyve,
You don't really expect anything the ALP does either negative or totally senseless to have an impact in 12 or 14 hours ? Don't be so stupid, wait till next month.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 1 July 2012 3:59:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Horror on horror Anthony, the Mackas may cost ten cents more, with built in rip off.
We can enjoy the uninformed rants however.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 1 July 2012 4:46:59 PM
Give it a month or two, Belly, and you'll be paying a dollar more :)

Anthony,
This is a fascinating way to argue - take someone else's argument way beyond absurdum, take their relatively long-term predictions to idiotic extremes and slag them accordingly. Abbott et al. surely meant that Whyalla - if it is going to wither away at all - would take much longer than a minute, or a day, to do so, a sort of death by a thousand cuts, in labour cuts, in local income cuts, local revenue cuts, local property value cuts, etc.

But that way of arguing is intriguing - attribute to your opponent some dumb-@rse assertion, rubbish it, and thereby prove both how brilliant you are and how moronic your opponent is. And in the process, prove nothing.

If he had nothing better to do, Pericles would have a Latin phrase for it - perhaps 'reductio ultra absurdum' ?

Wait and see.
Posted by Loudmouth, Sunday, 1 July 2012 5:16:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. 15
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy