The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Boston Bombing & the Second Amendment (Guns) - Is there any relationship ?

The Boston Bombing & the Second Amendment (Guns) - Is there any relationship ?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 14
  9. 15
  10. 16
  11. All
Dear o sung wu,

I've just read the following website and thought
that it may be of some interest to others:

http://newmatilda.com/2013/04/16/why-we-need-run-crowds

Some of the comments are interesting as well.
Posted by Lexi, Thursday, 18 April 2013 11:26:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear o sung wu,

I'm not exactly sure where you are headed with this when you write; “It was during one of his more truculent episodes yesterday, when I heard him trying to connect the Marathon Bombings, with the tough new gun laws, just recently enacted in the State of Massachusetts (Boston)?

Are you saying the bombing may have been a reaction by somebody on the loony right to the impending gun laws (which now look increasingly unlikely with the senate voting down background checks)? Given the timing this is not beyond the bounds of probability. Crazies like the two you have mentioned plus Alex Jones have been inciting a violent response for years.

Or are you saying this may have been an action on behalf of the government to validate stronger gun laws, as if a massacre in a primary school wasn't enough.

In fact a 'false flag' question was the first to be put at the second Boston Marathon news conference.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=203b3moMQkM

You also wrote;

“Here in Oz, we all know, it's not the licenced bloke with his licenced F/A. It's the illegal F/A in possession of the unlicensed bloke. Another development, post Port Arthur we now have a burgeoning cottage business with the ever expanding industry of the importation of illegal F/A's ?”

Well that is not the full story either.

“A COVERT police operation in Geelong has uncovered a criminal network targeting farmers for their firearms.
Taskforce Griffin, set up in February, is probing a breakout in gun crimes involving 41 burglaries in which 124 firearms were stolen.”
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2013/04/13/362857_news.html

It is the legal gun owners who are not securing their weapons properly that are feeding criminal gangs with firearms. The question will be just how prepared the government is about enforcing responsible gun ownership.
Posted by csteele, Thursday, 18 April 2013 12:13:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes o sung, bombs the ultimate cowards weapon, but what can we do about it?

Then the gun question. I'm from an era when I was given my first air rifle at 12. At 14 I was supplementing the families fresh food with rabbits shot with a 22.

Back then we all had rifles, as had our predecessors. We would not have been able to hold the Japs on the Kokoda Track without a militia made up of young blokes who were experienced gun handlers at home, before the invasion.

We never heard of folks killing each other with guns back then, despite everyone having them, so the problem is not the gun itself. It is with the people who use them in such a way. As Boston proves, you don't need a gun to kill or to maim hundreds.

Could a product of modern high population cities be causing much of these problems. Remember the experiment with laboratory rats, where they increased the numbers in an enclosure. At a certain level of overcrowding, they started killing each other. It is a terrifying thought, that this could be us.

Could it be some other factor of modern living? I don't find it all that stressful, but it is almost 40 years since I lived deep in a large city. Perhaps it's easier out on the fringe.

What ever, I'm very glad that today I have no interest in anything within cities, or involving large crowds, that appear such a target.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 18 April 2013 12:36:41 PM
csteele, "It is the legal gun owners who are not securing their weapons properly that are feeding criminal gangs with firearms"

Your allegation is a fabrication, completely baseless and devoid of fact.

Anyone with a smidgen of knowledge of firearms laws would know that if the firearms were not in approved safes the police would have charged owners for failing to secure their firearms. But you would also want to make innocent victims of crime responsible for the crimes committed against them. That is a return to (say) the woman being held responsible for her own rape. Popular in Islamic countries reportedly. Your authoritarianism would see similar changes here.

What is a worry though is that the very gun registration that is supposed to prevent crime is the likely source of information for thefts. Any cop can access that data on all owners, what is held and where, and without leaving a trace of his query.

Apart from that it is mendacious of you to set hares running on lawful, licensed firearms owners when there is no evidence whatsoever to justify the claim. Might as well ban pressure cookers and backpacks since some were used for the bombs. Pressure cookers are commonly used in Afghanistan as containers for bombs. So doubtless cooks are likely suspects you would say.
Posted by onthebeach, Thursday, 18 April 2013 12:49:05 PM
Hasbeen <"We never heard of folks killing each other with guns back then, despite everyone having them, so the problem is not the gun itself. It is with the people who use them in such a way. As Boston proves, you don't need a gun to kill or to maim hundreds. ".

Apart from the many thousands killed in the 2 world wars you mean?

Let's see...which would I rather contend with (1) a bomb such as the one in Boston Marathon recently, or (2) a gunman carrying a machine gun shooting people at the Boston marathon?

I wonder which weapon would have killed the most people Hasbeen?
Posted by Suseonline, Thursday, 18 April 2013 1:19:33 PM
O Sung Wu,
Reading the article that csteele posted, the police were more concerned about the stolen handguns, which are favoured by crims. Farmers tend to have sporting type longarms so a crim is not likely to score a favoured weapon by targeting farmers residences.

It has been suggested there has been some breaching of security of the gun registry that has enabled crims to locate where handguns are stored.

On the matter of who did the Boston bombing. It is noted that Islamists have committed over 20,000 terrorist acts (mostly bombings) since 9/11, so they have the runs on the board. From crude home made devices to very sophisicated bombs.

I suggest we wait untill the investigation progresses before further spectulation.
Posted by Banjo, Thursday, 18 April 2013 1:20:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 14
  9. 15
  10. 16
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy