The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What do you think should be done about 'breeding pure breeds to death' for cosmetics?

What do you think should be done about 'breeding pure breeds to death' for cosmetics?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 21
  8. 22
  9. 23
  10. All
The other night on TV there was a special from the BBC about how We (humans) are breeding our 'pure breeds' to death.
They highlighted a few breeds that are being inbred to 'to breed to a standard'. This often meant grandfather to granddaughter, son to mother etc. The result to this is that they're breeding in genetic faults. In increasing cases breeding dogs to die prematurely and in excruciating pain or crippled.
They showed how two dogs that won the world's most prestigious dog show were in fact riddled with genetic faults and were passing them on in breeding....stud fees etc.

In reality many of these standards have changed the breed almost beyond recognition the breed from what it was.
e.g. the ridge on a ridge back is a deformation in the spine.
The head size of Cavs are too small for their brains. The majority of this breed in the UK has the same genetic diversity of less than 200 individuals...in short in the wild they would be considered endangered species.
Short nosed dogs are so short they cant breath properly
German shepherds move sideways drop at the rear patella disorders etc.

Most of these standards are cosmetic and in some cases scientifically untenable.
Common sense dictates that the standards should be changed and set on veterinarian grounds.
The kennel club knows this is afraid they'll lose their power if they alter the standards.. People will simply breed outside the organisation.... This is a logically a specious assertion as it is the prestige that dictates the money flow on price of dogs and stud fees.
The other option is to stop all shows completely.
While these are the extremes and gives an unbalanced picture but these unscientific cosmetic breeding is an increasing reality.
As an ex long time breeders we stopped showing and eventually breeding simply because of the internecine politics that dominate these showing circles.

What do you think should be done ?
Posted by examinator, Saturday, 12 September 2009 2:17:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Examinator,

I came across an interesting article called:
"Man's best friend? How cosmetic breeding is
deforming domestic animals." It can be read in
full at the following website:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/article849130.ece

Some of the things the article suggested could be
done were:

1) A new Animal Welfare Bill.
2) A ban on cutting off puppies tails.
3) Tighter controls of pet shows and the
exotic-animal trade.
4) A new criminal offence of 'likely to cause
unnecessary suffering.'
5) Increased powers for police to investigate
cruelty.
6) Longer sentences and more time for cases to
be brought to court.
7) Prosecution of breeders who produce genetically
defective animals.

However, as the article states:

"Thanks to lobbying campaigns by breed associations and
owner's clubs, every one of these ideas was fiercely
opposed."

It seems that people want to go on cutting
off puppies tails. They're against regulatory control
of pet shows. They don't want increased protection of
imported exotic species - and so on. It seems that
breed associations and owner's clubs are a very strong
economic and political force. Plus, there's a billion
dollar industry associated with pet food, products,
and services as well.

We can only keep our fingers crossed that as the
article states - "New legislation
mey be coming to the rescue of these poor animals -
providing it isn't killed by the country'e all-powerful
pet lobby."
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 12 September 2009 7:49:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Exam:”What do you think should be done ?”

Stop buying them?

No one stopped the cat breeders though.

Oh hey that was like a male vs femnazi statement. If it continues someone is gonna say "cats always get what they want, the courts always hand over their kittens to them, when is anyone going to acknowledge that dogs have feelings too?"
Posted by The Pied Piper, Saturday, 12 September 2009 9:12:20 PM
I watched that show too, examinator, and fought back tears several times. Many of the animals were in obvious pain. Some as you say had breathing problems and some could barely walk. Others were fitting regularly.

The whole dog breeding industry and show dog circuit in the UK looked like one sick freak show. Some of the footage from these top-notch dog shows came across as some sort of black comedy, but unfortunately it was all too real. The dogs and their owners looked totally surreal and farcical. If it wasn't for the cruelty being inflicted on these animals, I'd have laughed it off as self-indulgent irrelevance.

My answer as to what should be done, on the strength of what I saw the other night, would be to ban dog shows completely. They are all about pandering to the vanity of the dogs' owners. There is little or no consideration for the health and well-being of the dogs.

The whole dog-breeding industry needs to be brought under the spotlight. The documentary the other night was a great first step in alerting the public as to what is going on. It mightn't be as bad here as it is in the UK, but we're no doubt heading in the same direction. A strong regulatory regime needs to be introduced and enforced and this out-of-control industry brought to heel.
Posted by Bronwyn, Saturday, 12 September 2009 10:20:51 PM
Dear Examinator,

I didn't see the TV program - but my hudband did.
He was disgusted by it - and feels very strongly
that we need to pass legislation to protect animals
here in this country. That there needs to be tighter
controls on pet shows and so on. As the article
that I quoted in my previous post tells us:

" Any scientist who deliberately produced a monster
like the English bulldog or Chinese shar pei should
risk a firebomb. Only in its premature death does the
experimental rat get a worse death than a family pet.
No research animal in a well-run laboratory will be driven
mad by lack of companionship or sexual frustration; none
will be bred for cosmetic reasons specifically to pass
on genetic deformities that cause illness and pain; none
will be made ill being force-fed the wrong food... none
will suffer surgical mutilation, and none will have any
parts of their bodies removed without anaesthetic...
Britain's pet lovers not only do all these things at whim,
they campaign vigorously for the right to go on doing them..."

That is something that should not be allowed in this country!
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 12 September 2009 10:52:18 PM
“This is something that should not be allowed in this country!”

This sentiment I like. Let’s forget the dogs eh? I saw a similar program (probably same one) years ago now, nothing new to be heard here. Yes the poor little dogs, yes the poor mutated cats. Damn shame about the intensive farming and Yabby knocking off the odd puppy…

Years ago now, my very young children were in bed sleeping like angels and I had some friends over. They were older than me and immersed in politics. Interesting people but that is not my point. As we were chatting a Greenpeace Advert came on the TV in the background. It had just preceded a Save the Children advert. I turned and commented “aren’t the children more important than the damn animals?”. It was explained to me that no, in fact everything is important and some people help the animals and some the children blah blah blah. So I try and support whatever wrongs there are, understanding that people have different focus and no one’s cause should be less than another’s.

Well fuckit. Sorry Exam baby, you are a treasure but I have seen and heard some horrible stuff from the mouths of babes. If I was not the master of mocking everything I do believe I would weep without end. Some things children say or do, I don't hear or see, I feel them.

Can we please demand that children come first in this country before we even glance sideways at the damn animals? You ship your puppies and greyhounds off to be eaten anyways.

As the custodians of Earth isn’t our duty clear? This passion and opinion wasted… Do you all understand that this:

“… often meant grandfather to granddaughter, son to mother etc…”

Humans do this too. Those kids aren't treated as well as your average shepard with hip problems.

To ignore ones offspring in the aid of another species?

I am not clever; I don’t have the words, Please Save Our Children First.
Posted by The Pied Piper, Sunday, 13 September 2009 12:10:21 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 21
  8. 22
  9. 23
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy