The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Bullying?

Bullying?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 18
  7. 19
  8. 20
  9. Page 21
  10. 22
  11. 23
  12. 24
  13. 25
  14. 26
  15. All
Lexi, thanks for that. a bit light on detail, though.

From Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workplace_bullying

"In terms of gender, the Workplace Bullying Institute (2007)[6] states that women appear to be at greater risk of becoming a bullying target, as 57% of those who reported being targeted for abuse were women. Men are more likely to participate in aggressive bullying behavior (60%), however when the bully is a woman her target is more likely to be a woman as well (71%).[7]"

I stand corrected, although it's interesting that female bullies tend to choose female targets, or at least, that female targets claim this to be the case.

It also made mention of something Suze might be interested in

"Bullying has been identified as being particularly prevalent in the nursing profession although the reasons are not clear. It is thought that relational aggression (psychological aspects of bullying such as gossipping and intimidation) are relevant. Relational aggression has been studied amongst girls but not so much amongst adult women.[19][20]"

Which sounds very familiar from our experiences here. It's all about trying to play to the crowd that you want to belong to.

R0bert, the page in question has been regularly amended over the past couple of days, removing lots of silly stuff that was put up there in the initial rush of blood. Perhaps some cooler heads have prevailed. I've not heard anything more via email since I responded last, advising all concerned to pull their heads in and start acting more responsibly.

We'll see.
Posted by Antiseptic, Thursday, 11 August 2011 4:44:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
An interesting article on the subject

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/career_and_jobs/appointments/article6447287.ece

"Julie Morris at Russell, Jones & Walker, the law firm, said that men and women exhibit different bullying styles. “Female bullying can be a bit more subtle, whereas male bullies throw their weight around without really being aware of their actions,” she said. "

If true, that suggests that female bullying is deliberately used as a tactic, while male bullying emerges from the drive to get a job done. I'm not sure if that's accurate, but it's an interesting idea.

and

", Witheridge believes that the figures can largely be explained by the fact that most bullies tend to be managers and that most managers tend to be men. When women are in positions of authority it is often in female-dominated professions, which could mean that women bullies target women simply because that’s who is at hand.

“It reflects the make-up of the workforce, not a deliberate choice by women to pick on other women.” What’s important is not worrying about the sex of the people doing the bullying but how it can be stopped, said Witheridge."

It is important to focus on gender if the two genders bully for different reasons.
Posted by Antiseptic, Thursday, 11 August 2011 4:49:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear RObert,

Thanks for your links. Frankly I don't understand
what they're all about. They're beyond me totally.

Dear Antiseptic,

Sorry about the lack of detail in the links I provided,
best I could do as I was in a hurry. Anyway you're right.
We should look at what motivates people to
become bullies. Although I'm not sure if its a gender
thing. As both genders seem to be equally motivated.
Perhaps its more of a personality trait? Interesting
subject though and Thanks for raising it.
Posted by Lexi, Thursday, 11 August 2011 12:53:01 PM
Sometimes it is best to just leave things alone.
And sometimes it just can not be done.
This post is my view no one else's and it ends or me the discussion.
Shortly after I came to OLO PALE people against live exports and others including me came in to conflict.
Two threads named car parks, as in lets take it out to the car park took place.
One before I came here, or I may have just missed it.
I soon noted in my view one person seemed to be the power in that group.
I was both crawled to taunted abused and sneered at.
The intervention in to my life took place then.
An inquiring mind open but inquisitive will soon find the exact DNA threats cuddles inferences of wealth power including a law firm , in the posts of our most recent visitor.
I will go no further.
Do not fear for me I will be ok but we must confront its not the first or last time we will be confronted with needless lust for control.
Thanks RObert but I will not revisit that site too many pot holes there.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 11 August 2011 6:04:35 PM
Lexi:"We should look at what motivates people to
become bullies."

I think that's already being done to a large extent. the question I find more interesting is "what motivates people to claim to be victims?" especially those people who anybody else would say was not a victim at all.

Further, I'm interested in the way that people seem to have become increasingly inept at the art of negotiation and conflict resolution. It seems to me that a great deal of the issue around bullying is specifically to do with the fact that the "victim" is unable or unwilling to resolve matters with the "perpetrator" without calling in a third party. It has little to do with "power" and everything to do with lack of skill and lack of willingness to be flexible, often on both sides.

It may also have to do with the sense of entitlement that pervades our society. As I said earlier, if you're used to always getting your own way throughout life and someone suddenly says "no", it's much easier to claim that person is somehow deficient than to readjust your own calibration. I think that last is quite a significant factor. It's not a huge leap from "hands off" in the schoolyard to "you can't tell me what to do" at work. Coping mechanisms develop through training. If the training is absent, so is the coping.
Posted by Antiseptic, Friday, 12 August 2011 6:30:23 AM
Lexi, your welcome.

Belly I'd not post there for the world.

Antiseptic, like most thinsg it's a mix. Some don't have sufficient negotiation skill's and I suspect that's a mic of nurture and nature. On the other hand some are so fixed in their ways that negotiation with them does not work (especially when they are in a position of power).

I've been thinking about this for a bit, in the years I've worked I've only had one boss who I'd consider a genuine bully (I'm inclined to use other works but I don't have the qualifications to make that assessment). He used all sorts of tactics to get benefits for himself at the expense of others or the organisation and was a master at setting people against each other. Also had some serious protection from further up the company, the assumption was that he had the good's on the district manager. I've had a couple of others with poor management/people skill's who were not good to work with but I don't think that they were bullies.

I've also not seen any genuine bullying amongst co-workers. Sometimes difficult people but none which looked like genuine bullying. Maybe I've been fortunate in those I've worked with.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Friday, 12 August 2011 7:46:38 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 18
  7. 19
  8. 20
  9. Page 21
  10. 22
  11. 23
  12. 24