The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Impending Execution of Messre CHAN & SUKUMARAN: Morally right, or Wrong ?

Impending Execution of Messre CHAN & SUKUMARAN: Morally right, or Wrong ?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. 12
  11. All
I would give them the same consideration they gave their intended victims, those who were likely to have their lives ruined by their drugs.

Reformed my fat you know what. They are as reformed as any outlaw, for as long as it takes them to get free.

They are a waste of space, in or out of prison, & the sooner the planet has their space the better. The only thing the Indonesians have done wrong, is they took far too long clearing this garbage off the planet.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 4 February 2015 10:14:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No interest
Posted by Banjo, Wednesday, 4 February 2015 10:35:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen, in his usual ignorance of criminal justice matters, has highlighted a point that so many calling for blood overlook:

"I would give them the same consideration they gave their intended victims..." (http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=6726#204521)

The fact that the intent was to profit, not to harm others (and as far as I'm aware, always is in these situations) is overlooked when people support the death penalty in cases like these under the pretense that, "they were willing to profit from the deaths and misery of others." If the intention is to harm others, then there are far more efficient ways of going about it. People who want to harm others usually get kick out of seeing that harm done too. That’s very hard to do when selling drugs to middlemen.

Death penalty or no death penalty, I'm glad our justice system is rational enough to take such factors into consideration. Intent matters and so does the effectiveness of a penalty.

Indonesia's president has expressed his desire for a hard-line stance because of the damage drugs obviously do to Indonesia's society. However, someone apparently forgot to tell him that this does nothing to stop the problem. Because (as Chan and Sukumaran even demonstrated when they explained that they were just excited about getting to Australia and making a packet) people who do these things never think of the potential negative consequences; they only ever hyperfocus on the potential rewards. So saying that “they knew what the risks were” is also a bit naive.
Posted by AJ Philips, Wednesday, 4 February 2015 10:51:19 AM
Hasbeen we've seen their callous attitude toward drug users, addicts Scott Rush and Renae Lawrence were ruthlessly exploited by Sukumaran and Chan and if their conspiracy had succeeded they'd have been back in Australia exploiting more hapless junkies. These two are horrible people who according to the other members of the group threatened harm to the families of their couriers if they didn't do what they were told.

Suse,
A bullet to the heart is more merciful than lethal injection, there are some horrifying stories of the way inmates die in U.S death chambers and some states have suspended the practice as "cruel and unusual".
http://rt.com/usa/162108-ohio-moratorium-death-penalty-drugs/

The main attraction of the Leuchter euthanasia machine is the fact that it operates on a three key system, three operators insert their keys to the console to begin the execution process but an electronic system randomly activates only one of the circuits and nobody knows who has actually "pressed the button" so to speak.
The same logic is applied to firing squads:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_Indonesia#Method
"Capital punishment is carried out in Indonesia by a firing squad. The prisoner blindfolded is led to a grassy area where they have an option to kneel or stand.[5] The 12 armed executioners shoot the prisoner in the chest from a range of five to ten metres.[5] Only three live bullets and the rest fire blanks.[5] If the prisoner does not die, the Commander is required to issue a final bullet to the prisoner's head.[6]"
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Wednesday, 4 February 2015 11:10:27 AM
It is murder and Indonesia will regret doing it.
Posted by mikk, Wednesday, 4 February 2015 11:41:00 AM
Dear O Sung Wu,

Indonesia has very strict laws and the death penalty
for drug smuggling and dealing.

Anybody who
travels to countries with such laws and then
undertakes to break those laws should be aware
of the consequences. Unfortunately, these leaders
of the drug smuggling gangs were aware of the
consequences and were prepared to take the risks
endangering the other nine that were involved.

Personally I am against capital punishment and certainly
death by firing-squad. However, I don't live in
Indonesia and I don't know how big the problem
of drug-smuggling is over there.

I would prefer that these men would receive a life-sentence,
but ultimately the decision rests with Indonesia.
And it appears that it has already been made.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 4 February 2015 1:05:36 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. 12
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy