The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What do you think should be done about 'breeding pure breeds to death' for cosmetics?

What do you think should be done about 'breeding pure breeds to death' for cosmetics?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 18
  7. 19
  8. 20
  9. Page 21
  10. 22
  11. 23
  12. All
Bronwyn:"I think there's a message for me somewhere in your ice story, but I'm afraid it went right over my head! For me at least, it's as cryptic as the best, or worst, of Forrest's writing. :)"

Hey Bronwyn, no no no completely the opposite. I just wanted to write something light and nonsensical and I thought the dog thing had sort of gone by the by.

Stupid little stories just kind of form in my head. I write them down, I delete them usually... Houel saying "soap opera" was enough to set one off. I have been wondering for awhile now if I'm even normal - hubby says not but then all husbands say that as far as I know.

I must admit there aren't many of Forrests messages that I understand on the first read.

And I think I am still kind of reeling after Fractelle's explanation of her accident over in the rant thread. The visual and everything.
Posted by The Pied Piper, Tuesday, 22 September 2009 4:49:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Fractelle, I appreciate the thought.

>>Pericles Response to my challenge any time soon? Adopt a dog? It will change your life.<<

I have kept pet dogs in the (very distant) past. They were really great company - although I'd stop a long way short of life-changing - but I couldn't lose that constant nagging feeling that they were being horribly exploited, and that I was taking advantage of their situation.

The fact that it would be impossible for me not to become attached to them, is also a disincentive.

So thanks, but no thanks.
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 22 September 2009 5:11:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pericles:"The fact that it would be impossible for me not to become attached to them, is also a disincentive."

Why on Earth would that be so? And why would you feel a dog is being "exploited" by being your companion? Are you unable to provide the slightest quid pro quo for the dog's undemanding and unjudgemental affection?

How sad for you.
Posted by Antiseptic, Tuesday, 22 September 2009 5:47:49 PM
“This fluid model is integrated with a “polynomic” perspective on the Corsican language, which locates linguistic identity in the diversity of socially legitimated usage. Secondly, it suggests a model of intercultural citizenship in which speaking partners make the most out of varying levels of productive and receptive competence in related codes.

"In doing so, the choice of Italian reconfigures what it means to speak Corsican. That is, Corsican is represented not just as the expression of local cultural identity, but as a bridge to participation and interaction with Europe and beyond.”

There – I’ve got that off my chest and serves ya right! What’s with the jabberwonky fellow posters?

Today, I petitioned 233 uni students – Korean, Chinese, American, Kenyan, Sri Lankan, Indian, Somalian and one Orstraylun and the dialogue was fluid .....all were good Englishers! However, on my return to OLO I see posters talkin’ in tongues! Is this some sort of conspiracy against Protagoras? Are youse goin’ behind me back agin!? Why doncha talk Orstraylun….. can’t ya?

PS: I got one knockback today and guess who that was? Bloody Orstraylun that's who...... a----sehole!
Posted by Protagoras, Tuesday, 22 September 2009 6:33:49 PM
Pericles

Thank you for your honest and gracious reply. I will not pressure you again.

What you have achieved for me personally (I cannot speak for others) is that I now consider the animal racing industry to be unequivocally a master/slave relationship. I also have no doubt that some pet owners fit into that scenario as well - but not all, and not the majority (I hope). Breeders might want to begin improving the standards and conditions for the animals from which they make their income - more public outcry needed here. I suppose we are not going to hear from Examinator about his submission.

Despite the topic not following the topic as Examinator would have wanted, I believe that a great deal has been aired and discussed and we can never talk about the wellbeing and care of animals (including humans) too much or too often.
Posted by Fractelle, Wednesday, 23 September 2009 9:53:48 AM
Pericles,

You still refuse to look at the second question and therefore intended context. You were part of the irrelevance.

Bronwyn
Me poor? hmmmm "driven" (?) to rant (?)hmmmm? *I* don't think so. A rant is an irrational selfish out burst. While I can concede I was trying to get the topic back on the rails the irrational bit flummoxes me.

H.
Don't kid yourself that your infantile behaviour had (Or could ever have) any measurable effect on me.
BTW excellent suggestion you made in the articles area about general posters writing a better one...I await your efforts with measured anticipation....or were those words as usual, full of BS.

Forrest
You can do better that the lame offering of grinding up dogs for cosmetics. I have come to expect more wit than that from you.

All
as for my alleged personal hypersensitivity paraphrasing Mark Twain said "Rumours of such are greatly exaggerated.
Posted by examinator, Wednesday, 23 September 2009 2:05:20 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 18
  7. 19
  8. 20
  9. Page 21
  10. 22
  11. 23
  12. All