The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Australia slipping further into China's sphere of influence

Australia slipping further into China's sphere of influence

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. Page 15
  10. 16
  11. All
hey Banjo Paterson,
"Much to my regret, I have serious doubts that the final choice will be in terms of democracy or totalitarianism but, rather, the unique option that La Boétie termed “voluntary servitude” – in order to preserve whatever we can of our “too polite, too complacent and too disinterested” traditional Aussie lifestyle that we value above all else."

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety
Posted by Armchair Critic, Friday, 4 October 2019 12:20:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard

Dear Mr Opinion,

Mea culpa, I forgot to reply to your post of Wednesday, 2 October 2019 6:40:47 AM. Sorry about that.

You wrote :

« So why are you giving us this cut & paste account taken from some Google site? »

Whenever I consider it is necessary to recall the facts, I always check them before I post and try to reproduce them as faithfully as possible – including, dates, names, places, circumstances, statistics, etc. I’m afraid my memory is not good enough for me to rely on it alone for precise details.

Facts are facts and anybody can check them at their ease by whatever means they prefer.

However, I never reproduce comments, interpretations or opinions that are not my own unless I specifically cite the authors together with their corresponding references. Where applicable, I also provide a link to a relevant web site.

I hope this clarifies matters for you but please let me know if you have any further comments or questions.

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Friday, 4 October 2019 10:49:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard

Dear Armchair Critic,

You wrote :

« Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety »

I’m inclined to agree with you, Armchair Critic, but then, it depends on just how temporary is temporary. It also depends on our appreciation of each specific temporal event. Temporality is an eminently subjective notion.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that everything in the universe is temporary. Nothing is permanent and nothing is eternal.

Also, only getting three hours sleep every night could be a terrible ordeal but only working three hours a day could be great. Yet both have the same temporality.

By the same token, some people may feel more secure with less freedom, living in a country ruled by an authoritarian political regime where everything is controlled by the state and they have little or no personal responsibility.

They may see greater practical advantage in La Boétie’s “voluntary servitude” than in John Lock’s theoretical democracy.

As ttbn pointed out, our democracy in Australia is not all that democratic. Theoretically it is, but for all intents and purposes, it is more of an oligarchy than a democracy.

So, what difference does it make ?

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Saturday, 5 October 2019 9:31:24 AM
Some times its easy to get Foxy to see the truth.

So with just one of my post we went from Foxy asserting..."The Nurenburg Trials and other war crimes court cases were based
on the accounts of witnesses."

to Foxy agreeing with me (without acknowledging it - she'd never acknowledge it) when I said " The Holocaust was proven by investigators looking into the documentation of it"

with this from Foxy..."the Allied Military Command had full access to the German archives, "

It nice to see that sometimes, (not often but sometimes) I can educate those who are ignorant of the facts as to the truth of the issue.
Posted by mhaze, Saturday, 5 October 2019 7:32:29 PM
ttbn wrote: "The Chinese influence in Australia is hardly 'News and current affairs'. What we need is something done about; but nothing will be done about it when we have a 'leader' like Scott Morrison."

Sadly, I have to agree with you.
Posted by FrankU, Sunday, 6 October 2019 1:06:17 PM
mhaze,

You again choose the truth selectively and neglect
to mention the witness testimonies that were part and
parcel of the documented evidence presented in the
trials.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 6 October 2019 2:16:24 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. Page 15
  10. 16
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy