The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Sport and sex scandals

Sport and sex scandals

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 28
  7. 29
  8. 30
  9. Page 31
  10. 32
  11. 33
  12. 34
  13. ...
  14. 59
  15. 60
  16. 61
  17. All
This was nothing short of a “gang bang”, in fact if I had to describe one (oh I think I did earlier) that is exactly how one looks Pynchme. Thank you for the links.

ASymeonakis, do we know if the “ugly one” is getting counseling? Compensation? Poor bugger.

If a group of rock climbers got together and acted like this repeatedly over time it would call attention and they would be viewed with suspicion. But if the team was admired by the public for their climbing skills and lots and lots of good ol’ Aussie blokes supported EVERYTHING they did – they would just keep on doing it.

Wouldn’t matter what their mummy’s taught them growing up, being one of the team “gang” and that pressure takes over.

The only way to keep a conversation going, and online that is important, is to debate something. I think over time it gets to be impulse to argue like on a debate team, you might not agree but you get in there and back one side anyway. I think you boys understand this stuff but don’t let that get in the way of a nice long discussion.

Your NRL (what is AFL?) boys are badly behaved, always have been.

Did anyone see on the news the other night about how they get lessons in treating people?

One young dude of whichever team goes “yeah they should have thanked her and put her in a taxi”. I cracked up laughing, much better than the feeling of horror that was about to take over my emotions.
Posted by Jewely, Friday, 22 May 2009 8:59:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The bottom line in this is that a wave of bad behaviour has steadily built up over a period of time in the ARL fraternity and it finally preyed upon a person who at least partly didn't want or deserve it. Because she had the balls to stand up to it, she received support from others who wanted to help her. To that extent, what's happened is completely fair enough.

Now that the ARL have received a reciprocal bollicking in kind, the worst offenders and their supporters are squealing like stuck pigs. I've got to say that Matthew Johns has handled himself pretty well in the episode but maybe only because he's seen up close what effect it's had on his own wife. There's another problem exposed - people often only take things seriously when it affects them - they don't in the first instance worry about the effect on the other party. So many problems could be averted if they did.

The problem with the open-ended frolics that go on in the ARL and elsewhere, is that the only way it'll ever stop is when someone or something stops it. This is now happening as sponsors see that their once rock-solid investment in the ARL is looking shaky. Once the shake-out is completed and the dust clears, the law may have a role in punishing some of the most incalcitrant or nasty offenders that emerge.

May the process continue.
Posted by RobP, Friday, 22 May 2009 10:04:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jewely, the point about the rock-climbing example was that it is a risky activity that sometimes has bad outcomes. In other words it is analogous to the "sport" that some women have with footballers and other groups of men.

As Miranda Devine said, "the Johns case is a beachhead in the war against masculinity, waged by those who think the only difference between men and women is cultural."

Yes, footballers have always behaved badly - young men often do, yet there is no shortage of young (and older) women willing to participate in their bad behaviour. Are those women all under the fiendish mind-control influence of these often rather dimwitted young men? Don't girls talk to each other? My guess is that they do and what they say is "footballers have great bodies and simple minds and love sex, so if you want a great shag, find a footballer", which sort of gives the lie to the whole "footballers are all sexually deviant thugs" thing.
Posted by Antiseptic, Friday, 22 May 2009 10:19:34 AM
Hmm... I must confess to not knowing a lot about females. I am very much a mummy and housewife and my passion is caring for children so you would think me all sugar and spice.

Thing is, grew up helping on relatives farms. Left home at 17 years old and was flatting in a large house with 8 men (19 – 28 years old) and the only female there. When not at home with “those” men (big mix) I hung out with bikers (they had Harleys and bantams etc) wore leathers, they were a gang even if they called themselves a MC.

I was so entrenched in men that I did have a huge amount of control, I could see the girls that wondered in and out had none. I never heard the “girl talk”. But I was witness to how men treat them, what they do to them.

Even young I had mummy status, I looked after them, fed them, give them a sound telling off and they found me funny, I joked a lot and they liked me telling jokes. This meant I had complete protection from other males. But yes, gawd some of them were stupid and if really dumb the other men would treat them quite badly.

This is a group of big tough men who are mean to others and treat females badly – any with wives and children, wives and kids weren’t invited to the pad.

But no, the females stayed away from me. I got pregnant and would not even acknowledge any of these boys on the street every again.
This was done easily, men in groups are dangerous and no child of mine was going to be allowed near them.

You want to know about the Maori gangs – they go blasting in to another gangs pad… they have their kids around them often… kids get picked up and thrown against walls. Individuals, can be lovely guys.

I wish I could write like some of you people on here, I think my messages would be clearer, without blithering.
Posted by Jewely, Friday, 22 May 2009 10:50:47 AM
Pynchme,

God help us from the blue rinse brigade who think sex is for procreation and enjoyment is a sin. Anything other than the missionary position is socially unacceptable, and foreplay consists of "brace yourself shiela"

We don't burn gays at the stake and unfaithful wives are no longer stoned.

We are supposed to be in an age of tolerance, not of tolerance only for what is deemed socially acceptable by the self proclaimed "moral" minority.

I personally will boycott the footy show until Johns is returned, not because I think he is wonderful, but I am disgusted with the lack of backbone of the program managers.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 22 May 2009 10:53:33 AM
"Ginx
When the girl asked to have sex with the team she said OK to all men except from one man , The UGLY one!" (Quote: Antonios)
_________

Did she now?? The plot thickens...

1) She did nothing of the kind.

2) Now we get to the 3-ring circus:...Antonios, are you seriously suggesting that 'the ugly one' has a legal case because she discriminated against him?!?!?

....okkkkkkk....

I look forward with eager anticipation to that court case!!

'2 posters make claim on behalf of the silent majority'!

Do they? Where? where?

Just the two, Tinks? THAT'S what that comment was designed to show. Just two. Awwww...just two..

Over to you. Little macho muffins.
Posted by Ginx, Friday, 22 May 2009 11:13:32 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 28
  7. 29
  8. 30
  9. Page 31
  10. 32
  11. 33
  12. 34