The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Racism is not simply black and white > Comments

Racism is not simply black and white : Comments

By Ghassan Hage, published 16/6/2006

Discrimination and bias can exist among minority groups too.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. ...
  13. 14
  14. 15
  15. 16
  16. All
It is a sad reality that rascial prejudice is a a quality we all possess, but sadder still is the fact that Australian politicians utilise this for there own electoral advantage.
Posted by Tieran, Monday, 19 June 2006 9:34:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No Rainier, I am not angry at all. Just a bit indignant at your self evident hypocrisy, which I see you did not respond to, or seek to justify.

The people I consider are “Australians” are the ones I choose to recognize. So, how many white people do you recognize as “aboriginal”, Rainier? Tell me, if you claim that the instant an Afghan sticks his big toe on Australian soil, he is just as much an Australian as I am, then since you selectively oppose racism, I would point out that the same logic means that the Afghan is just as much an “aboriginal” as you are.

To be “anti racist”, my dear Rainier, you have to be race blind. Since your position is to only promote the interests of aboriginals, that hardly applies to you.

Your position is a contradiction, Rainier, and I like to amuse myself finding novel ways to point that out.
Posted by redneck, Tuesday, 20 June 2006 4:50:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Ranier :) this is precious.... you telling me I'm a 'white supremacist'.... and then referring to 'your people' ..... Hi5 to Redneck for pointing that out.

Rainer..*shake shake shake*....I'm not 'supremacist' in the QUALITATIVE sense ok, we are no better or worse inherrantly than indigenous people... have u got that message once and for all ?

I'm supremacist in the 'practical' sense.. looking at England, and just about any place you care to name, invaders have come, and the invaded accomodated, intermarried, mixed, were absorbed.
My forefathers on mums side came from KENT,
Here is a brief historical outline of what went on there
http://www.kessler-web.co.uk/History/KingListsBritain/EnglandKent.htm

The same thing has happened to indigenous Australia mate.. sad...but true. Just as it was sad for all the various people overwhelmed by superior force in times gone by in Kent and other places in England.

To be honest, the vibes coming from the indigenous 'industry' of which you seem a vital part, are that there is something exceptionally holy and 'above all else' in Aboriginal culture, somehow more special than every other culture which has been overcome by greater forces and numbers.

It's not racism its REALITY.

Is it more special to be 100% Aboriginal Australian as opposed to a 5% Aboriginal ? How do you value the white or non Aboriginal part of mixed race people ? do you look down on those of mixed race ? Do you have some 'purity criteria' where you assess the worth of a person on the basis of their percentage of Aboriginality ? I'd guess that you yourself are mixed, but of course, I could be wrong.

I've argued in the past for the preservation of as much Indigenous culture and land as possible, but you BITE me everytime I do, so I'm now exploring the alternative. ABSORPTION and ASSIMILATION.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Tuesday, 20 June 2006 5:25:25 AM
coach, "Ultimately, we all want to live in harmony, safety, and peace. But unfortunately this is possible."

Sad that you consider it is unfortunate that it is possible to live in harmony, safety and peace. Also sad that you are doing your bit to try and stop that happening by your continual biased commentary on another faith (and if Islam was not there it would be something else - humanism, new age, buddism etc).

Yes it is possible to live for the most part in harmony, safety and peace but while we have extremism such as yours present it seems unlikely.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 20 June 2006 7:44:57 AM
R0bert,

Sorry misspelling: I meant IMPOSSIBLE and not ‘possible’. So I hope that clarifies my meaning there:

"Ultimately, we all want to live in harmony, safety, and peace. But unfortunately this is IMpossible."

My continual “bias” on Islam is not just a hobby of mine to attack another faith. I made plenty clear that other faiths (and non-faiths) are benign when it comes to political colonialism.

My obsession with Islam is the result of first hand experience, critical observation and study of this one-minded (false) religion with the sole objective to conquer the world for Allah.

I have but pity and compassion for its followers. If my tone is harsh and critical sometimes it’s because I really care for these lost souls. They need to be shaken into reality.

But more importantly I care for Australia in particular. I think we still have a chance to slow down, or contain this malaise before it’s too late
Posted by coach, Tuesday, 20 June 2006 8:38:58 AM
Thanks for a great article Ghassen.

What you have written is very simple, even naive, and it's a pity such simple points need to be made - but they do.
Posted by Nicholas Gruen, Tuesday, 20 June 2006 1:31:18 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. ...