The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > In defence of Muslims > Comments

In defence of Muslims : Comments

By Keysar Trad, published 28/11/2008

The Muslim community is, once again, in the dock, defending itself against a myriad of allegations.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. Page 17
  10. 18
  11. 19
  12. 20
  13. 21
  14. All
"Fess up Pericles.. you are trying deliberately to misrepresent me in the most scurrilous manner."

christ! now it's my keyboard that's drenched.
Posted by bushbasher, Thursday, 11 December 2008 8:53:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is the one that did it for me, bushbasher:

<< your ongoing campaign of misinformation, should stop here and now >>

That coming from Porky, who has posted more lies, half-truths, prevarications and unverified factoids on OLO than anyone I can think of.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Thursday, 11 December 2008 11:33:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Oh Sayang yang ku kasihi.. aku penuh cinta yang manis kepada kau...Aku mau memenuhi segala mimpimu dengan hati yang penuh kasih sayang yang khas dan istimewa untuk mu sahaja. Tiada sesiapapun dalam dunia ini yang ku sayangi seperti kau. Aku memberi hatiku kepada mu sahaja untuk selamalamanya"

"Oh Darling the one that I Luv .. I am full of sweet Luv for you ... I want to fill all your dreams with a heart full of exclusive Luv and affection, extraordinary and other than that which I express to others, for you and you alone. There isn't anyone in this world that I Luv like you. I give my heart to you only for ever and ever." (AmenHotep)

U r a troubled Soul *bOAZy* aren't U?

I say that because it is clearly not appropriate to make such suggestions regarding the relationship of others, but noting the log in my own eye I shall push the chair back so to speak for a moment and let some things slide so to speak.

Regarding the Indonesian, it is from the Western side of Jawa and opposite in domicile to where we are. Secondly, and more importantly, Indo is conjugated also in terms of whom you are speaking to. In your example, there is a predominate formal level of speech mixed with the informal usage of "You" & "I" (usually a no, no.)

Here, one of the ways "we" express intimacy is by using short, informal structure and cohesion, heavy on inference, as you tend to when speaking with someone with whom you are intimately familiar. Of course, this is not a level of speech that they teach at Uni.

Taken in the right way, an understanding of these different levels in one language, and then other mechanisms that achieve the same effect in other languages as spoken today, gives the beginning of an awareness of how wondrous is the mind that can achieve so many different things in so many different ways. 1/2
Posted by DreamOn, Friday, 12 December 2008 4:08:54 AM
2/2

So, malam minggu - night sunday in Indo for the novice is easily confused as being Sunday night, when actually it means Saturday night as the night (malam) is positioned before Sunday, thus Saturday night.
(da da do da do do do do do)

Tolkien being a linguist shows off some of this for us in FellowShip of the Ring, when standing before the walls of Moria:
The Mithral enchanted door illuminates under the moon to reveal the words, "Speak friend & enter" to which Gandalf replies, "Well, if you're a friend u speak the password and the door will open," to no avail.

Frodo, of another tongue tongue asks later when all are disgruntled, "What's the Elvish word for Friend?"
(the Elves enchanted the door for the Dwarves)
thus literally not speak friend
(conjoined)
but rather literally speak the word friend.
(there's probably a bit more to this magic I suspect)

Companion of course in a modern translation of the Bible could be travelling aquaintance or buddy, but in the time of *JC&Mary* as John Langdon points out, it literally meant spouse. ;-)

Why not try some Greek?

The New Peace(JeruSalem):

And *John* was a Jew and into Greek, or was it *John* was a Greek and into Jews?
(and something about persecution)
and then divided by the others unit of measurement .. and flip out to alpha numero:
&
*Soma HeliaKon* - the Star/Solar Body

(Interpretation by Australia's Patron St of Luv Making)
Posted by DreamOn, Friday, 12 December 2008 4:49:57 AM
Aaah Dreamy... one cannot be too pedantic with Indonesian.... specially when the form of address for the beloved would normally be 'adik' to the girl... "my little sister" and reference to self would be 'Abang' or just 'bang' (older brother)(at least in the wayang's it is) Plus.. my Indo is a mixture of Semenanjung Malay and Sarawak Indonesian and 'bahasa wayang gambar'.. If I'm speaking to an Indonesian they say "Oh.. I see you know Malay" and if I speak to a Malay, they say "Oh..I see you know Indonesian" :) go figure.

The first 'challenge' I experienced after I left formal language school in KL and went to Sarawak was when a local said "Kita" pergi mana selepas kebaktian? in which case he mean't "you" but I understood it as meaning 'we/us' and I looked kind of 'huh' ? at him.. From then on I knew that in Sarawak, they use 'Kita' for the Malay "Awak" (you)

Just imagine my struggle when I was invited to be the teacher/speaker at a youth camp in Sabah, just 3 weeks after arriving in Sarawak.. I could barely put a conversation together let alone speak about theological things.

I made 2 notable blunders.

1/ I referred to things I wrote on the blackboard as on the 'tanda hitam'

2/ I spoke to a group of Muruts and used the word "murut" rather than 'murid' for disciple when preaching on Matthew 28:19 "Go into all the world and make 'MURUTS' of all nations" :) errr you can imagine how well that went down.. me saying everyone in the world must become 'them'....

But back to the topic. Oh wait.. I'd rather pick on Bushbasher :)

Bushy.. all you showed there was your bigotry :) now..I challenge you to debate the 9th surah of the Quran, and how it was used by Mohammad, his companions, and how it is applicable to today.
Posted by Polycarp, Friday, 12 December 2008 7:46:50 AM
boaz, let's not and say we did. i have no interest in fueling your nonsense.

shall we give debating biblical verses on slavery a go? i think it'd be meaningless, but presumably you would not.
Posted by bushbasher, Friday, 12 December 2008 8:49:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. Page 17
  10. 18
  11. 19
  12. 20