The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Are The Opposition Parties Dead In The Water?

Are The Opposition Parties Dead In The Water?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All
With one hundred percent of Australians governed federally by Labor, and 98% in the States and territories (not Tasmania), where does this leave the opposition parties, Federally the Liberal/Nationals are disparagingly referred to as the "Noalition", the parties of no policy who can only say "No". In the capital the 'Noalition' an appropriate description, is run by a few survivors of last Mays devastation, headed by in my opinion the worst Opposition leader since Billy Snedden in the 1970's, if you don't remember the forgettable Billy, then Mark Latham for Labor is a contender for the title. Speaking of Latham who now sits in the NSW retirement chamber (Legislative Council) for worn out politicians. The Mark Latham One Nation Party scored less than 2% of the popular vote in NSW on Saturday, and Hanson herself just scrapped in last May for a federal Senate seat in Queensland.

Is there an emerging leader for conservatism in Australia, we don't yet know about, who can rally the troops and take the fight to Labor? Just had a brain snap, thinking maybe its Mark Latham! Open to other suggestions. Possibly Clive Palmer... yes, oh no, is it shades of Joh for Canberra days once more.
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 27 March 2023 4:56:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul, the Public Education system is promoting the Woke ideology where the generation from 18 - 25's are being educated in how to protest and that the earth is facing extinction because of human activity by the public education system, they are the new voters who are being taught by political activists to believe the climate doomsday lies.
Posted by Josephus, Monday, 27 March 2023 10:15:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Opposition parties?

There is one only active opposition party: One Nation. With the Dutton capitulation to Green Labor, Australia is now a virtual one-party-state. The country is now bright red, except for Tasmania, and we never get a squeak from them.

Enslaved, frightened Australians, mostly political illiterates, seem to like it that way.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 27 March 2023 11:07:53 AM
Just wait for the Unions to pull the strings in unison !
Posted by Indyvidual, Monday, 27 March 2023 6:39:30 PM
ttbn,

If you are correct and its been left to One Nation to oppose Labor, rather difficult without any actual members in the lower house, then a vacuum in politics should exist whereby a "charismatic" leader should emerge from right field. I did ask the question;

Is there an emerging leader for conservatism in Australia, we don't yet know about, who can rally the troops and take the fight to Labor?

Such a leader may come through the Liberal Party, or create a "popular uprising" from outside mainstream politics. An example of the former is Trump in America, he was ostensibly an outsider, but was able to use the apparatus of the Republican Party to achieve his goal of becoming President. Could there be a "Donald Trump" somewhere in Australia ready to charge from right field and take up the reins of leadership. In the political class of today I can't see any talent in the opposition front bench at all. Realistically it would be a shock should the conservatives return to government federally at the next election, so there are some years in the wilderness to come, there is time for a true leader to emerge. I would assume that person in now somewhere in the business class.

Bob Hawke was the last Australian Prime Minister to come from outside, although he was well credentialed through the union movement , and not serve an apprenticeship in politic. Hawke took up the leadership in what was then a rather stale Labor Party, with a lacklustre leader in Bill Hayden. Hawke then had very quick success with his consensus (agree with Bob and we have consensus) brand of politics.

Where is the next Bob Hawke, this time for the Liberal Party?
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 28 March 2023 6:25:22 AM
Is there an emerging conservative leader? No/maybe. No for now, but maybe in the future if Alex Antic moves from the Senate to the lower house - and if he is not blocked by the factions.

But, at the moment, and for the foreseeable future, the Liberal Party is finished.

There is no point in talking about a Trump, because the Westminster system doesn't allow for anyone but career politicians to get a look in. I have given my opinion elsewhere on who gets to be nominated by our corrupt political class.

But, as you keep telling me, I am too old to matter, and I don't have to come up with answers. It's all about Millennials now according to your mate SteeleRedux who thinks that are soooo wonderful. They are f…ing it up, they can fix it after my generation is gone.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 28 March 2023 8:32:20 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy