The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Blessed Relief from Unspeakable Terror

Blessed Relief from Unspeakable Terror

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All
SPQR et al,
The word for the day is 'middle ground'.
Can we all say 'middle ground', boys and girls?
Anthony
http://wwwobservationpoint.com.au
Posted by Anthonyve, Monday, 2 July 2012 9:35:46 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oops! Better make that Phrase for the day.
Anthony
http://www.observationpoint.com.au
Posted by Anthonyve, Monday, 2 July 2012 9:47:29 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
@Anthonyv

Leading *with our chin* by imposing the worlds highest carbon tax (starting at 23/t with an aspiration to grow to 37/t) is hardly taking the middle ground.
Posted by SPQR, Monday, 2 July 2012 10:17:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ho Hum !

If it is going to have near zero effect, why are we bothering ?
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 2 July 2012 10:17:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Interesting and reasonable question, Bazz.
There are two answers.
First, it is becoming increasingly obvious that getting the world to commit to a united plan is proving fruitless. Sadly, there are too many Tony Abbott's in the world.
So, either we collectively do nothing and the world is irreparably harmed, or, one by one, each country comes to its senses and acts.
Some 40+ countries are ahead of us on that score. Even America where Republicans have poisoned the argument, is ahead of Australia in taking action.
China, although still and will remain a massive polluter, is doing far, far more than is Australia, even after our Carbon Tax.
So that's the first reason. It matters, because we become one more country taking essential action to save the planet.
The second reason is to do with symbolism. Australia is the world's highest per capita polluter. So the world is watching to see if we act.
Now you could say that symbolism doesn't matter, but ask yourself this. How would you feel is I publicly urinated on the Australian flag?
You might well be offended. I know I would if someone else did it.Yet it's only a piece of dyed cloth.
And why might we feel offended?
The answer is because the flag symbolizes something important.
So, you see, symbolism does matter.
And that's the second reason why the carbon tax matters.
Anthony
http://www.observationpoint.com.au
Posted by Anthonyve, Monday, 2 July 2012 10:39:30 AM
Hmmm I see Anthony, symbolism, hmmm.
Well until the IPCC reruns its computer models using the Upsalla
realistic data for the amount of available fossil fuels, I will
continue to harbour my doubts about the whole exercise.

It is a classic GIGO event.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 2 July 2012 10:49:26 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All