The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What do you think should be done about 'breeding pure breeds to death' for cosmetics?

What do you think should be done about 'breeding pure breeds to death' for cosmetics?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. Page 19
  10. 20
  11. 21
  12. 22
  13. 23
  14. All
Oh Forrest I did read the conversation you had with Bronwyn about that word, I’m sure I popped in at the time saying I didn’t really have a problem with it. Shockingly it is in common use in my household as my Nordic looking daughter insists she is gangsta along with all her old brown skinned hommies from Godzone.

It wasn’t on purpose but I am glad it gave you a laugh.

That corner must be filling up, keep a space free for me
Posted by The Pied Piper, Monday, 21 September 2009 10:26:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Forrest

Looking at some of the ways you've described me recently, I think you're misjudging me.

'authoritarian side to her persona'
'Mother Superior'
'hauteur'
'linguistic puritanical zeal'
'English teacher'

You're painting me as some sort of elitist speech zealot, which I'm not at all. For all the posting I do on OLO, I don't often criticise people's choice of terminology. I'm much more likely to engage with the ideas they've expressed.

In all my exchanges with you, I've picked you up on terminology twice (that I remember), not because I'm some 'Mother Superior' figure, but because they're terms that cause offence to others, not to me personally, but to marginalised minority groups. It's an issue of fairness, not language snobbery, as you're attempting to imply.

The term 'n.igger' offends most black-skinned people, so why continue to use it, knowing it gives offence? The term 'illegals', as applied to asylum seekers, demeans an already vulnerable group and is just plain wrong anyway, as it's not illegal to seek asylum. Both of these terms, in my view, play to dog-whistling politics, and I'm surprised you'd bother to defend them.

I agree, the tone of my posts to you in Foxy's 'Tribal past' thread may not have come across as I intended. I admire you very much as a poster, which you should know by now, so that even as I admonish you sternly I always do it with respect and affection. :) I assumed that came through, but maybe I needed more smilies and exclamation marks.

BTW, I'm not an English teacher. I'm a lowly generalist primary teacher, and a casual part-timer at that.

Dear PP

The only reason I picked you up was that I felt you were being unnecessarily harsh towards a poster I hold in high regard and who I felt was undeserving of the quip in question.

Don't stay in the corner too long, as enticing as Forrest's company might be! OLO needs you both. :)

BTW, I've had my turn in the corner too and if I was truly 'Mother Superior' that just wouldn't happen!
Posted by Bronwyn, Monday, 21 September 2009 11:48:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey Bronwyn, can you explain yourself a little more to Forest and Piper? I really didn't know you were so sensitive mum. You're more delicate than examinator.

I suppose that's when OLO is at it's second best. The hatred and bile like on the gender blogs cant be beat, but this kind of soap opera action comes a close second.
Posted by Houellebecq, Monday, 21 September 2009 2:26:02 PM
Houellebecq

<< Hey Bronwyn, can you explain yourself a little more to Forest and Piper? >>

Is that all you can pick me up on? That snide little comment wasn't worth the effort of posting. Now, how about you get back to the work your employer's paying you to do?

<< I really didn't know you were so sensitive mum. >>

For starters, I'm not your mum. I doubt very much I'd be old enough and besides no son of mine would treat people with the contempt and arrogance that you do. I'm not overly sensitive either. I can take what I dish out. I respect Forrest and felt I owed him an explanation, that's all. I certainly don't feel compelled to explain myself in any depth to you.

Besides, Forrest sees in me a candidate for membership of his Diatribe, so I know he won't worry about the lengthy explanation. :) (smile directed towards Forrest, not you).

To think I made an extra post to apologise to you the other day for not having addressed you by name. Why do I bother?
Posted by Bronwyn, Monday, 21 September 2009 2:54:54 PM
Houel you sod right off, Bronwyn is my mothers little sisters adoptive daughters child raised by a South African family after her father went missing in a blizzard as he was looking for baculum to scrimshaw, as was his hobby, and her mother on hearing the news feinted dead away, backward out a third story window, and landed on a small terrier and they both went in to a coma.

Her mother is still in hospital with the little dog in a bed next to her. Animal Rights groups have tried to get the terrier moved to a vet hospital where the service would be better but each time they try to move it Bronwyn’s mother goes in to cardiac arrest. The African family that raised Bronwyn never told her as they didn’t want to confuse her.

Unbeknownst to Forrest him and Bronwyn actually share the same father as once Forrest’s mum was holidaying in Alaska and was attacked by a Polar bear when along came Great White Dick Hunter (Inuit name) – the bear fled screaming in terror having heard through the grapevine what he was looking for.

Forrest’s mum never found out his real name but was so impressed that just by his piercing gaze he could scare the huge beast away she immediately slept with him. What no one knows is because of a blood disorder Great White Dick Hunter is still alive and has been trapped in a huge block of ice for over 50 years now.

What the stupid bears don’t know is that if they keep pissing on it he’ll be back.

Forrest, Bronwyn... your Father’s name is Richard Hunter. Bronwyn honey, you are white and your father will soon be free – yes like Nelson. Forrest your mother always wished you to travel to Alaska and learn the secrets of “the piercing gaze” – go Forrest your father needs you... pack some wet wipes.
Posted by The Pied Piper, Monday, 21 September 2009 3:04:55 PM
'That snide little comment wasn't worth the effort of posting. '

Oh it was worth that effort and much much more considering much how I enjoyed your response!

Whoops, sorry that I didn't address that to you Bronny.
Posted by Houellebecq, Monday, 21 September 2009 3:15:11 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. Page 19
  10. 20
  11. 21
  12. 22