The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Racism is not simply black and white > Comments

Racism is not simply black and white : Comments

By Ghassan Hage, published 16/6/2006

Discrimination and bias can exist among minority groups too.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 14
  9. 15
  10. 16
  11. All
Reacting to the danger of islam is not racism.
All religions are ridculous but Islam is extremely dangerous.
The notion that most Muslims are wonderful except for a few extremists is nonsense.Islam, they will tell you, is a 'way of life" and most Muslims are just a number of degrees away from fanaticism.
Sooner or later the world must be divided between Muslims and non-Muslims and the war of annihilation begun. The sooner the better while we have the technological advantage.
Fundamentalist christians are a pain in the arse, fundamentalist Jews are lunatics, but the Jihadi Muslims will slaughter all before them. Wake up you fat fools.
Posted by citizen, Friday, 16 June 2006 2:33:58 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ghassan argues that "... the state of anti-Muslim animosity that is being legitimised and routinised is such that it is not far-fetched to imagine ourselves engaging in the racist mass incarceration or even extermination of Muslims on the grounds that they are racists"

Citizen, you did not have to go to such lengths to prove him right.
Posted by Rhian, Friday, 16 June 2006 3:35:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Is there any nation in this world that is NOT racist to some degree.
Most people think their own culture is superior,even cannibals had their pride.
It is when certain cultures immigrate to another totally different culture then try to override the host ,that the sparks fly.
The host country can say,if your home was so damned good why did you leave it? Why don't you get back there ASAP!
In Australia we are gradually throwing off the culture cringe and realising that we have been fed a lot of bull.... about our culture and other cultures.Mainly by the lordly Left.
Is Abu Bashir Bakir racist?Or is he a gentle man who is simply giving advice out of the goodness of his heart?
ALL Australians should swear allegiance to Australia and Australia alone or leave.
Posted by mickijo, Friday, 16 June 2006 3:36:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Figures do not support the perception that Australians are overtly racist. In their book How Australia Compares, authors Tiffen and Gittins present the figures gathered in a 1990s survey on the sorts of people who were not desired as neighbours. Responses and percentages were: drug addicts 74, heavy drinkers 60, people with a criminal record 45, emotionally unstable 38, and immigrants and people from a different race 5. Fancy that! Only 5 per cent of Australians objected to living next door to people of another race. Some of the countries who express disquiet about having different races as next door neighbours were Austria and Belgium 20 per cent, Japan 17 per cent, France, Italy and Germany 13 per cent.
Posted by Sage, Friday, 16 June 2006 3:40:33 PM
I was a "white" anti-racist until I read Ghassan Hage's books. I've been trying to understand and appreciate the puzzling thinking of my fellow "white" Australians' ever since. So are a lot of other "lily whites".

It's not easy and it's not made any easier when people assume that an anti-racist is automatically a bad Australian or stupid. That's as bad as anti-racists assuming the same thing of the other side.

The saddest thing about these divisions is that we've come to focus on them and define one another in these terms - left/right, racist/anti-racist, cosmopolitan/parochial. We tend to forget what we have in common. In a roundabout way, when we allow ourselves to be divided over these issues we're more vulnerable to the things people fear, on both sides of the fence.
Posted by chainsmoker, Friday, 16 June 2006 4:42:38 PM
It's easy to be against racism. Much harder to recognise it in yourself and deal with it. I call myself a non-racist. In truth, I am sometimes instinctively, involuntarily uncomfortable around people of other races and have to use rational thinking to overcome it. At other times I find myslef adopting a superior, condescending tone towards people of a different skin colour and culture, and have to be vigilant to prevent it. I don't know why - growing up in a white supremacist society in the 1950s with aboriginal squalor and deprivation in full view, probably. I know that no race is superior to any other - it's all about power, who has it, and how it is used.

At least my daughter, growing up in a racially mixed school, is demonstrably free of these attitudes.
Posted by PK, Friday, 16 June 2006 5:00:42 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 14
  9. 15
  10. 16
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy