The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Victorian Inquiry Church Child Molesting

Victorian Inquiry Church Child Molesting

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Belly,
I do not think there is a need for any inquiry or Royal Commission.

We already know 'kiddy fiddling' takes place, there has been enough evidence to well and truely establish that. All that an inquiry does is delay the process of government taking tougher action.

Your link show the priest only gets 5 years non parole. With time already served he will likely be out in 3 years. Then there are those that knew about his activities and did nothing. There is aidding and abetting a crime and it is a crime to have knowledge of a crime and not report it.

These laws already exist, so just make them more severe and charge the accomplishers as well. Nothing difficult about it.

Before Dreamon critisizes Aus too much, he should have a look at what kids endure in other cultures. Incest and pedophilia are normal in some, some are sold into slavery and prostitution. Traficing in kids is common and in Niogeria recently a baby 'factory' was discovered where babies were produced and sold to be sacrificed in a black magic occult.

All we need are politicians who are willing to insist on enforcing our laws.
Posted by Banjo, Thursday, 19 April 2012 5:22:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Banjo,

You've missed the point completely.
You can insist all you like as far as
politicians and the law go. However
only a Royal Commission has the power
to force the Church not to sweep things
under the rug. And this is what must be done
and hasn't been done - thus far.
Posted by Lexi, Thursday, 19 April 2012 6:44:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi (again) Belly...

Of course you're perfectly correct, and you'll not get any arguement from me. Do we, any Pollie, or anyone at all, have the necessary 'wherewithall' to really do something about this, that's effective ? Hold a Royal Commission ?

No, of course they won't. All we ever do in Australia (sadly), is talk, talk and more talk...and still more talk, with a few promises thrown in.

And still the children suffer.

I was in the coppers for many years. Offences against children were occuring (unabated) then, just as they are now. Still, those with all the power and influence (of either political party), simply talked, thus nothing happened, and nothing was done.

This Parlimentary Inquiry, will not achieve it's objective. Despite all the goodwill of those participating. The guilty will manage to 'slither' away, ad nauseam. And still they'll talk ?

God help the children. For as sure as hell, we can't......or should I say, we won't ?
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 19 April 2012 7:03:31 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Lexi,
I agree with o sung wu. If I thought an inquiry or Royal commission would achieve anything I would totally support it.

There was a Senate inquiry into the 'Forgotten Australians' do you recall? They got an apology but I have yet to see charges laid for the abuse. There was also an inquiry held in relation to FGM in 1994 and the outcome, education. 18 years later and the incidence is increasing.

The politicians only worry about retaining power, there are very few like John Hatton who are prepared to rock the boat. An inquiry just fools the public into thinking they are doing something. Gives time to let the issue pass.

A government is stupid to order any inquiry if they know not what the outcome will be. Could be embarrassing.

I doubt very much if many records exist of why clergy were transfered from one place to another, in any of the churches. How many clergy would claim they cannot recall?

Frustrating for police to do all the work and see the perpetraitors walk away or get off with a wrist slap.
Posted by Banjo, Thursday, 19 April 2012 10:27:32 PM
Good day o sung wo Lexi Banjo.
Well first o sung wo how could I not agree your words are my own, and the pain that generates is hurting.
Banjo ok but again, do not ever underestimate to costs of imprisonment.
I do, firmly, think pressure is put on our courts right now to not send as many to prison.
Consider too at the other end,nothing to do with law and punishment, some walk out of those prisons long before they should.
Lexi while those against Royal Commission have a point, little of worth may come from it I agree with you.
First we unlike other country's currently do not have the power to hold the Church responsible, we would get that.
Each generation ,for hundreds of years, has known about this, we MUST NOT EVER over look Banjos thoughts!
If we walk around them,because we fear the implications of offending followers of another faith, we are complacent in the crime, it happens here, is in fact being demanded by some as a right even a law!
In the end, is our generation, todays living humans, up to being the one that puts an end to ANYONE from ANY WALK of life walking away free from a crime that can not be forgiven.
Consider this, every attempt to name pedophiles list them is confronted by human rights advocates who, are never there for the victims.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 20 April 2012 6:50:43 AM
http://brokenrites.alphalink.com.au/nletter/whatsnew.html
I can not walk away from this one.
We all should not.
Could have posted page after page of links just in our country.
Libraries of them from world wide
Runner have you reconsidered your views?
Posted by Belly, Friday, 20 April 2012 1:49:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy