The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The NDIS debacle

The NDIS debacle

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 14
  9. 15
  10. 16
  11. All
This is a failure of the bureaucracy not the parliament.
mhaze,
Precisely ! And or but, the majority of bureaucrats are Labor supporting droids ! Easy to see how these abortions of managing were designed to hurt the Conservatives ! As long as Public Servants are required to vote, nothing will improve !
Posted by Indyvidual, Saturday, 8 June 2024 5:23:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"1. Because the failures in the system aren't caused by either party, or more exactly are caused by neither party. This is a failure of the bureaucracy not the parliament."

Great system this democracy, apparently no-ones accountable.
No wonder the Chinese are winning.

"I specifically didn't call for a reappraisal of the NDIS or call for funding cuts or criticise the rationale behind the scheme for two reasons:
- 2. I knew some bozo would use any claim for reappraisal as an excuse to attack the sincerity of those calling for the scheme to be made more efficient."
- Well that's a bit weak isn't it?

If you want the scheme to be more efficient, why not just say that?

The problem here is greedy capitalism, and no constraints on spending.

My solution for this problem, to MASSIVELY CUT COSTS is the same as the solution to buy work boots for job-seekers in the job network system.

Don't give jobseekers a cash voucher to go to the most expensive retailer. The government needs to be it's own retailer and have it's own warehouses full of shoes at cost.

And it also needs its own warehouses full of imported goods suitable for NDIS patients.

i.e $38.50 for a shower chair, not $385.00.

Until we get real, the idiots will indeed piss it all away.

We're paying people $90 hour to watch TV while a single NDIS client sleeps, it probably means 10 normal people have to work a full time job to pay the tax that is used to take care of 1 person.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Sunday, 9 June 2024 2:19:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What would the Chinese do?
They are probably not paying $385 for a shower chair.
They are probably not paying $38.50 either.
They are probably paying $3.85 a unit.

Build big warehouses and fill them full of all the stuff you need.
For crying out loud, doesn't the bloody government ALREADY OWN Australia Post, same day delivery?

If we let idiots run the country, they will run it into the ground.
How do Australians feel about spending 10 billion dollars, to only purchase 1 billion dollars worth of stuff?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Sunday, 9 June 2024 2:49:27 AM
AC,

This is undoubtably going to come as a surprise to you, but China DOESN'T have a scheme like the NDIS.

Why? well:
1. they are not wealthy enough to afford one. A nation being able to expand vast sums to look after its disabled members is something that only truly wealthy nations can do. China isn't one of those.
2. They don't care about their disabled. Sure individuals probably do, but for totalitarian governments like the CCP, people are merely cogs in the machine designed for the benefit of the rulers. If people aren't useful cogs they are discarded.

Hence China doesn't have an NDIS style scheme and never will.

But apologists like AC will ignore that and tell us that, if they did have a scheme (did I mention they don't), then it'd be awesome. It doesn't exist but let's pretend it does and then swoon at how great the CCP is. Struth!

"What would the Chinese do?
They are probably not paying $385 for a shower chair.
They are probably not paying $38.50 either.
They are probably paying $3.85 a unit."

Then AC shows he understands the nature of the NDIS the same way my budgie understand Newton's laws of motion. The NDIS isn't about stuff. That's a small fraction of the scheme. Its about providing personal services. Which, if AC ever gets around to understanding that, he'll tell us the Chinese would do in an awesome manner...if they cared.
Posted by mhaze, Sunday, 9 June 2024 10:33:17 AM
"This is undoubtably going to come as a surprise to you, but China DOESN'T have a scheme like the NDIS."

- What China does with it's disabled is besides the point and irrelevant to the argument I was making.
Are we or are we not talking about costs?

Was your first opening statement not:
"According to the Integrity Chief of the National Disability Insurance Agency ('integrity chief - now there's a misnomer!) 5% of the NDIS budget of $42 billion (yep 'B' billion) is stolen by criminals and rorters of the scheme. That is $2.1 Billion is stolen"?

So 2.1 billion stolen is a problem;
But 5 or 10 billion wasted in overpaying for stuff is perfectly fine?

I don't know what the stats are...
Lets say 75% is labour costs and 25% is buying essential equipment.
- That's still 10 billion plus spent on 'overpriced' 'rorted' essential equipment.

Take a broad view of the problem
What do you want to do, lower labour costs?
Pay the workers less and get a lower standard of care?
- Or alternatively find a way to use your labour more efficiently?

For example don't pay 1 person $90 an hour to watch over 1 NDIS client as they sleep, pay that 1 person $90 an hour to watch over 5 NDIS clients as they sleep, somehow in some kind of purpose built homes that still maintain their standard of care but dramatically reduces labour costs (the need for so many workers)
- If this is the major cost.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Sunday, 9 June 2024 1:23:33 PM
"Then AC shows he understands the nature of the NDIS the same way my budgie understand Newton's laws of motion. The NDIS isn't about stuff. That's a small fraction of the scheme. Its about providing personal services. Which, if AC ever gets around to understanding that, he'll tell us the Chinese would do in an awesome manner...if they cared."

I know enough about it, I have a friend that provides care to NDIS clients, many non-verbal.
Some in the game are getting fat stinking rich ripping people off for overpriced equipment,
Some are getting fat stinking rich managing other disability workers.
Some get paid a lot (self employed service contractors) to take disabled people out on easy outings and watch them while they sleep;
And others (on wages) can get paid little and get the worst clients and are spat on, punched in the face, attacked, bitten, groped and otherwise sexual abused, have to clean up excrement smeared all over walls etc. and are just generally abused on a daily basis, like all these things are just a normal and accepted of the job, apart from the normal duties which include having to change nappies, as well as washing and feed clients, write reports and establish individual care plans etc..
Posted by Armchair Critic, Sunday, 9 June 2024 1:32:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 14
  9. 15
  10. 16
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy