The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > An open letter to the Prime Minister from Australia’s secular parents > Comments

An open letter to the Prime Minister from Australia’s secular parents : Comments

By The Australian Secular Lobby, published 5/7/2010

There should be a wall of separation between the religious proselytising ambitions of church recruiters and our children.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13
  13. All
RichAl.. how does that 'wall' work when chaplains 'coach' school sporting teams, pray (prey) upon the entire school assembly and events, accompany the children on all school excursions and camps, enjoy 'access all areas' every day, wandering in and out of any classroom they choose and even chair student committees? There's nowhere to hide.. there is no choice.. there is no 'freedom from religion' in chaplain-infested state schools. Regardless of parents' wishes, kids are either exposed to the third-world missionary tactics of these extremist fruitcakes or miss-out on what were once school activities for all. You must be kidding.
Posted by DeepNortherner, Monday, 5 July 2010 5:49:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
@ Shadyoasis (Monday, 5 July 2010 10:38:44 AM)

I don't think an open letter like that should appeal to the incoming PM's "worldview", nor should it appeal to the incoming PM's authority. The letter is a bit preachy, and waffly. The sentiment is good, although could also address councillors.

@ TheBlueCross - of course counsellors don't have to personally be secular, but their behaviour in schools should be, including seeking appropriate religious guidance where requested. The whole chaplaincy thing implies a special holier-than-thou authority.

$42-50 million pa is not cheap.

Runner - your dogma is the worst emphasis or deceit or both. What is the single most paedophillic organisation in the media at present?

ALGOREisRICH - "just SAY so and it's a done deal" is not easy for many.

Parables are one thing, Dogma is another.
Posted by McReal, Monday, 5 July 2010 7:03:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Separation of church and state should mean separation. If an organisation has GOD hung around their neck they must be excluded from government organisations. I have no issue with these organisations existing freely within the society ( only because i believe in free speech ), but stop knocking on my door with your weak baseless rubbish and expecting love. If i told you the world was flat and offered a work of fiction to prove it i would be laughed off this page so stop selling religion with a novel and the faith line. I had this rubbish shoved down my throat as a child and will never forget the hypocrites that fed it to me. These wonderful people were there to be forgiven for all the horrid things they had done all week.
All religion is the same, and for those who seem to think that the Muslims are so bad see how you feel after the US bombs your cites non stop for months on end. Oh and what the hell were the IRA and Ulster Unionists doing for all those years, making christian harmony. I am sure that many of you can put together a long list of links to prove or disprove this but history shows both christian and muslim are to blame for the ongoing stupidity and i for one hold them both accountable. They have both brainwashed, oppressed, condemned, Raped, robbed and generally lied to their faithful with what would appear to be little consequence. If any organisation had the wide spread and endemic problem of pedophilia that the Catholic church has had for over 50 years (that is currently documented), it would be destroyed and all their wealth distributed to the victims as proceeds of crime. I see nothing different for islam either. as I said, I believe in free speech so can't support destroying their right to exist, just the assumption that they should have some special right to pollut the children of their communities with paranoid brainwashing.
Posted by nairbe, Monday, 5 July 2010 7:16:50 PM
nairbo writes

'If i told you the world was flat and offered a work of fiction to prove it i would be laughed off this page so stop selling religion with a novel and the faith line.'

That's exactly the preachers of the evolution myth do. Only those willing to distort and twist the obvious deny this.
Posted by runner, Monday, 5 July 2010 9:26:35 PM
Alright, runner. I'll be the first to put up my hand and say that I am "willing to distort and twist the obvious" and deny that evolutionists "told you the world was flat and offered a work of fiction to prove it".

What work of fiction do they use? They use a range of scientific evidence to support a constantly-evolving theory about the origin and transformation of a diverse range of species on our planet. Or that was my understanding, anyway.
Posted by Otokonoko, Monday, 5 July 2010 10:12:32 PM
The latest utterances from Catch The Fire Ministry, the sort of Christian that supports the Coalition, and that Jim Wallace said voted for Rudd in 2007.

Let's see what Danny has to say in his latest epistle:

"At the other end of the scale, we have Julia Gillard who is openly anti-God, Pro-Abortion, Pro-Homosexuality, wants Christian Chaplains out of schools, refused to take the oath on the bible and the list goes on. She will also most probably pass the carbon emission treaty and pass laws to stop Christian evangelism (Bill of Rights). She is currently living in blatant sin, as she is not married but living with her partner. What a terrible role model for the next generation. I am shocked that we have a PM who would possibly move into the lodge with her partner. Possibly this has never happened in the history of Australia.... I think this gives us a clear cut mandate as to whom we should vote for...[with] the Coalition government we would achieve much more in order to protect our Judeo-Christian Heritage.... If you still say ‘I will vote Labor’ that is your choice. That’s the freedom we enjoy in a democracy, but I must say you definitely cannot be a Christian who has a proper relationship with Jesus if you vote this way."

Danny decides, like Runner and Al Gore, who is a 'real Christian' and who is a fake one.

Dangerous stuff, and rather sad and pathetic.

I am not as certain as Danny is that Gillard will rid our schools of the toxic chaplains, but maybe he has had another 'vision' and knows something we don't?

If we are going to allow religion tax a tax free ride, perhaps they should stop operating as a political lobby group, and telling punters how to vote?
Posted by The Blue Cross, Tuesday, 6 July 2010 10:49:42 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13