The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Boston Bombing & the Second Amendment (Guns) - Is there any relationship ?

The Boston Bombing & the Second Amendment (Guns) - Is there any relationship ?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. Page 15
  10. 16
  11. All
'afternoon to you ARJAY...

Personally, I don't like Pres. Obama, but if you were to ask why, I'm not sure I could answer you ?

I have a good friend who's just recently 'pulled the pin' on the FBI, after years in it's employ. Previously, he was a Marine Corps Capt. with service in Vietnam. A taciturn, quiet individual who'd never openly criticised or pilloried 'the Bureau' as they call it, but when I asked him in an Email why, all he'd say was the Bureau had changed.

Inferring that the modern FBI of today, was not the Bureau that he'd joined years ago ? This bloke was the former PFI for a large chunk of the lower 48, when he was removed (compulsorily, due to age, 65) from the 'active list'. As many of them (SA's) do in theses circumstances, he took on a five year (unsworn) contract with them, finally severing his connection with them altogether, quite recently.

Again, this bloke kept his own counsel, but after me continually trying to 'tease out' his reason(s) for doing so, from the little he did admit to, the Bureau had been politically 'weakened' or 'tempered' in many ways. Much like a lion or tiger having it's claws removed ? Both outwardly remain a Lion and a Tiger ? The FBI is still considered a formidable law enforcement agency, but in his view and many of his peer group's opinion, in recent times, it has been substantially, (politically) changed !

I guess that's what happens in the US. A Republican President will ensure these agencies remain strong and effective. Where a Democratic President has other priorities, within his administration that may take a higher profile ? Anyway, what would I know ?

So anything you would reveal to me ARJAY, ol' friend, may well shock me absolutely ! But after that shock subsided, I'd not be at all surprised !

President Obama is very much a 'Dove'. Where in these troubled times, what is needed, is a 'Hawk' !
Posted by o sung wu, Sunday, 21 April 2013 4:21:44 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
s sung wu, "..the Bureau had been politically 'weakened' or 'tempered' in many ways.."

VicPol and Christine Nixon.
Posted by onthebeach, Sunday, 21 April 2013 4:42:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi there ONTHEBEACH...

ONTHEBEACH, please be kind to this decrepit ol' man and desist from ever mentioning the dreadful 'political correctness' detritus, if you please ?

You can check with HASBEEN - Back in the late fifties, early sixties, we routinely carried our SMLE's (bolt removed) on trains and buses, in full uniform, and many an old digger would give you a wink or nod as well as some of those lovely courtly older ladies, always so elegant in their beautiful hats, they would reward you with a gentle smile, a comment of good cheer...? What on earth has happened to us ?

Years ago, I spent some time with the STP the precursor to the NSW HWP. I was attached to Albury. My patrol extended north, up the Hwy. to Tarcutta (where they made the best, biggest, and nicest hamburgers in the world). Tarcutta had a small RSL club, outside of which sat a 18 pounder field gun, a joy for every kid along the highway to sit upon, have their photographs taken.

We worked shifts so occasionally, we'd call in 'off air' at Tarcutta, for our meal break, throw on a jumper over our uniform and have a cold drink, chips and salad etc. in the back of the club. Being armed and on duty, we shared the driving, it was out of view of the public and STRICTLY confined to soft drinks or juices.

Anyhow, we got to know the Sec/Mgr. pretty well, and even way back in the 1970's he said they were insisting the RSL remove that old gun out of the view of the public, because of complaints that it was located on the highway. Apparently it did not leave the correct impression, to leave the many thousands of tourists who travelled the Hume daily, to see this huge Gun pointing out across the highway !

Initially, I thought he was having a lend of us, but no, it was true ? This was the earliest advent and my first exposure to rabid 'political correctness'.

The rest as they say is history ?
Posted by o sung wu, Sunday, 21 April 2013 5:24:40 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'afternoon to you CSTEELE and ONTHEBEACH...

ONTHEBEACH you are right, I forgot about the Victorian experience, an abject failure from all accounts. Yet her Dad is a terrific bloke and a good copper ?

CSTEELE...

You're correct apropos the US and many of the minorities over there fearing police. Which is counter productive for the cops there making their job that much harder.

When I was working I found, those who fear police, either me personally, or the organisation as a whole - there is a variety of 'hatred' or loathing, that more often accompanies that fear ?

With that 'hatred', comes lack of co-operation, nil communication, all manner of 'hindering', an absence of trust, and passive hostility. Also there is often even a inexplicable partisan alliance with the crooks ? Most of these people positively dislike the crooks. But they strenuously 'hate' the police with a vengeance.

Thankfully, we've not reached that, which now seems to exists in the US. Believe it or not, it's even worse in the UK ! Open hostility toward police in the major and provincial cities of the UK. Most of it is caused by race and Islamic matters.

I have a very close friend formerly in the West Midland Police College, Birmingham. He's was the faculty of law, head. Some years ago, he was OIC of IID. All his work was confined to matters of complaints against police and was totally 'race based'. He's close to retirement now thus cutting out much of his RL and LSL. He's written a book, his 3rd, (the other two on Traffic Legality) about 'race based policing models' or a similar title, for the United Kingdom.

He's said, there's a specific prohibition on him from submitting the manuscript to a publishing house, until the Home Office provides him with official clearance to do so. Apparently, on pain of prosecution ? So much for the freedom of speech eh ? Should he be of another ethnic mix, he'd no doubt receive resounding support to have the thing published ?

Again, thank you for your contribution CSTEELE.
Posted by o sung wu, Sunday, 21 April 2013 6:37:02 PM
Along with thousands of others I carried it bolt in. You cleared your rifle and the bolt want always closed at the end of that. Always clean. Always ready to rock'n'roll.

As a full bore competitor (300x to 1000x) for school and club I also carried a SMLE with 'Central' aperture sights. On the bike, in the street and on public transport. We didn't have gun bags then. I was often asked why the 'odd' sights and why the slightly different wood and the bit of barrel sticking out a bit further from the end wood (that was a No4 Mark1). Those of us in comps took some boxes of cartridges with us because the ammunition detail could be a bit slow.

We were trained and led by men. Never an accident or a wrongdoing over all of the years and over all of Australia.

It was federal government budget meanness that eventually damaged the Cadet units.

Later I carried a shotgun and a carry bag of heavy 12G boxes for skeet and clays, on public transport to link to my lift to the range. Thousands did the same and never a hint of a problem.
Posted by onthebeach, Sunday, 21 April 2013 6:38:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear o sung wu,

I'm afraid the FBI haven't been that well regarded by our own Fed's. My brother did his 20 with them and whenever the topic of the FBI was raised with he or his colleges the 'Famous But Incompetent' tag was invariably used.

I had always put it down to inter-service rivalry until 9/11 when some serious shortcomings and dare I say massive incompetence were revealed for all to see. I suspect your friend may well have despaired about the actions of the high command.

As to disrespect toward police in the UK if this clip is anything to go by you have a point.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLapEePIOeo

However I'm not sure how ethnic he is. Sound like a typical Geordie prat. It serves to remind me that I could never be a policeman, I think I would be reaching for this bloke's throat.

But you don't have to look far to see disrespect. You could just saunter over to Hasbeen's threat where you will find it in spades;
http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=5749&page=0

On to Smellys, mine had the flip up ranging rear sight. Loved that rifle. Had to leave it behind when the family moved overseas. I enjoyed tricking my friends with the little half cock on the bolt that froze the weapon. I use to think I was pretty quick getting through a mag on target until a friend of my father's put me back in my box.
Posted by csteele, Sunday, 21 April 2013 8:43:25 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. Page 15
  10. 16
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy