The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is Israel justified in its treatment of the Palestinians? (reverse postings)

Is Israel justified in its treatment of the Palestinians? (reverse postings)

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Just a little experiment I thought some might like to try, for the sake bringing some of the regular contributors to a closer understanding of each other.

I challenge all posters to try addressing the question from the other 'side's' point of view, rather than their own.
Posted by Kalin1, Wednesday, 1 August 2007 10:01:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Really YES, Kalin1 - the question remains whether the Jews in Australia are treated much better than Palestinians (even the Arabs of Palestine) in the Arab/Muslim world.
Posted by MichaelK., Wednesday, 1 August 2007 3:20:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry MichaelK, but I don't understand what you are getting at.

I'm not aware of any real issues about the way Jews are treated in Australia and therefore cannot see what your getting at with your comparison with the way Palestinians are treated in Arab countries. Seems you are addressing a whole different and far less significant question.

Care to elaborate?
Posted by Kalin1, Wednesday, 1 August 2007 3:43:18 PM
of course it is. god gave us this land. best title you can have. arab/moslems must get out of the way of owners, and if they cause trouble, well, a quick bullet to the head straightens them out.

it's too bad they got in the habit of camping on our land while we were unavoidably detained getting back here after getting chucked out by the romans, but not our fault. this is jewish land, and this is a jewish atom bomb. and if the neighbors don't quiet down soon we will have to quieten them.
Posted by DEMOS, Wednesday, 1 August 2007 3:57:39 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Demos,

Thanks for the effort, but the hard part is to do it without simply being sarcastic. I know you're smart from your many posts so I'm sure you could make a serious attempt if you want to. Please do.

Try and address the current situation. Make the best argument you can as to why Israeli's are justified in putting up walls, "settling" disputed land, and arresting people merely suspected of anti-israeli activities - children even.

I'd love to see someone like Leigh, DB or White Warlock try arguing the other side too.

Being able to look at look at something from more than one perspective is can do. People who can't are either stupid, or in denial.
Posted by Kalin1, Wednesday, 1 August 2007 4:17:45 PM
Security. That is how Israel's actions can be justified. If I were in a situation where there was a possibility someone would blow me up I would be putting up walls and arresting people. I would also be trying to contol as much disputed territory as possible, to take control away from those who may want to, or in some cases explicitly state they want to harm me.

I think that fear is what fuels the crises in Israel/Palestine. I think that both sides have alot to fear. If I was an Israeli i would be fearful of being blown up, of losing the security that a jewish state provides especially after the holocaust, of my hostile neighbours. I cannot imagine the insecurity of living somehwere where all my neighbours want me gone and my allies, as powerful as they are, are on the other side of the world.

Similarly, I cannot imagine the insecurity felt by Palestinians who have lost their homes and have to fight to maintain their identity and dignity, whose 'allies' (other Arab states) also treat them like lepers.

I think that looking for justifications for either sides past actions is missing the point. For any kind of sustainable peace to emerge out of this both parties must try and put aside fear and animosity to work towards a cooperative future. It is easier said then done I appreciate, but lets face it, the Palestinians are not going anywhere and neither are the Israelis.
Posted by Pitt bull pat, Wednesday, 1 August 2007 4:55:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy