The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Bullying?

Bullying?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12
  13. ...
  14. 24
  15. 25
  16. 26
  17. All
Lexi psoted a link to a site called "Know Bull", which she prefers to the Worksafe Vitoria data. On that site is a link to a survey they conducted among some 54 visitors to the site in 2009. That survey appears to form the basis for their claims about bullying. The site is an advocacy site set up to raise awareness about bullying. It acknowledges its survey "is not scientific" or "by a professional research organisation".

The worksafe data was based on all complaints to the Department last year, some 6000 or so, according to the Department, which is about double that of the previous year. Also according to the department, the major cause of such an increase was "increased awareness of bullying".

So let's examine the data Lexi likes. Firstly, let's have a look at what they consider to be "bullying".

Intimidating behaviour

Humiliating behaviour

‘Public’ displays of bullying behaviours

Decisions constantly undermined

Threatening behaviour

Verbal abuse

‘Mobbing’ i.e. the coercion of others into a bullying ‘gang up

Character assassination

Constant ‘nit-picking’

Predominantly ‘private’ displays of bullying behaviours (behind closed doors)

Changes to working conditions i.e. pay drop, removal of privileges

Constant criticism of your work/ability to do your job

False accusations/lying

Malicious gossip, innuendo, or rumours spread

Yelling

Excluded from work emails and meetings

Ridicule

Intimidation, threats, or other behaviour that extends beyond work e.g. home environment

Theft of ‘credit’ i.e. where the bully takes credit for the work of another

Interference with ability to perform job e.g. ‘sabotage’, ensuring failure

Undeserved work evaluations

Overt threats about ongoing employment

Amending/adding work tasks that aren’t covered in your job description

Invasion of privacy (mail opened, email abuse, office search without prior knowledge/consent

Cancelling of holidays, or denial of leave

So what does Workcover say most of the complaints were about? That's right: "'I think what we are seeing is that the term bullying is being used quite loosely in the community now in many instances to describe something that has 'gone against me' or 'that I haven't liked' or something that 'I haven't wanted to do','' says Mr Forsyth."
Posted by Antiseptic, Thursday, 28 July 2011 7:43:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The report gives some characteristics of bullies and victims, based once again on their little survey.

"When a workplace bully is called on to explain their actions they invariably use a variety of strategies to evade accountability such as: feigning victim hood, counterattack, and denial – by either flat out refusing to admit to their behaviour, or stating they didn’t know what they were doing. However, workplace bullies also excel at deception, compulsive lying, and manipulation. They have a clear understanding of the difference between right and wrong – they just choose not to conform to socially acceptable standards of behaviour. Workplace bullies don’t bully simply because they don’t know what they’re doing, or worse – just ‘doing their job’. Bullying is behaviour…and behaviour is choice. It’s no different to the molester who chooses to molest, the abuser who chooses to abuse, or the rapist who chooses to rape. Bullies bully, because they choose to bully."

So, in a nutshell, bullies are sociopaths to a woman, according to this site. I say woman, because their little survey found that most "bullies", based on ther criteria, are women. I don't necessarily agree, but there you go.

As for "targets"

"Question 21: How would you describe the work ethic and personality traits of the ‘target’ prior to being targeted?"
Skilled
Hard working
Truthful
Very competent
Intelligent
Professional
Ethical
Independent
Shy and/or very quiet
Very friendly
Fair/just
Well respected
Admired
Strong
Self-assured
A loner
The office "nerd"
Other: including helpful, kind thoughtful
Unprofessional
Loathed by others
Tardy
Incompetent
Unfriendly
Dishonest"

Unsurprisingly, not one of the respondents saw themselves as having one of the final 6 charateristics...

So, Lexi, as a concerned voter and a friend of genuine victims I'm sure you'll be in touch with Know Bull to express your concern at their contribution to the false perceptions that have caused so much waste.
Posted by Antiseptic, Thursday, 28 July 2011 7:54:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Kerryanne,

A couple of things. Firstly Thank You for the two examples that
you've given me. However neither qualify as bullying. As Pelican pointed out - there seems to be two different discussions going on here.

Right from the very beginning
in my first posts I made it quite clear that there are people
who will try to abuse the system - that's part of human nature.

When talking about bullying however - I was not referring to
a "one of," conflict scenario at work, or elsewhere.

Tony Mellington a health psychologist who's been utilised by WorkSafe Victoria under the Occupational Health and Safety Act defines
bullying as:

1) Repeated, unreasonable, behaviour toward an employee or group of
employees that creates a risk to health and safety.

2) It is enduring and repetitive in nature.

3) Inappropriate and aggressive.

3) Results in physical or psychological distress.

This is the behaviour that is a serious problem that most of us feel
needs to be addressed and should not be brushed aside. However you don't have to take my word for it simple do a bit of research and Google the information for yourself. There's also sites that list steps in how to handle ordinary conflicts at work that may be helpful - seeing as you're interested in that subject.

A Mananger needs good communication skills and be able to establish healthy boundaries at work. They can be professional and be emphatic and compassionate towards your employees, without crossing the line of becoming their friend. Employees can change their attitude toward their job - it's
all about how they view the situation they're in - and what's fair.

I remember the old joke about a man who worked cleaning toilets at the famous Carnegie Hall in New York. One day a patron asked him -
"You seem intelligent, and you told me the last time I was here that
you've been cleaning these toilets for twenty years. Why don't you get a better job?"

The cleaner smiled, and politely answered, "What, and give up show business?"
Posted by Lexi, Thursday, 28 July 2011 12:06:47 PM
Lexi:"neither qualify as bullying"

From the Know Bull site:
"Amending/adding work tasks that aren’t covered in your job description"

"Ridicule"

It appears they are, according to our awareness-raising friends.

As for what the thread is about, right from the very beginning I made it clear that it was about the broadening of definitions. I started the thread, remember?

See "Theft of ‘credit’ i.e. where the bully takes credit for the work of another".

This broadening of definitions stuff is pretty cool, actually, don't you think?

You're such a bully and neither of us knew it! I'll bet if I look back, I can find lots more bullying behaviours from you and the "gang of three". Want to take me on? How many do you reckon I can get?

It's good to se you've come around to the idea that this is a mangement issue primarily. It's only taken about 3 or 4 days, so we're getting better at this communication thing between us.
Posted by Antiseptic, Thursday, 28 July 2011 12:31:18 PM
Anti
"I suggest to you that under the pressure of dealines and so on many people become stressed and lose the social niceties. Normal people, normal behaviour."

I think that is true to an extent and overall people have to be given some leeway where the behaviour is not consistent or overt. This is where social skills come into play, maybe approach the person and say "...you seem to be under some pressure, is there anything I can do to help" as appropriate.

It is important to 'pick your fights'. Much of this is relative, to some people an event might be trivial to others not. In my experience bullies don't target people who stand up for themselves.

The real issue is what should be done about legitimate and serious bullying behaviours? It is not a bad thing that there are now official bodies to deal with these complaints and maybe the reality is in that earnest desire to investigate serious cases, some time will be spent on time-wasters.

The case to which KerryAnne referred about the employee suing her boss because SHE chose to have sex on a work trip beggars belief and it is those sort of cases that make a mockery of these preventative systems sometimes (although this case was not actually about bulying per se) but that does not negate the need for them.

The dangers in becoming too oversensitive, or defining bullying behaviours so broadly (and not in context) means that serious claims of bullying might slip under the radar. In some cases the trivial claims may put legitimate complainants off the process altogether. It happens in other scenarios where people are afraid of not being believed (many men and women don't report rape) and it is entirely possible the same might occur with bullying.

However on balance, it is better there is an avenue of complaint than not, but perhaps there needs to be discussions with would-be complainants early on to advise on their claims and to determine if it is appropriate to continue.
Posted by pelican, Thursday, 28 July 2011 12:40:44 PM
Dear Pelly,

Well reasoned. A pleasure to read.
You've said it all.
See you on another thread
Posted by Lexi, Thursday, 28 July 2011 4:38:28 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12