The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > MADE IN CHINA

MADE IN CHINA

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
This may seem a rather insignificant issue in comparison to some other issues within the spheres of ‘Fair Trade’ and ‘Human Rights’. However, although it may seem relatively unimportant, it affects all of us, and every decision we make daily as consumers makes huge impacts on the lives of people we will never know.

‘Out-sourcing’ is a nice way of describing how western corporations meet the huge supply demands. Put simply, they employ cheap labour overseas to produce the products at a minimal manufacturing cost. Then they export them to western markets with a considerable mark-up price on the item and make a nice, tidy profit.

See below for an example:

http://www.monthlyreview.org/mrzine/templer220807.html

The article above tells you about the life of a Chinese factory worker. From the 12 hour, 7 days a week work regime, to the scanty wages and crowded living conditions, life as a factory worker is less than appealing. They have no paid sick leave, no days off, and are often exposed to highly-toxic chemicals without protection.

Some images showing factory workers:

http://www.mazm.com/2007/09/19/38.toys-manufacture-in-china-25-pics.html

It could be argued that these factory workers are at least making a living, have shelter over their heads, and food in their bellies.

But the issue is not IF the Chinese factory workers are living, but HOW they are living (which is very poorly indeed). Human Rights abuses are everywhere though these factories. And what’s worse is their suffering is inflicted by the western consumerists need to supply all their wants, and their want to have it all and have it cheaper. If there wasn’t the demand, there wouldn’t be the factories, and the Chinese factory workers would be able to establish their own lines of work and lead more productive lives.

And what the heck can we do to help the situation? Easy. When you go shopping for toys or any product, especially in regards to Christmas this year, have a squiz at the label and see if the product has been…

MADE IN CHINA
Posted by SOS student, Thursday, 16 October 2008 11:10:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SOS Student

Many of us are aware of the human rights abuses in China. However, we are also aware of the heinously cruel practices the Chinese perpetrate on billions of animals.

This ancient "civilisation" remains a country of barbarians - a depraved race indeed. Poverty is no excuse for sadism!

Chinese imports are now contaminating Westerners (including their animals) and human and animal deaths in the West have been documented.

Now I shall await the scorn from the bleeding hearts.

In the meantime, have a look at the links I have provided and ask yourself, "If there were no human rights abuses, would I purchase anything made in China anyway?"

The problem we have in Australia, is that one must often travel miles to purchase a product which is not "made in China" but I would say "it's worth it!"

Cheers

http://www.amnation.com/vfr/archives/005463.html

http://www.peta2.com/takecharge/t-chinafur.asp

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-407693/Un-bear-able-Chinas-cruel-animal-Olympics-reach-new-heights.html

http://www.hsus.org/about_us/humane_society_international_hsi/cruelty_issues_around_the_world/dying_for_fur_recent_investigation_shows_cruelty_at_chinese_fur_farms.html
Posted by dickie, Thursday, 16 October 2008 10:40:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why do the animal rights activists at OLO invariably make overtly racist comments?

<< This ancient "civilisation" remains a country of barbarians - a depraved race indeed >>

Cripes.

I can assure you, it does nothing for your cause.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Thursday, 16 October 2008 10:52:26 PM
SOS student

Hello SOS Student.

Well tbo if we dont wake up in Australia soon and MAKE our Government put infustructure back into this country we will be working for a bowl of rice too- and scrambling to get it.

Your corrrect in what you say and of course rember China havent put her prices up as yet- but they will.
I dont think Dickie is trying to be racist at all SOS.

I do understand what cJ is saying however. I hope you never see the footage that Dickie and others like her have to look at everyday.

Then I am sure you would understand her comments and jolly well let loose yourself.
Isnt it funny how these issues are interlinked.

For example if the Australian Government were not in bed with the cruel live animal trade industry then we would not be in such a bad postion.

Its not rocket science after all to work out that we should be the ones with farmers co ops producing powered milk to China NOt sending our cows alive to China!

Same applies throught the industry SOS. Many thngs are made from raw materials such as Animal products- meat Costemics skins bi proucts which small goods are made from.

IMOP I think China and some people in UK will have a lot to do with loans involving the world crash.

Just imagine if later down the track the UN delare USA UK us Assuies war criminals afer Iraq. Sanctions are impossed etc ...

I like your thread and comments and look forward to reading more of your comments when I return from the bush
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Friday, 17 October 2008 5:11:56 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
DEPRAVED RACE? yes, quite true.. just as true as is the statement:

"Australians are a depraved race because they buy the products"

but neither are in fact true because it is not a 'racial' issue it is a values issue.

More accurately "The Chinese government operates on depraved principles of human exploitation" and the Australian public indirectly supports them by buying the products.

I don't see how this is any different from the slave days. Lot's of people benefited from cheaper cotton products because the labor was free.

We are all depraved. "All have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God" says Paul. Depravity is not limited to the Chinese though, it is the universal human condition.

"Do for others as you would have them do for you" said Jesus.

Unfortunately, when people believe that there is no Creator to whom they are accountable, and they also know that life is limited... perhaps they say "Why bother?...get what you can while you can and enjoy it..for tomorrow we die"
Posted by Polycarp, Friday, 17 October 2008 6:06:16 AM
Dear SOS Student,

You've raised some very valid points,
regarding human-rights issues with
products, "Made in China," "Made in
Indonesia," et al.

There is no doubt that Western companies are making
huge profits out of the products produced in these
countries, under appaling conditions. And, we're
stuck with buying them, because often, that's all
that's available.

Take a look at the "Designer" labels in
fashion, just as one example.
Westerners pay hundreds of dollars
for the "name," but look more closely,
and it will
read, "Made in China."

The prices are not reduced
for our markets, despite the "cheap" labour.
Companies are making an enormous profit at
all our expense.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 17 October 2008 12:58:35 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy