The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is not Allowing Ukraine to join NATO the right decision?

Is not Allowing Ukraine to join NATO the right decision?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 43
  8. 44
  9. 45
  10. All
Ukraine has been told it cannot join NATO while
it's at war with Russia. This happened during the recent
NATO Summit held in Vilnius, Lithuania.

The NATO states
refused to be drawn on giving Ukraine a timeframe for
when it can join NATO. After all of the support that
Ukraine has received to date - Why this decision by
NATO and won't this encourage Putin to continue the
war with Ukraine, if he thinks that Ukraine can't join
NATO until the war ends? Or should NATO have simply
allowed Ukraine to join?

It is understandable that NATO does not want to involve
its states in a war with Russia - but can it continue to
supply armaments to Ukraine and prolong the war? Putin
is not about to concede. Only the Russian people can
influence his decisions. The war equally affects the
Russians - as it does the Ukrainians.

http://bbc.com/news/world-europe-66167616
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 13 July 2023 4:28:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's only a few small questions there that you've asked Foxy, but even just in those few small questions there's a lot to unpack.

Firstly there's rules to joining NATO.
Allowing Ukraine to instantly join would automatically trigger Article 5.
And this means that it would no longer be a proxy war.
Russia and NATO would be directly at war.

NATO has nuclear weapons as does Russia, and the war would continue until one side uses them.
Is that what you want?

You do know that Russia has a nuclear weapon that can take out the whole of France, and will take 3 and a half minutes from launch in Kaliningrad, right?

There wont be a place called the 'United Kingdom' or 'Europe' anymore.
Do you truly understand the gravity of what's at stake here?

http://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/putin-says-russias-new-sarmat-nuclear-missiles-soon-ready-deployment-2023-06-21/

"but can it continue to supply armaments to Ukraine and prolong the war?"
- It cannot supply weapons it doesn't have and the stockpiles are empty, there's nothing more to give.

The reason why they're sending cluster bombs is because they've ran out of 155mm artillery shells.

I'm not even sure that NATO intervention can change the military situation even if it does join the conflict.
- But at that point it probably won't end until one side DOES nuke the other.

And I'm not sure that Americans and Europeans will like seeing their military coming home in coffins at the same rate Ukrainians are dying.
It'll likely be political suicide for all those leaders.

I don't think Europe or America are coming to help, and without a timeline for NATO membership Ukrainian troop morale will be completely in the toilet.
They know they are just being used, and sent to die.

The counter-offensive has been a total failure, as predicted.
Ukraine is being annihilated.

This is the price of US foreign policy and regime changes, they thought the sanctions would work, that it would cause civil unrest and Putin's ousting, and when it didn't they'd locked themselves in to this outcome.

They West was foolish for making war against an adversarial nuclear superpower.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 13 July 2023 9:29:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
[Cont.]
Everyone thinks the Russia started this war when it invaded in 2022.
- But the war started back in 2014 after the western sponsored coup that overthrew the democratically elected leader of Ukraine, Viktor Yanukovych.

Russia may have invaded, but the West itself created the conditions that forced Russia to do so.
- And the West did so on purpose in order to get Russia to enter the conflict.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 13 July 2023 9:38:23 PM
See for yourself what's happening to Ukrainians and their western equipment.
http://twitter.com/innova_center/status/1677591225648521216
Does the Russian military look incompetent to you?
Isn't that what you've been told?

26,000 dead and 1244 tanks and armored vehicles destroyed in a little over a month.
(FYI NATO trained 60,000 for the counter-offensive, that's half dead and the other half seriously wounded)

300 to 350 thousand dead Ukrainians and probably just as many if not more that are too seriously wounded to return to combat, since the beginning of the conflict.
- Many left to rot where they fall, and be eaten to the bone by stray dogs.

Try to imagine the scale of that.
A few hundred dead is a terrible tragedy, now it's just numbers / statistics.
- But no-one listens to me Foxy, so you can go ahead and just keep supporting the continuation of the conflict, as most have done since Russia entered the conflict directly, in 2022.

Putin's not going anywhere, the Russian people largely support him.
If anything, he's gotten a lot of criticism for not going in harder.
- But he wants to avoid direct NATO involvement, and with it the potential for a nuclear exchange.

There's no possibility of a Ukrainian military victory.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Friday, 14 July 2023 12:17:12 AM
Hi Foxy,

ABSOLUTELY! you know my opinion shades of 1914 and WWIII! ALL military alliances are bad. Unbelievably Australia is "involving" itself in this dirty disgusting war! Albanese should be ashamed of himself, a so called Labor man, cow tailing to the American imperialists, I am not a communist, I call it as I see it! I have never done this before, if there was a federal election tomorrow I would put the number "1" against the Green candidate, as long as I was convinced that person was opposed to war as I am, that's all I would do. My vote would be invalid (not numbering all the squares), but I cannot bring myself to vote for anyone Labor or Liberal who ultimately is just another warmonger!
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 14 July 2023 5:26:57 AM
Thanks AC, this bloody war has to stop! That silly old man in the White House, an absolute senile old fool. The alternative Trump! AHhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 14 July 2023 7:35:37 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 43
  8. 44
  9. 45
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy