The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Do you need to come out

Do you need to come out

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. 15
  10. All
In a heartfelt video released by Australian football team Adelaide United, mid-field player, Josh Cavallo, has come out as gay, reports ABC News. His announcement makes him the first A-League player to publicly come out while still active within the league.

In the video, the 21-year-old proudly states, “I am a footballer, and I’m gay,” going on to say that, “It’s been a journey to get to this point in my life, but I couldn’t be happier with my decision to come out.”

Do you need to come out "admitting" you are gay? By all means talk about it with your family, but Is it really anyone elses business? Lots of people are different to others and I don't need to know about their circumstances or is it all about free choice here and the right to speak out about about something you feel strongly about?
Posted by NathanJ, Thursday, 28 October 2021 11:29:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Nathan,

I watched this young man speaking on television and he
seemed so relieved that he had "come out." So very happy.
He could not help smiling. He appeared so joyful, as if
something heavy had been lifted from his shoulders.
All I could do is be happy for him.

I guess it is a personal choice to be made for whatever
reason and we can't really speak for someone else and how
they feel and what they have had to endure in their lives.
I feel that it is a brave decision to make - even in
today's supposedly more "tolerant" society. Because not all
people will look at him in the same way now. But who cares?
He has to do what he feels is right for him. Not for anyone
else.

Luckily for this young lad - he has the full support of his
family, friends and colleagues. Not everyone does. And I'm sure
that helped him make his decision.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 28 October 2021 2:18:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Who cares. They can come out, in, sideaways - whatever; they are not of particular interest to anyone except themselves and their family and friends. They can do as they wish. What they cannot do is expect other people to care about their peculiarities, approve of them, or gush every time one of them thinks we all want to know that they are queer.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 28 October 2021 2:50:00 PM
Dear Nathan,

Certainly, your sexual inclination is quite an unimportant detail and nobody else's concern. One ought never make a big deal about it.

I heard the interview on the radio.
The idiotic interviewer exclaimed (I don't remember the exact words): "finally you are able to be and show everyone who you are".

Well, your sexual inclinations have nothing, absolutely zero, zilch, to do with who you are. They could be properties of your body, of your brain, of your hormones, perhaps even of your mind, or any combination of the above, BUT these would only be YOUR body, YOUR brain, YOUR hormones, YOUR mind, thus have nothing to do with your own identity, you, the one who HAS this body, this brain, these hormones, this mind, etc.

By propagating that untruth, as if sexual inclinations had anything to do with one's identity, the interviewer was seeding unnecessary misery in their younger listeners.

---

Dear Foxy,

If you are after relief, then why not shoot yourself in the foot, then what relief you will feel after long months of rehabilitation once you can walk again!

Fussing about one's sexual inclinations is like shooting oneself in the foot. Had Josh Cavallo not paid such significance to his inclinations, then he would not be in need of relief to begin with.

I am also happy for him, but I would be even happier if he was never disturbed by his sexual inclinations to begin with.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 28 October 2021 3:12:54 PM
Yuyutsu,

<<Fussing about one's sexual inclinations is like shooting oneself in the foot. Had Josh Cavallo not paid such significance to his inclinations, then he would not be in need of relief to begin with.>>

I would argue all inclinations. I'd never looked at this issue like that before, (all inclinations) but I think it's important to realise that any inclinations you have are simply part of you as a person and your wider sense as a person is more important, not one element of your life alone.

At a higher level, how many things do you need to put out in a public environment to feel better? You may wish to come out and speak on topics that you feel have a broad public interest or are important (like protecting the environment) but I would not do so because of any personal emotional issues I have, I would talk about those with someone else.
Posted by NathanJ, Thursday, 28 October 2021 3:43:55 PM
"I watched this young man speaking on television"
Not just 'television' was it Foxy? No
- It was the A B C, wasn't it?

Taxpayers just funded his coming out party.

"He could not help smiling. He appeared so joyful, as if
something heavy had been lifted from his shoulders."

Maybe I could also get 15mins to tell how I debauched my girlfriend the other day?
- And how boys parts are made perfectly for girls parts;
- not bums which are made perfectly for doing poos?

Honestly I don't care if he's gay.
But why does his coming out party need taxpayer funded airtime?
Try Instagram or Tik Toc.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 28 October 2021 3:49:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. 15
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy