The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Impending Execution of Messre CHAN & SUKUMARAN: Morally right, or Wrong ?

Impending Execution of Messre CHAN & SUKUMARAN: Morally right, or Wrong ?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. All
I'm with Foxy on this one.

I believe the death penalty is an inappropriate punishment for a country such as ours to have on the statutes.

However, I equally believe that a country has the absolute right to make the laws that its own citizens support, and that we are in no tenable position to interfere with their decision. If one of those is the death penalty for drug smuggling, so be it.

I also believe there would be reistance in this country to a similar interference with our lawmaking process, and the responsibilities that go with that.
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 4 February 2015 1:35:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'afternoon to you good people...

Thanks for your response's I appreciate it. BANJO, you wrote 'no interest' why on earth did you bother wasting your time at all ?

I see none of you have much sympathy for these two, and I must admit I've never dealt with them either, but a mate of mine has, and his summation of them both is pretty accurate by all accounts ? They are nasty pieces of work and deserve 'the lot' to coin a well used crim term. Neither of them 'deserve' any sympathy at all, such is the corporeality of their previous criminal antecedents.

BAZZ, I'm not sure if the Indonesian prison system has 'hard labour' or 'penal servitude' facilities within their institutions ? So your suggestion they both be 'put to work' within the prison, though a good idea, I'm not sure such facilities actually exist ?

I heard one 'talk back' caller suggest they be returned to OZ to serve a lengthy custodial sentence ? Well, to me that would represent going from one extreme to the other. The death penalty, to a life of reasonable leisure, comparatively speaking. And these two would take every advantage possible to 'run with the heavies' should the opportunity exist ? Even if their execution were to be commuted, I'm not sure if the Indonesian's would have any truck with allowing their gaols to be 'unofficially' controlled like they are here in Oz ?

Long Bay, as I've said previously, is run by the Bikie gangs, followed by the Lebanese gangs, with a few smaller Asian gangs ? Therefore if these two were to be returned to Oz, they would 'fit it' very well indeed within the existing structure. That would be a colossal joke on us, if that were to occur, and the Indonesian authorities wouldn't be too pleased either ?

I don't know of course, but I have this sense these two will be executed. If not, the new Indonesian government would lose far too much 'face' if they were seen to yield to any Aussie pressure, to spare them ?
Posted by o sung wu, Wednesday, 4 February 2015 1:54:38 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm sorry JAY of MELBOURNE & SUSEONLINE...

SUSEONLINE...

You appear concerned at the preferred execution method exercised by the Indonesian government ? Saying it seemed barbaric and somewhat outdated. I agree to a certain extent it does seem cruel ? Without being too specific SUSE, but I've been 'up close and personal' with individuals who've been both severely wounded and killed outright, by small arms fire. All I can say, depending on the POA and POI death is almost instantaneous. Most officially sanctioned firing squads would use ball ammunition and receive very clear instructions where they were to aim, thus reducing the likelihood of inflicting excessive suffering. I'm sure the Indonesian F/S members would be well disciplined and appropriately trained' for such a duty ?

F.O.I JAY of MELBOURNE...There exists only one POA on the human anatomy where if hit, death would be instantaneous and completely painless. All officially trained snipers (military & police) in the West, use this POA for both strategic and tactical reasons, nothing whatsoever to do with reducing human suffering. The desired effect is apparent, described by medical doctor's as similar to 'turning off the lights'. Whether the Indonesian's deploy that POA, I don't know, but they should ?
Posted by o sung wu, Wednesday, 4 February 2015 2:35:26 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
O sung,
Yeah, you'd hope they'd put a target over his heart but the coup de grace, if needed comes seconds after the initial volley, that article about botched lethal injections talks about prisoners thrashing about and choking for almost half an hour.
The problem with lethal injection is that they can't get a doctor to participate in the mixing of the chemicals, the loading of the syringes or the setting of the IV line. I read a book about capital punishment in the U.S called "The Execution Protocol" by Stephen Trombley and there were examples not only of botched executions but prisoners in agony from having IV needles improperly inserted and chemicals injected into their muscles instead of their veins and gruesome IV cutdown procedures being performed by unqualified people on men whose veins were wrecked by prior drug use.
It's a bleak thought but I think I'd trust an Indonesian prison officer to shoot straight rather than to have one open up my leg with a scalpel looking for a vein to inject into.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Wednesday, 4 February 2015 2:54:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Indeed JAY of MELBOURNE...

Those few Western nations who still engage in Capital Punishment have been trying for years to find a more 'humane' way of effectively killing people, without any of the usual theatrics associated with executions. So far they seem to have failed, notwithstanding their advanced technologies.

I visited the State Penitentiary, at Concord MA and viewed their so called 'death house' though not used for some time I understand. From my conversations, it was not that hard to find those willing to participate in executions ? Not being any sort of expert, I really wouldn't know.

I suppose as long as the Indonesians are properly trained, I guess their F/S is as good as anything ? Still, I'm opposed to capital punishment, however clever they may ultimately become at putting an individual to death. Long sentences, seem a better way to get the message across.

One thing I will say, many people state that capital punishment doesn't deter people from committing serious crime ? I believe capital punishment is NOT meant as a deterrence, it's meant as the 'punishment', not as a process for deterrence !
Posted by o sung wu, Wednesday, 4 February 2015 4:51:16 PM
o sung wu

it would seem very wrong to execute Indonesia's and other countries drug pushers and then let these two off because they are Australian. In saying that I would hate to be the one putting the bullet in the head. Also when I look at our system (which you are well aware of) crimmnals of the highest order laugh at the stupidity of our judges. Journalist, social engineers,lawyers and judges are all guilty of allowing the rapist to reoffend, drug pushers to get off lightly and for our streets to be filled with blokes like the one that murdered/raped the abc worker and the recent islamic terrorist in Martin place.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 4 February 2015 5:17:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. All